Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .308 win and Berger 185gr Juggernauts  (Read 3001 times)

Offline amlevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ace Member
.308 win and Berger 185gr Juggernauts
« on: 10:04 AM, 11/10/12 »
  • Anyone loading these for their .308 winchester?  I've read that many are having good results but not many sharing any load information.

Contacted Berger and all they sent me was a page from Quick Load which wasn't all that informative.

Any here with personal experience?  Good powder?  Good starting load?

Offline Busdriver

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    • 308 - 6 Dasher - Straight 284, Love 'em
    « Reply #1 on: 11:38 AM, 11/10/12 »
  • Use Varget, there are a couple of good nodes. Most run them at the high node for long range and the lower node for mid range.

The high node charge depends on barrel, chamber, and throat, but typically comes in somewhere near 43.5 to 44.5 grains. This will be right at or near max, so work up.

When's the next match?

Offline dreever

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 07:22 PM, 11/10/12 »
  • +1 for what busdriver said. Id stick with Lapua brass, and use CCI 250's. Right around 43.0-43.3 seems to work the best for me in my .308. In my 24 inch Bartlein 11 twist seated at max mag length of 2.885 I'm getting 2610 fps with stellar accuracy.

Danny

Offline Cody Richardson

• Trade Count: (+17)
    « Reply #3 on: 07:31 PM, 11/10/12 »
  • I shoot the 185 LRBT  in my palma rifle with Winchester brass, 210 primers 44.5 RL15 jumped 20 thou
    « Last Edit: 07:52 PM, 11/10/12 by Cody Richardson »
    The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.  Proverbs 21:31

Offline DennisH

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 07:52 PM, 11/10/12 »
  • Any of the above loads should work.  My 185 likes to be off the lands a little more, say .030, but the rest is about the same.

PS:  Good Bullet
    Dennis Haffner
    Pro Team, McGowen
    www.mcgowenoutlet.com

Offline jr600yd

• Trade Count: (+1)
      • jr600yd@comcast.net
    « Reply #5 on: 08:11 AM, 11/11/12 »
  • I shoot them in my 30" 1/12 barrel. They shoot good at around 2600 fps, shoot much better at 2800. Using winchester brass, wolf LR primers and varget.
    If common sense was common everyone would have it.

Offline XTR

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 12:15 PM, 11/11/12 »
  • Anyone loading these for their .308 winchester? 

Probably over half of the F-TR shooters at the nationals this yr. 

How long is your barrel?

The high node for me in both a 24" and a 30" barrel started in the general vicinity of 44gr Varget.  Be careful that's getting into very hot high pressure range, work up and see what works for you

Offline amlevin

• Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 08:37 AM, 11/12/12 »
  • Anyone loading these for their .308 winchester? 

Probably over half of the F-TR shooters at the nationals this yr. 

How long is your barrel?

The high node for me in both a 24" and a 30" barrel started in the general vicinity of 44gr Varget.  Be careful that's getting into very hot high pressure range, work up and see what works for you

My barrel is a 24".  What's really funny is just about every bullet I try seems to like a load of 43.5 gr of Varget.

Offline dreever

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 10:51 AM, 11/12/12 »
  • amlevin

yOU SAID: My barrel is a 24".  What's really funny is just about every bullet I try seems to like a load of 43.5 gr of Varget.

Same here. 24 inch bartlein 43.3 Varget with every bullet I use.

Danny

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+177)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #9 on: 12:10 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • No offense,what is a juggernaut,or what does the word mean.
    jon t lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline BaconFat

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+27)
    « Reply #10 on: 12:21 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • No offense,what is a juggernaut,or what does the word mean.

This is from Wikipedia: "... is a literal or metaphorical force regarded as mercilessly destructive and unstoppable." 

Seems to be a term more applicable to a .50 BMG bullet. 

Offline Longshooter70

• Trade Count: (+9)
    « Reply #11 on: 12:44 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • Berger renamed the 185 LRBT to the 185 Juggernaut.... Story I heard is that Brian Litz liked it so well and performed so well he called it the Juggernaut....  I know the name is on the boxes now.

Offline amlevin

• Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 12:06 PM, 11/13/12 »
  • Berger renamed the 185 LRBT to the 185 Juggernaut.... Story I heard is that Brian Litz liked it so well and performed so well he called it the Juggernaut....  I know the name is on the boxes now.

Besides, it just sounds so "BAD".

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.