Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Best combination target/hunting gun; 308 or 284 Win?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline VaniB

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ace Member
I'm stuck trying to decide between a 284 Win, or a 308 Win.  I've thought long and hard and am NOT interested in any other cartridge.  It will have an LA action, a 26" brux sendero barrel, and a harrel muzzle brake. I intend to handload and try for sub 1/2" accuracy at 100 yard target shooting, but want it to serve for deer hunting too. I intend to shoot 140 to 162gr bullets out of the 284 with a 1-9 twist, and 155 to 168gr bullets out of the 308 with a 1-11 twist. (or maybe 1-12 twist ??). Scoped, I expect it to weigh about 9 lbs. For hunting, I know the both rifles will make a fine deer gun up to 300 yards or more, but was wondering if the 308 has the edge for elk too. (??)

Which of the two would you think will serve best in meeting my objectives as defined? And providing that the gun can cater to hunters as well as those who enjoy target shooting, which one do you think I might have an easier time of selling later?   

Offline johnu

• Trade Count: (+2)
Best combination target/hunting gun; 308 or 284 Win?
« Reply #1 on: 06:41 PM, 10/05/12 »
  • Well, if its a hunting rifle, you can buy .308 ammo just about anywhere . . .

Offline jbpmidas

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+34)
    • Ace Member
    • MR F-T/r
    « Reply #2 on: 07:00 PM, 10/05/12 »
  • +1 for availability of ammo on the .308!  The 284 should have the energy advantage, but inside 300 yards, that probably won't mean much.

Online ShootDots

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 07:21 PM, 10/05/12 »
  • The advancements in hunting bullets today make MOST "non-magnum" calibers perform like the old magnums once did. If you limit your animal take too 300 yards MAX, either will do and you will NOT see the difference between the 2. Now I just burned out a .308 barrel. You are looking at a 1-11 or 1-12 twist barrel. I shot 168gr Berger B/T's with a 1-13 twist. BUT the 1-13 twist is too slow for any bullet with a higher B.C. or heavier in weight. The 1-12 is BY FAR the best twist for bullets up to AND including 185's. If you use a Tipped Triple Shock in any bullet weight below 175gr. you will have a SUPERB hunting rifle in .308. Now if you want to shoot targets, my 308 shot 168gr. Berger B/T's seated 7K INTO the lands with 44grs. of RL-15 and CCI- BR-2 primers. You could PROBABLY switch to a hunting bullet of similar weight and use the same powder load and you will be in business. Oh and by the way, before my .308 was shot out, it shot MANY groups (5 shots each) under 1/2" @ 300 yards. I hope this helps..
    Benjamin Steinsholt

Offline Glenninjuneau

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #4 on: 07:40 PM, 10/05/12 »
  • Make it a switch barrel and have the best of both worlds. I don't know much about 7mm's, but the 308 has a pretty large selection of bullets from varmints to elk to targets. Good luck, good hunting, and good times.

Offline MrMajestic

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 09:35 PM, 10/05/12 »
  • Dang that's a tough one. I don't have a .284 but do a 7mm RSAM and several .308's. Not to much difference between the .284 and the RSAUM and since you specified reloading my vote would be for the .284. To match the BC in .308 with what you get in 7mm the weights go way up along with recoil and reduced velocity due to case capacity. Not a real big difference and I still love my .308's but still gotta go with the 7. JMHO.  ;)
    "That which does not destroy me, has made a huge tactical error"

Offline Nomad47

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    • Oops!
    « Reply #6 on: 09:43 PM, 10/05/12 »
  • What Mr M said makes a lot of sense.  I couldn't have said it any better.
    Bill, Retired, AZ/OH
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
    "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+104)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 09:14 AM, 10/06/12 »
  • What the last 2 said.....
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline Will

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+14)
    « Reply #8 on: 09:20 AM, 10/06/12 »
  • My vote goes for 308. Not much on North America you can't hunt with it ... and it is proven in Match. Maybe I'm biased because that is all I use (besides 22LR & 12 ga) but it works for me in all the rifles I use. Been that way for better than 30 years.
    Regards, Will

1,000 "Atta-boys" can & will be wiped out by ONE (1) Aww Crap !!!

