Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Clean Burning Pistol Powder?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline 300meter

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+22)
Clean Burning Pistol Powder?
« on: 10:11 AM, 10/20/12 »
  • Was wondering what pistol powder you have found to be the cleanest burning?

Been using Bullseye in my 45 ACP for years, but just tired of the powder residue and smoke. Looking for a much better alternative.

Thanks

Offline Cort

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+38)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 10:26 AM, 10/20/12 »
  • I have used WST and TiteGroup in my .45.  Both seem to burn cleaner than Bullseye with maybe the edge going to TiteGroup.  I have gone back to Bullseye because that was what was available when I ran out of powder a couple of years ago.  At 4.0 grains per load, it takes a while to go through a keg ;-)

Cort

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 10:47 AM, 10/20/12 »
  • AA 5 works well but for acc i still prefer dirty old bull

Bob

Offline gunsandgunsmithing

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
      • Ezell Custom Rifles
    « Reply #3 on: 01:58 PM, 10/20/12 »
  • Viht N320 or N340. Very clean at reasonable pressures, and unblieveably low muzzle flash.

Offline XTR

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 02:46 PM, 10/20/12 »
  • Winchester 231, I used it for yrs shooting USPSA/IPSC, but be advised YOU CAN DOUBLE CHARGE WITH 231 and the results are not pretty.  (i.e., spilled blood and broken pistol)  Ask me how I know  :o

Offline SteveNC

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 02:56 PM, 10/20/12 »
  • W-W 231/ HP38. Same powder, same good clean results. Good for all pistol loads and if trying to get a fast velocity in a short barrel. Nice for heavy slow 9mm also.
    Steve in NC

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 11:51 PM, 10/20/12 »
  • I will chime in for 231. It is great for .45 target loads. I have also used Green Dot with great success in .45. Per XTR's point, a double charge of bulky Green Dot will overflow the case.

In .38 Special with 148 HBWC; I have found nothing better than 2.8 grains of dirty, old Bullseye.
    Sleepygator

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+94)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 05:45 AM, 10/21/12 »
  • Used  4.0 grs. of Bullseye with my cast Hensley & Gibbs bullets (#130 & #68), for 45 years & was never bothered by the slight increase in smoke.

Tried 231 briefly, maybe a little cleaner (?), but always returned to the ever accurate Bullseye. Went thru a lot of 4# cans over that 45 year period, 1960 to 2005.
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline Charlie Watson

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    • F-Class T/R
    « Reply #8 on: 01:26 PM, 10/21/12 »
  • Been using N320 for 10 years in my 1911's. Best powder I've used.
    US Army Vietnam 1969-70
    F-Class T/R Master

Offline 2506

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 04:23 PM, 10/21/12 »
  • If you are shooting cast bullets that smoke probably is from the bullet lube. Clays burns really clean.

Offline jbarnwell

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+42)
    « Reply #10 on: 05:14 PM, 10/21/12 »
  • Try some Alliant Power Pistol.
    If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Jeffvn

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #11 on: 06:14 AM, 10/22/12 »
  • Been there, and then went to H. Clays (NOT International clays).  Also tested Alliant Red Dot and Green dot.  Both were fine, but clays was teh cleanest burning that I have tried.

Jeffvn

Offline CJ6

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 07:59 AM, 10/22/12 »
  • VV-320 Is what I use in the Sig 220
    Roger T

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 09:42 AM, 10/22/12 »
  • Another vote for N320!

I've tried a lot of different powders for the .45 ACP. Bullseye works but it is very dirty (both smoke out the barrel and powder fouling on case). Tite-Group burns clean but it leaves a nasty burn streak on your brass that is hard to remove. AA #5 is a good choice for progressive press newbies as you use more powder so a double charge will (usually) be obvious. Clays burns clean but accuracy was average in my.45 acps. WW 231 offered excellent accuracy and metered well, but it kicked out sparks with little pieces of debris that would hit me in the face. Who wants that?!

N320
    • No powder was more accurate (WW 231 was equally accurate)
    • Meters very well
    • Very little smoke from muzzle
    • Does not put nasty burn streak on brass like Tite-Group does
    • No particles and sparks flying out like WW 231
    • Cases come out from gun very clean -- so you can tumble less often
    « Last Edit: 11:10 AM, 10/22/12 by Forum Boss »

Offline gunsandgunsmithing

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
      • Ezell Custom Rifles
    « Reply #14 on: 10:15 AM, 10/22/12 »
  • I first started using N320 after my first night shoot, while shooting IDPA/IPSC matches. It was astonishing how much of a fireball the 231 created. I was literally blinded by the flash while trying to shoot a match. As you can imagine, that didn't work out very well. I went from 231 to N320 and never looked back...and the flash from it was a fraction of what a kid's sparkler would give off. I have nothing but good things to say about it after using both. Night shoots are a real eye opener, when it comes to a personal protection perspective, as there is statistically a very high chance that if you ever have to use a gun to protect yourself or your family, it'll be in the darkness of night or in your home. Being blinded by muzzle flash, and deafened by the noise are things that should be considered, IMO. I'm not recommending loading your own for PP either, as lawyers can and have turned that against the person in court. Hornady makes a good PP load for most calibers, where muzzle flash is greatly reduced.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.