Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Berger 195 grain 7mm EOL Hunting bullet  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Ace Member
Berger 195 grain 7mm EOL Hunting bullet
« on: 03:24 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • Bryan Litz has released this drawing of the new Berger 195 grain 7mm Hybrid hunting bullet. It appears to need an 8.5" twist. The calculated freebore, based upon the 180 Hybrid, is:

.284 Win/Shehane - .231"
    7mm WSM - .233"
    7mm RSAUM - .223"
    « Last Edit: 05:03 PM, 12/04/12 by sleepygator »
    Sleepygator

Offline AZ BR FAN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #1 on: 05:25 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • What will the B.C. be on this bullet ??

Offline barnesuser28

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 06:23 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • By contrast, the caliber .30, 230 grain Hybrid has a published G7 B.C. of .380. Based on 1000 yard trajectory, pointing it produces ~.41 G7 B.C. The 195 grain 7mm already has a smaller meplat and may not benefit as much from pointing but should still show a measurable improvement. While the 7mm may not be able to achieve any more velocity than the 230, it will obviously have significantly less recoil.
    Sleepygator

Offline glo

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #4 on: 07:03 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • I've been hearing about these bullets for 9 months. I just want to know when they will be available. My rifle is 1:7.5 twist, that barrel is 28” and case capacity is 80gr or so of US869 for this bullet. My cartridge is a wildcat ballistically the same as a 7mm Dakota. With a coal of 3.6 (based on the info given that this bullet is based on the 180br hybrid) I hope to get 2750fps as a muzzle velocity. I can't wait.
    Life is a journey not a destination

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 07:26 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • Here's a QuickLOAD delimited line for those who want to do some what-ifs.

".284, 195, Berger Hybrid G7             ","195","1.637","5.944","7.21","5.715","G7","2",".284",".406",".406","","","","","","","","","","25"
    Sleepygator

Offline wildchild

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    « Reply #6 on: 09:11 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • imagine what ya would have if ya designed a bullet in .30 cal that needed a 1.8-5 twist?? ;)
    "A Stafford without spirit is as an angel without wings"
    PAYPAL ready
    NRA member

Offline glo

« Reply #7 on: 10:11 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • imagine what ya would have if ya designed a bullet in .30 cal that needed a 1.8-5 twist?? ;)

Using Greenhill's equation: MV 2600fps from a .30-378WM from a cup-n-core bullet (sg 10.9), it would be 2.0" long and weight 280gr (profile VLD). Load From A Disc and my math says I could get 2761fps at max pressure of 63861psi from a 26" barrel using 108gr of US869 @ 100% load density. So the bullet could be longer and hevier for the big case but than would rule out anything lest that a 300 RUM.

Offline SuperiorRifles

• Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #8 on: 07:58 AM, 11/13/12 »
  • I've been hearing about these bullets for 9 months. I just want to know when they will be available. My rifle is 1:7.5 twist, that barrel is 28” and case capacity is 80gr or so of US869 for this bullet. My cartridge is a wildcat ballistically the same as a 7mm Dakota. With a coal of 3.6 (based on the info given that this bullet is based on the 180br hybrid) I hope to get 2750fps as a muzzle velocity. I can't wait.

I'm with you GLO, when can we get our hands on some these bad boys? I have a 1-8 twist that will finish at 27" to be chambered in 7mmLRM. This gun is being build with the 195's in mind. Can't wait to do some load testing, and hoping for close to 3000 fps. Wishful thinking?

Offline barnesuser28

« Reply #9 on: 08:34 AM, 11/13/12 »
  • Their tooling will come in in december but then they have to do accuracy testing and torture testing. Could be spring of next year? How fast do you think i could push the 195 in a 24" 284 Win? Im hoping for like 2550 fps.

Offline glo

« Reply #10 on: 09:14 AM, 11/13/12 »
  • I will torture their bullets for free. 1 in 7.5 should do it.  ;D

Give me about 3 hours and I can have loads worked up from H4831 to US896. Accuracy is no problem as my rifle regularly puts 3 bullets through the same hole. I use 5 shots as a group. So I average 3/8th of an inch at 100yds. I would expected big boats like that to print 1/2” at 100. One would think it would take at least 300yds for those bullets to go to sleep.

Then by the end of the day, I could load up again after find the velocity node in my rifle and put the bullet thru its paces on the range to 1000yds. I would say by 5 o'clock the same day we would know a whole lot.  8)
    « Last Edit: 09:16 AM, 11/13/12 by glo »

Offline nddodd

• Trade Count: (+6)
    « Reply #11 on: 05:01 PM, 12/04/12 »
  • Anyone know if my 1-8.75" twist chambered in 7mm dakota will stabilize these.  If so I'll certainly be getting in line to get some.  How much longer before they are available?

Nathan

Offline NCFrank

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: 05:49 PM, 12/04/12 »
  • nddodd,

Try the Twist Rate Calculator on Berger site.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAlt.php

Offline barnesuser28

« Reply #13 on: 08:17 PM, 12/07/12 »
  • The latest on the 195 grain Berger EOL, quote from Eric Stecker

A few thoughts from the horse's mouth on the 7mm 195 gr.

The bullet tooling is finished and has been tested with successful results. This means that we can make bullets that match the design dimensions, nothing more. We used prototype jackets since the length of the jacket we needed was not certain.

Now that the length of the jacket needed is known we have it in our schedule to make standard issue, J4 match grade jackets. The fact is that the election has us overwhelmed with demand. This means only that we can't get these jackets made tomorrow but they will be made soon.

Then, they will be sent to Bob and a few other folks (Kirby for one) to be tested and abused. If these tests prove to be positive then the bullets will be regularly available as soon as we make more (once the test results are confirmed). I won't BS you. This could take 2 to 12 month depending on what happens during the testing phase.

I'll remind everyone that this is a totally new concept. It is in fact not as close to the recently tested 270 cal 170 gr bullet as Bob posted about. The 170 gr is outside the norm but not nearly as much as the 195 gr. Having said that, the 270 cal 170 gr has performed well in abuse testing and is now going to terminal performance testing. The good news is that so far everything looks good.

Something to keep in mind about the 7mm 195 gr, we are making it with the idea in mind that it will be pushed hard in larger cases. The heavier weight and sleek design is a big leap forward in performance (if it works). In smaller cases much MV will be lost due to the heavy weight which may produce a wash in performance compared to 180 gr bullets.

I'll admit that this is a generalization based on no factual testing data at this time but I don't want anyone to think that we are creating the next lazer beam. It is still a bullet subject to all the same influences and physics realities as every other bullet.

Regards,
    Eric

Offline calinb

• Basic Member
    « Reply #14 on: 02:22 PM, 12/06/13 »
  • Does anyone have a 1-year update?  Did this 195 gr. Berger remain vaporware?  Good thing I didn't throat my Krieger barrel long enough for it and opted to just keep my throating reamer at the ready and wait and see!

Thanks for any updates on any progress.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.