Offline DCRYDER

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+40)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 11:51 PM, 10/06/12 »
  • This would be an easy choice for me....284!!!! Especially since you are using a LA. To match a .284 168 vlds BC with a 308 you would have to use a 210gr bullet. I have also learned that 7mm bullets just plain old outperform 30s after contact with a deer. Seems to me that 30s are "harder" and dont expand as much or as fast as the 7mm.

I am in the same boat as you but with the 6.5-284, 284 win, and 280AI. Too darned many good cartridges to choose from.
    If it aint broke, I'll fix that!!!

Offline VaniB

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 02:35 PM, 10/07/12 »
  • This would be an easy choice for me....284!!!! Especially since you are using a LA. To match a .284 168 vlds BC with a 308 you would have to use a 210gr bullet. I have also learned that 7mm bullets just plain old outperform 30s after contact with a deer. Seems to me that 30s are "harder" and dont expand as much or as fast as the 7mm.

I am in the same boat as you but with the 6.5-284, 284 win, and 280AI. Too darned many good cartridges to choose from.

I enjoy knowing I will have superior ballistics and the extra oomph of the 284Win without getting into the bigger 7mm cartridges. But the reality is that while I know the power and numbers are there in the 284Win for long range shooting (when and if I want to try it), I mostly shoot target at 100 yards. I'm not sure if even with a Harrel's brake at the bench, I might not like that extra 8-10 grains of powder in the 284. The 308 ballistics are not bad for the shorter case.....with the differences in ballistics being miniscule between the both at 100 yards. BUT...am I over thinking this and needlessly considering the 308 over the 284 because of differences of blast and recoil that are small? .....Or, after 20-30 rounds of timed/slow fire, are the differnces NOT so small after all. (??)

I feel there's a satisfaction in owning that Corvette that you know does 190MPH and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.......even if you don't plan to much use it that way. While I kind of look forward to the 284Win, I don't want to discover that the extra 8-10 grains will cause regrets via added recoil.
    « Last Edit: 10:23 PM, 10/07/12 by VaniB »

Offline jbpmidas

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+34)
    • Ace Member
    • MR F-T/r
    « Reply #11 on: 03:27 PM, 10/07/12 »
  • I have both, well, my 284 is a Shehane.  The 284's recoil is not much greater than the 308.  My match 308 load is a 185 Hybrid at 2660.  I am still in load development for the Shehane, but my fireforming load is a 162 A-Max at 2704.  Th recoil on that load is less than the 308.  The match load I am working on is a 180 VLD at an estimated 2800 (I haven't gotten to the chrono stage yet).  That load gives a push, but it's still less than the .30-06 I used to shoot.

Offline VaniB

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 07:52 PM, 10/07/12 »
  • ........  I am still in load development for the Shehane, but my fireforming load is a 162 A-Max at 2704.  Th recoil on that load is less than the 308. ......

Interesting. For the straight 284 in a 26" barrel that I intend to do (should I choose it over a 308 rifle) your numbers are exactly where I'm planning on being. I'm planning on the 162 Amax being at 2,700 FPS for the low, and 2,800 FPS as the possible high. Wherever I get sub 1/2" accuracy is where I will leave it.  However, I'm planning on trying to keep the proposed scoped 284 or 308 rifle at about 9lbs. I suppose your rifles are heavier, so I can expect mine will kick a bit more.

But then again, mine will have a brake, and yours probably does not have an MB. 

Offline XTR

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
      • Onlinehumidor
    « Reply #13 on: 09:17 PM, 10/07/12 »
  • I'd build a 308 on a short action.  A 308 in a long action is pretty much a wasted inch in just about any application that I can think of; that said, as a hunting rifle for shooting inside 300 yds the 308 will do everything the 284 will do, but it does it with less powder cheaper components and more barrel life and tons of off the shelf ammo in a pinch. 

Offline coreydelong

• Trade Count: (+10)
    « Reply #14 on: 09:48 AM, 10/08/12 »
  • A .284 in match trim would probably need a 31" finished barrel. That's what most guys in my club use, and it's what Carl Bernosky recommended when I have one chambered by him.

A 31" barrel does not fit too many hunting venues though..... I vote switch barrel.

.308 for hunting and .284 for match work.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.