Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Best powder for .243  (Read 7981 times)

Offline hdfireman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Basic Member
Best powder for .243
« on: 08:13 AM, 11/01/12 »
  • I am getting ready to start loading for a .243 and would like to get some info on the best powder to use.  I've read how slower powders will help with barrel life, is this true? What does the board suggest?  Barrel is an 8 twist, lapua brass and want to run 95-107gr.  I will not be shooting any competitions anytime soon as I am just getting into the long range game.  Thanks

Offline civil82

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+12)
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #1 on: 10:30 AM, 11/01/12 »
  • I had good luck in a 28" Krieger with H1000 and 107 SMKs. As to barrel life, I can't offer you anything. I've only put a few hundred down the tube in five years.
    You don't mention what dicipline you are planning to compete in. In my opinion, useable barrel life is different for each arena of shooting sports. My mid-range prone guns will probably see more rounds before I declare the barrel as toasted, as compared to other's F-Class or long range benchrest guns.   

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #2 on: 01:05 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • Well I don't have any experience personally with the .243, but several of the guys that I shoot with that do use it, use VV N160 powder.

Offline Cort

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+38)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #3 on: 01:50 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • Read the link on the home page about the .243.  It is good basic information on the cartridge and its performance.  I won't say it will be right for your rifle/barrel but it is always a good starting point.

Cort

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+96)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #4 on: 02:58 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • Lots of good powders for the 243, your rifle will tell you what it likes..
    No particular order here, but I usually will find a good load with one of these..
    Lots more than these will work for you too........
    H-4350
    H-4831
    RL-15
    RL-17
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline Kingfisher

Best powder for .243
    « Reply #5 on: 03:15 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • My best luck has been w/ H-4350.  One of my 243's however does like IMR-7828.  That's not in the usual lineup, it's a bit on the slow side but atleast in this one particular rifle it's very accurate and it's fast enough for what I need out of that rifle.  All of the other big hitters have been mentioned. :)

Offline Larryh128

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #6 on: 03:26 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • H4831SC has been a very good powder with heavier bullets.

Offline K22

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #7 on: 07:43 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • My first choice would be IMR 4350. I have three 243's and it works outstanding for all bullet weights 80 grain and above. I would also start with Federal 210 match primers.

Offline TimP

• Site $$ Contributor
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #8 on: 08:13 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • My best accuracy has been with IMR 4350. I have tried VV N165 and H 4350 and although I get about 100 FPS more with these powders IMR 4350 had been more accurate. I am running 115gn DTAC's in a 26" Krieger 7.5 twist. Federal 210M primers have worked for me as well.
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Offline Dave T

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #9 on: 10:46 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • For my .243 most of the powders mentioned above have worked well for me but I have found that Hybrid 100V gives me the best velocity with accuracy in my gun using Nosler 95 grn partitions.
    Dave T

Offline PR2Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #10 on: 07:45 AM, 11/02/12 »
  • +1 for Hybrid 100V

Offline lpreddick

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #11 on: 08:10 AM, 11/02/12 »
  • re barrel life in the .243...not the best of 6mms.  read somewhere a paper re powder burn rate vs barrel erosion(life), and the slower burning powders were more likely to burn a barrel more and sooner than a faster one.  most cartridges shooting heavy for cal bullets do best with slower powders, so there is a tradeoff.  my vote is for H4350 and esp rel17!
    if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!

Offline hdfireman

• Basic Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #12 on: 09:11 AM, 11/02/12 »
  • Thanks Guys.  This helps a lot.  I'm going to go with Federal 210 primers and have decided to start with H4350 or IMR4350

Offline fredhorace77

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #13 on: 09:20 AM, 11/02/12 »
  • I have three main powders I use in the 243 varget for 55-75gr. bullets and H4350 for 85-95gr bullets and H4831sc for 95gr and heavier

Offline hdfireman

• Basic Member
    Best powder for .243
    « Reply #14 on: 09:23 AM, 11/02/12 »
  • Fred, What is you COAL on 105 VLD or 107 SMK?

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.