Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: hand-held ballistic calculator  (Read 2110 times)

Offline HunterDan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Basic Member
hand-held ballistic calculator
« on: 12:54 PM, 12/04/12 »
  • Looking for a good hand held unit with a long range ballistic calculator for my brother-in-law for a Christmas present.  He doesn't have a smart phone because he doesn't want the monthly bill.

Anyone have a hand held unit that they would recommend?  Something tough and durable enough for hunting trips.  I use Strelock on my smart phone and it works pretty good.

thanks

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #1 on: 01:10 PM, 12/04/12 »
  • Don't know if you would call it handheld or not, but I have a 7" tablet with Strelok installed.  Paid $95 for the tablet.  It's called a Latte.
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Max Power

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #2 on: 02:55 PM, 12/04/12 »
  • See if you can find a used ipod Touch on ebay. Uses wifi only, so no phone bill, and should run most iOS apps, including ballistic calculators.

Offline Jay Christopherson

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+36)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 04:27 PM, 12/04/12 »
  • See if you can find a used ipod Touch on ebay. Uses wifi only, so no phone bill, and should run most iOS apps, including ballistic calculators.

Yep, I used to use Ballistic on an iPod touch, works great, no plan required.

Offline broncman

• Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 04:59 PM, 12/04/12 »
  • Any of the new pad type devices with wifi. You can then download apps. I have Shooter, Strelok, and a Lapua.

Shooter has been the most accurate for me.

Offline Dante

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 02:23 PM, 12/10/12 »
  • One idea going back to your smart phone comment... your bro in law can get an LG Optimus on Amazon for under $100 and then do Virgin Mobile for $55.00 mth total. Its a tad slower than an iPhone but doable.

Offline joemax

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: 11:29 PM, 02/07/13 »
  • iPod touch4g your choice of ballistics program(I use Ballistic) and a Bad Elf wireless gps that connects to my pod with Bluetooth. The GPS is the best I have used under the thick forest canopy that dominates western Oregon. That said I have never used any handheld GPS that cost more than about 100 bucks. 150.00 for bad elf GPS and 130 for a new iPod touch 4g and 10-15 for ballistics program. The GPS also works better than the internal GPS on the iPhone 5 I compared it to.

Offline kelbro

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 06:23 PM, 02/13/13 »
  • 308. 175gr SMKs and 178gr AMaxes. Strelok+ was dead-on on my come-ups from 800-900 and 900-1000. Ballistic in my iDevices was quite a ways off. Same parameters entered in both. Your mileage may vary and I haven't compared them with any different calibers yet.

Get a cheap Android tablet or smartphone and load up the free Strelok and you will be good to go.

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #8 on: 08:58 PM, 02/13/13 »
  • Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you're computer savvy enough to wipe out a tablet and start over, you need to purchase a tablet that has or lets you load the Google Play Store in order to get Strelok or Shooter.  I bought a Latte tablet for $95 from Amazon that had the Google Play already loaded and I downloaded the Strelok app.  Strelok is very close to JBM but I still wish it would accept G7 BCs.
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.