Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Best powder for .243  (Read 8487 times)

Offline Bugs

• Trade Count: (+24)
Best powder for .243
« Reply #15 on: 04:35 PM, 11/04/12 »
  • I currently mess with a half dozen different .243's and have had many more come and go over the years. .   for bullets from 80 to 90 grains, I keep going back to H414 / ww760.

Offline scotharr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+36)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #16 on: 10:27 PM, 11/09/12 »
  • with 105gr target bullets....
    H4350 is my go-to powder even though it does not fill the case.
    H4831sc has worked well and fillls the case.
    I had no luck with VV N160....would try VV N165 instead...but sticking to Hodgdon at this point.

Offline eric32

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+41)
    • Palma
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #17 on: 11:32 PM, 11/09/12 »
  • +1 for IMR4831 its just a hair faster than h4831 and its fill the case and the recoil doesnt feel very sharp. its more of a soft roll effect
    Ten men wisely lead will beat a hundred without a head

Offline .260 james

• Trade Count: (+7)
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #18 on: 08:53 AM, 11/10/12 »
  • I had some pretty excellent results from Reloder 17 and 95 grain bergers in a short barrelled hunting rifle.

Offline wbm

• Trade Count: (+7)
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #19 on: 09:01 AM, 11/12/12 »
    +1 for Hybrid 100V

+2

Savage Action, Criterion 1-8 Barrel

Have used every bullet and powder combination recommended (and more than a few that were not) in the .243 over the years but this load is one of the best I have ever tried.

95g Sierra Match King
    43.5 H100V MAX LOAD
    Winchester Neck Sized Brass
    Federal 210 Primer
    OAL=2.850"
    "Bughole" Accuracy

Offline 1holeaddict

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+54)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #20 on: 04:41 PM, 11/12/12 »
  • I have had great luck in 3 of my 243's with RL22 and 105amax. All 3 guns like almost the same charge of RL22. I have another one i use for yotes and she likes H4350 with 87Vmax.
    The LESS you EXPECT in the beginning the LESS you will be DISAPPOINTED in the end.

Offline hdfireman

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Basic Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #21 on: 02:39 PM, 11/16/12 »
  • Thanks for all the info fellas!  Just trying to figure out what most people have good results with.  I don't want to have to buy a bunch of different powders.  Looks like I'm down to 3  ???

Offline Jazz

• Trade Count: (0)
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #22 on: 07:41 PM, 11/16/12 »
  • H4831sc with the 105-108's and or RE-17 worked good too.

Online raythemanroe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #23 on: 04:13 PM, 12/02/12 »
  • Started with 107 smk and h1000 47g I think.. I would work up to that. Now I found using berger 115 vld that rl-25 is getting the speed I was wanting with good results in accuracy...Also for the 95g pills I always liked Imr 4350 and then found vv n560 got better speed with less pressure and loved that powder.. 1-8 hart at 27"..

Long time shooter beginning my road into precision!

Offline stacy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #24 on: 04:54 PM, 12/02/12 »
  • H414 for me 85gr to 95grs bullets.

STACY

Offline 1holeaddict

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+54)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #25 on: 07:05 PM, 12/05/12 »
  • Wow maybe im the only guy pushing 105's with Rl 22. Gee maybe i should of kept my secret to myself. ; :-X :-X :-X :-X
    The LESS you EXPECT in the beginning the LESS you will be DISAPPOINTED in the end.

Offline boltgunluvr

Best powder for .243
    « Reply #26 on: 09:58 PM, 12/06/12 »
  • Dont belive all the negative on 243 barrel life. True...it's not the best of the 6mm family, but if carefully shot, cooled and maintained....you'll be good for a long time unless you are a BR shooter. My factory Rem 700s are 1 in 9.125 twist so they scream for the 95-100 gr range. I've tried many different powder combos and H4350 or IMR4350 is hard to beat. Actually, IMR 4064 shot darn good, but stretched cases a bit too fast. I grown to be really fond of my 243s. Those heavier 6mm bullets buck the wind really well.

Offline Silver Sled

• Not a doctor
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #27 on: 10:41 AM, 12/09/12 »
  • My M77 .243 loves Varget with a 58gr V-max.
    Everything is a good idea until it goes bad.

Offline swampshooter

• Trade Count: (+1)
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #28 on: 12:18 PM, 12/09/12 »
  • Normally powders in the 4350 range work very well. All the 4350 variants, H-414, ww760.

Offline jsimonh

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #29 on: 03:22 PM, 12/09/12 »
  • I had good luck with Retumbo and the heavies...don't remember the load anymore though. I was using it because I had a 7 mag at the time and it worked well in both calibers.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.