Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 7mm Berger 168gr hunting hybrids  (Read 5078 times)

Offline jsimonh

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+21)
7mm Berger 168gr hunting hybrids
« on: 08:47 PM, 08/20/12 »
  • Does anyone have info on these? Listed G1 BC of .604, I was expecting it to be higher than its vld brother. From what I've seen the Hybrids always seem to have a slightly higher BCgiven its the same bullet weight. These are listed as SAAMI hunting hybrids, so maybe that's why the lower BC?
    « Last Edit: 09:03 PM, 08/20/12 by jsimonh »

Offline holstil

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+44)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 10:01 PM, 08/20/12 »
  • I want to know too. I believe the 162 Amax is inflated at 625bc, but Even if it's 600,.... What gives?

I was hoping this new pellet outta be at least 620.

I think the hunting bullets have (or did have) a bc advantage due to the thicker jacket being able to swage a tighter meplat??

I would like to see a 150gr something at 600 or so :)

Jim

Offline Rtheurer

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 02:23 AM, 08/23/12 »
  • Hello Fellas

Im a little confused on your question. I wasnt aware that Berger was marketing the hybrids for hunting aplication. So I went to the web site and didnt find any Hybrid in the hunting section only VLD's with the thinner or normal J4 jacket they have selling for years.
     So then i thought maybe you meant just the hybrid itself as a target bullet in 7mm so I looked at that too. No such animal in there target section.. a 7mm 168gr Hybrid is not there. Then I thought sinceBerger is a little slow putting there new bullets in the products table i would search for a new release of this 7mm bullet in there blog.. Still nothing.

Did Berger release a new hybrid in 7mm of the 168gr weight? If so that is awsome I was just thinking about this the other day. I have been shooting the 162grAMAX in a 280AI for Mule Deer and whitetail so this would be great news to me.

Best Regards
    RT
    XTC, Long Range Prone, Midrange Prone, shooting junkie.

Offline Rtheurer

• Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 05:46 AM, 08/23/12 »
  •  I just saw another post refearing to the new Hunting hybrid 168's by Scott ( Effendud)??? Did I miss something new??

Just cant keep up with Berger nowa days.

Help... someone fill me in on this new bullet

RussT
    XTC, Long Range Prone, Midrange Prone, shooting junkie.

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 08:06 AM, 08/23/12 »
  • I went to the gun room this morning and pulled the box out.  The label on the orange box says
    Berger Classic Hunter
    7mm 168 grain
    PN:28570  G1 BC=.604 and G7 BC=.309

It is one nice looking bullet.  The Gunstop had these same bullets in a few other calibers.  I picked up a box of .30 caliber 185 grain for my .300 Ultra too.  Give the guys there a call  952-474-0211

The theory is these bullets will give VLD performance on game with the easy load tuning of the Hybrids.  Both 7mm mags are ready for me to load some up for testing.  Maybe this weekend.  They look shorter than the 168 VLD too so it should be easier to use the case capacity for powder and still load to mag length.  Caliper report to follow.

Scott

Offline nosualc

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 08:13 AM, 08/23/12 »
  • suh-weet! I'm gonna have to try some of those. VLDs are too much of a PITA for hunting bullets.

-nosualc
    "Were we nuts when we pointed to the moon? We went up there and you know what we got? Bored."

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 08:18 AM, 08/23/12 »
  • Here is what the caliper says:  The hunting VLD measures 1.4365 OAL and the Classic Hunter Hybrid is 1.3475 OAL.  Difference of .089 in.  Not alot, but enough to help. 

Also guys, after starting to read Bryan Litz's book, don't waste a moment's time on G1 BC values.  They are worthless, even for comparison purposes, ofr the boat tail bullet.

Scott

Offline trailrider121

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+44)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 08:55 AM, 08/23/12 »
  • Here's some good reading.

http://www.austargets.com/bergerelite.htm

http://www.austargets.com/bergerelite.htm

Australian
    Long Range Shooter Magazine

The online magazine for the precision rifle shooting enthusiast

For information and advertising Contact  Email

Home

Forum

Articles

Contact

Berger - New Hunting Projectiles
    Berger Bullets has announced that they will be releasing a new range of hunting projectiles.

The Berger Classic Hunter Line of projectiles and the Berger Elite Hunter line of projectiles. These are two very distinctly different designs.

The Classic Hunter is designed to comply with SAAMI  specifications in factory rifles.

The Elite Hunter is designed with an optimised Hybrid shape to maximise long range performance.

Both lines of bullets are designed to have performance on game similar to Berger's VLD line of hunting bullets.

Berger Bullets has been quietly working on several new projects and some of these are getting ready to be launched.

The first is not likely to excite the avid long range hunter but should interest the shooter who owns a factory sporter.

They are introducing a new line of hunting bullets which are designed by Bryan Litz to comply with SAAMI specifications in factory hunting rifles.  This line will be known as the Berger Classic Hunter line.

