Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 222 rem free bore  (Read 1374 times)

Offline boltman223

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ace Member
222 rem free bore
« on: 09:37 PM, 10/18/12 »
  • Hi everyone,

I am wondering if the base of the bullets I want to shoot (40 & 50 vmaxes and 52 & 53 matchkings) will be below the neck with .010 jump a chamber with zero freebore. Hopefully someone has some experience with this. Thanks, andy
    Extra parts, No I'm just smarter than the engineers

Offline robbor

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    222 rem free bore
    « Reply #1 on: 11:15 PM, 10/18/12 »
  • This is funny, i asked that question last night of a shooter here, lol. But i was asking just roughly not to the thousandths.  if i get a reply ill let you know. The shooter here has a zero preebore but the print specs .009 lead.

Offline boltman223

• Ace Member
    222 rem free bore
    « Reply #2 on: 06:34 PM, 10/20/12 »
  • Well I was told by dave kiff that 40 vmaxes will barely touch the lands with zero freebore. The only reason I am concerned is my factory rem 700 vls 223 has a 40 vmax just at the base if the neck when .010 off the lands. What freebore it has I don't know, thought it would be more than 0 freebore.  From what I hear dave is probably right though

I have only had good luck with two of the 14 factory riles I have so I just hope the 222 I am having built is a shooter.

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    222 rem free bore
    « Reply #3 on: 01:27 PM, 10/21/12 »
  • Hi everyone,

I am wondering if the base of the bullets I want to shoot (40 & 50 vmaxes and 52 & 53 matchkings) will be below the neck with .010 jump a chamber with zero freebore. Hopefully someone has some experience with this. Thanks, andy

With 0 freebore......seated to the lands, the base of a 40VMax is .125" into the neck....that's with the casemouth touching the end of chamber.  Whatever the difference is between caselength and chamber length, seating depth into the neck will be that much less.

In a 0 freebore .223, that 40VMax is about 1/2way down the neck when seated to touch the lands.

Check seating depth with a split caseneck and you can easily see this.
    « Last Edit: 01:36 PM, 10/21/12 by Ackman »

Offline boltman223

• Ace Member
    222 rem free bore
    « Reply #4 on: 02:41 PM, 10/21/12 »
  • Thanks for the info. it sounds like 0 freebore will work out just how I want it :D hopefully its a shooter
    « Last Edit: 02:43 PM, 10/21/12 by boltman223 »

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    222 rem free bore
    « Reply #5 on: 03:08 PM, 10/22/12 »
  • If you're having a gun rebarrelled and it hasn't yet been been chambered, buy your own reamer.  First get all your brass and measure a bunch of it.  Then spec the reamer at no more than .010" over brass length.  A standard reamer cuts a chamber .020"- .030" longer than brass depending on whether or not it's trimmed and how much.  That extra distance has the same effect as more freebore......means less bullet seated into the neck. 

Offline boltman223

• Ace Member
    222 rem free bore
    « Reply #6 on: 07:33 PM, 10/22/12 »
  • ackman

Thanks for the info, but I have already received the reamer and sent it and the rifle off. The reamer is a match reamer so maybe the neck won't be cut so long, but thats ok if it is.next time.

With a trued action, shilen match barrel and a good bedding job I think I should be able to find a load that will shoot under a half inch. Hopefully in the  .2' or .3's.  ;D

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.