Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: preferred .280 Remington factory ammo  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Jay Christopherson

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Ace Member
preferred .280 Remington factory ammo
« on: 03:28 PM, 12/01/12 »
  • Looking for some suggestions on factory hunting ammo for .280 Remington on behalf of a friend.  My suggestion was to pick up a reloading set and make whatever he wants, but I don't think he's into it.

My personal suggestion was to look for factory ammo featuring the Hornady GMX or Barnes TSX bullets, but not having a .280 Rem, I dunno what typically shoots well.

"This country guarantees your freedom of speech, not a guarantee that what you say is correct" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline jkats

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #1 on: 06:10 PM, 12/01/12 »
  • I don't know what he is hunting but for deer i love the 140 grain nosler grain ballistic tips, i don't know whats out there for factory ammo but that bullet has given me great results.

Offline MildBill

• Trade Count: (+15)
    « Reply #2 on: 11:58 PM, 12/01/12 »
  • My model 700 bdl stainless likes the Rem 140 grain core lkt load and the federal load with the 140 grain nosler ballistic tip, it likes them both very well, both a little under inch groups at 100 yards.

It does not like the hornady superformance factory load, and I have never been able to get it to shoot hornday bullets near as well as others when working up hand loads for it either. Might just be this particular rifles quirks.

Offline JRS

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+51)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 01:01 PM, 12/02/12 »
  • I don't shoot the 280, but have a friend who killed a big cow elk in Colorado last year shooting the Federal Vital-Shok ammo in 280 Remington. It is loaded with the Barnes TSX bullet. They ranged it at 327 yards. Whacked off a piece of the shoulder, and took out both lungs. Bullet exited the off side. Don said it hunkered down on it's rear, then dropped dead.

Offline Exocet

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #4 on: 05:28 AM, 12/07/12 »
  • I have a Krieger barreled Remington 700 in 280 Remington.  Mine absolutely loves the Hornady 139 SST Superformance Ammo.  It does so well that my handloads with 139 SST's can't match it.  I practice with the handloads all year long then take the factory Superformance hunting.  Kills PA deer like they were lightening struck. 

Offline 1holeaddict

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+54)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 05:50 PM, 12/09/12 »
  • It is kinda hard to beat the sst or ballistic tips for the shock and awe but any bullet will kill em just the same. I used 140 Nosler Partitions this year here in Pa but out of a 7mm08. The first doe was at 182 yards and was hit thru both lungs. She ran 50-60 yards and then tumbled. The second was hit at 70 yards thru the shoulder and made hamburger out of 3/4 of the heart. She ran over 100 yards with no heart. Thankfully she headed down hill right towards my truck  :)The bullet did its job and exit holes were substantial but neither dropped on the spot. They were dead on their feet.
    The LESS you EXPECT in the beginning the LESS you will be DISAPPOINTED in the end.

Offline Stormbringer

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #6 on: 12:37 PM, 12/10/12 »
  • I would purhase a few good factory loads and then take the rifle out and shoot it.  You will have to determine which one shoots the most accurate.  That would then be my load. 

Mike.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.