Following extensive testing on media, these bullets were recently tested on game in New Zealand. Some 71 animals were taken, apparently all of which expired either where they were hit or within yards of that spot.

A lot of hunters like how Berger bullets perform on game, but some hunters have had trouble getting the VLD line of projectiles to shoot accurately in factory rifles, with the bullets seated to magazine length COAL. This is due to the short magazine lengths that most factory rifles have and the long jump that the projectiles have to make to contact the lands.

The Classic Hunter line of bullets is designed precisely for this purpose. You should be able to load them to a COAL that fits into your factory magazine and also get excellent accuracy. The downside is that the B.C. will be lower than some of the other Berger hunting bullets.

The new Berger Elite Hunter line of bullets is designed with a optimised Hybrid shape. These are not like the Hybrid bullets mentioned above because these have been designed to achieve the highest BC possible with no regard for SAAMI dimensions.  These bullets are designed for the precision long range hunter and will be a welcome addition to the line as most of these bullets have a higher BC than our current VLD Hunting bullets.  All optimised Hybrid hunting bullets will be known as the Elite Hunter line.   

One of the first bullets to be released is the new .338 cal, 250 gr, Elite Hunter bullet.  This bullet is the same shape as the current .338 cal 250 gr Hybrid OTM Tactical.  The difference is on the inside.  They changed the jacket so that it doesn't have the same high velocity/pressure performance issues as the Gen 1 (300 gr) bullets, but will retain the same terminal performance as the Gen 1 bullet.  Resellers are now accepting orders of this bullet. A 300 gr bullet is also planned to be released some time after the 250 gr bullet.

The 30 cal Hybrid Hunting bullets (which will also be called Elite Hunter) will not be available until roughly October.  The 30 cal Elite Hunter will come in the 230 gr weight for sure.  They haven't decided whether they will go with both the 215 gr and 200 gr or with just the 200 gr.  If you want a particular weight then contact Berger and let them know as they welcome feedback from customers. Berger also intends to make .30 cal, Elite Hunter bullets in other common, lighter weights as well. This should be welcomed by Aussie hunters that target smaller feral game.

These heavy bullets will be available in new 100 count boxes. The first of these is the 338 cal 250 gr Elite Hunter bullet which may become available in the US in about 3-4 weeks.

Offline jsimonh

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    « Reply #8 on: 07:18 PM, 08/23/12 »
  • Thanks for the links Trailrider, looks like I'll be waiting on the hunter elite! The "classic" doesn't gain much BC at all over the A-max and is heavier, so maybe the "elite" will be the ticket. This could sure be sweet in my .284

Offline RossL

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #9 on: 06:24 AM, 08/30/12 »
  • When I heard that Midway carried the first hunting hybrids I ordered two boxes of the 168 7mms. Now in the process of loading some in my sporter 284 win.

The SAMMI hunting hybrid bullet is slightly shorter than the 162 A-max. The OAL is quite a bit shorter, compared to the A-max, when engaging rifling. With the information that trailrider121 gave us confirms what I thought, that the first offerings called SAMMI hunting hybrids are designed for factory rifles and their shorter magazines.

Bryan Litz's BCs are very accurate. His BC for the 162 A-max is  .599 (G1)   .307 (G7)

At this point these are the SAMMI hunting hybrids (AKA classic hunter)  that Midway carries:

243 95 gr BC .427 recommended twist 1 in 10
    270 130 gr BC .497 recommended twist 1 in 10
    7mm 168 gr BC .604 recommended twist 1 in 10
    308 168 gr BC .496 recommended twist 1 in 13
    308 185 gr BC .547 recommended twist 1 in 12

Look forward to trying the elite hunting bullets.

Offline txsendero

• Trade Count: (+8)
    « Reply #10 on: 09:59 AM, 10/11/12 »
  • Does anyone know if the 7mm 168 VLD and the 168 Hybrid should both be loaded about the same (and I am aware that I would need to work up safely when switching bullets)?

Offline RossL

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #11 on: 06:32 AM, 10/24/12 »
  • Reporting back on results to date on the 168 classic hunter bullet.

Finalized the load for my 23" sporter 284 win. Used RL-17 and moly coated bullets. Vel is 3035 fps. Had to tweak the seating depth a bit. It liked the jump around .040" instead of the .025 where I began the testing.

A friend had me make a load for his 26" 7 Rem Mag.  Used Retumbo for vel of 3115 fps.
    This rifle liked .025" from rifling,  no seating depth tweaking needed. He killed a cow elk last week at approx 100 yds. He shot it through the chest behind both shoulders. Said the entrance and exit holes were somewhat small but the cow dropped in its tracks. It was a double lung shot missing all other vitals.

A guy on LRH shot an Oryx, mule deer and elk with the 168 classic hunter and his 7 STW vel 3085 IIRC and was very please with his results too.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.