Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: bushing size ?  (Read 908 times)

Offline dansig

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • only here to get better at what I do :)
bushing size ?
« on: 04:17 AM, 11/01/12 »
  • I am ordering dies for my .308 and need to know what bushing size I should get
    I also need to know what bushing I need for the 6XC

Offline skyav8r

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+58)
    • Ace Member
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #1 on: 04:23 AM, 11/01/12 »
  • Measure loaded neck diameter then subtract desired neck tension and an additional thousandths. So if neck diameter is. 336 and you want. 003 neck tension get a.332 bushing. If you don't have a loaded round measure neck wall thickness, double it, and add to bullet diameter. Then subtract desired neck tension and another thousandths. 

Offline dansig

• Site $$ Contributor
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #2 on: 05:17 AM, 11/01/12 »
  • I would if I could, haven't built the rifle yet.. just buying all components :)

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+23)
    • Ace Member
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #3 on: 05:19 AM, 11/01/12 »
  • Which kind of brass are you going to use?

Offline dansig

• Site $$ Contributor
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #4 on: 08:43 AM, 11/01/12 »
  • I will be using Norma and Lapua brass, I will turn the necks just to get them even, as little as possible, but all in the same size.

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+23)
    • Ace Member
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #5 on: 12:57 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • If your going to turn the necks on Lapua brass, then I would consider a .331 & .332 bushing.

Offline scotharr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+17)
    • Ace Member
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #6 on: 01:25 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • My Lapua 308WIN is .0145-.0155 = .338 loaded round.  Turning it .0142 cleaned it up 100% with a loaded diameter of .3365...I use a .334 & .335 bushing which give fairly light neck tension.

Offline jcampbellsmith

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
      • My rifles
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #7 on: 03:10 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • ..I also need to know what bushing I need for the 6XC..
    I have a slow burning 6XC project. The reamer measures .274 inches at the neck. When I set up a dummy round with Norma brass and a 105gr A-Max, the loaded round measured .2705 inches. I have a range of bushings in stock, but will probably try .268 and .269 when this project eventually gets off the ground and into the field.

Good luck. JCS

Offline Kingfisher

bushing size ?
    « Reply #8 on: 03:22 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • Similar story here.  Building a 6XC.  The dies showed up earlier in the week and the reamer showed up yesterday.  With any luck the gun will go to Mark Pharr tomorrow.  My reamer is set for a .2748 neck and I'm using Norma brass which specs out right at .270.  I went with a .268 bushing.  For the 6XC, the brass OD is pretty well documented for the different brass mfgs.  Not sure about the 308.  You'll probably have to actually load & check those.  The 6XC #'s though are available on this site.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #9 on: 05:58 PM, 11/01/12 »
  • If you are going turn the necks and know what the neck dia. of your chamber, and it`s a tight neck, will be then you can get one how ever much smaller you want to leave for neck expantion. The brass will spring back abt. .001. I like to use .002 neck expantion so I use bushing .003 under neck chamber dia. If you don`t know all the inputs there is no way to tell.
    Catfish

Offline Charlie Watson

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    • F-Class T/R
    bushing size ?
    « Reply #10 on: 08:34 AM, 11/02/12 »
  • For the .308, get a .334, .335, .336. I use these bushings with good results with Lapua brass. I never liked Norma brass too much. Too soft.
    US Army Vietnam 1969-70
    F-Class T/R Master

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.