Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Keeping stored brass shiney  (Read 2294 times)

Offline scalian

• Trade Count: (+10)
Keeping stored brass shiney
« on: 06:09 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • I clean my brass with a stainless steel media and it comes out looking great.  After it sits around for a while it gets all brown and dull looking.  Does any one have a trick for keeping it shiny like factory ammo always looks coming out of the box?

Offline Johnboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 06:26 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • corn cob media and car polish would work,but I'd bet your not wanting to do that
    shooting can be done every day but shooting one ragged hole is something one needs to work on

Offline Fat Albert

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #2 on: 06:44 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • Vaccum pack them. Make the bags too big to start and you can reseal when needed 8).

Offline Dave T

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #3 on: 07:24 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • Well hmm, vacuum seal them?  Never heard of doing that before, but it sounds worth trying.  It doesn't colapse the necks does it?
    Dave T

Offline doc gordon

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+6)
    « Reply #4 on: 07:40 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • stay away from commercial units,mine will collapse necks!not the good ones from bass pro or cabelas.

Offline infantrytrophy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #5 on: 07:41 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • Just store the clean brass in sealed zip-lock bags - squeeze to get most of the air out, and make sure that the brass is completely dry before sealing.  I have SS media/dish soap-cleaned brass that is very bright and shiny after a year.

Also, I think that it's important to use Lemi-Shine during the cleaning process.  A 40 S&W case full is plenty for a batch of cases, along with 1 or 2 tablespoons of dish soap (Dawn or generic equivalent). 

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 07:50 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • Sealing the brass in vacuum seal bag works because it deprives the brass of oxygen which is in the air.  You cannot get any rusting/oxidation/tarnishing without oxygen. 

The other way to deal with this is to make sure that you rinse the brass out really well.  The problem here is there is a lot of minerals in the water after the tumble and it take many rinses to remove the majority of the stuff.  I rinse mine out 6 times with care after each rinse to remove almost all the water from the previous rinse as this will make the rinse more efficient.  For those who are really OCD, you can do the final rinse with distilled water.

Offline RLP

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #7 on: 08:45 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • I have used SSM for over 2 years and have never had my brass discolor. It stays shiny and bright without anything extra. I would guess it would be your water has heavy mineral content or you are not using Lemi-Shine. Just my 2 cents worth.  These are my steps:
    1-Dawn  and Lemi-Shine
    2-Clean in HOT-SOFT water
    3-Rinse Tumbler in cold hard water removing all dirty water (dump out all excess water)
    4-Fill Dillon media separator with SOFT -HOT water a remove the media
    5- Put clean brass in a beach towel and rattle around to remove excess water
    6-Stack brass on open bottom cartridge racks (primer up) and air dry (Racks are handy to inspect for any stuck media--I use a thin piece of Plexiglas to flip the 50 cases at a time over then inspect the necks for any media)
    I have not had any discoloration using this method but only use SOFT-HOT water for washing and rinsing

RLP
    1969 Vietnam Vet 25Th/63rd Engineers Brushcutter

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 09:32 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • The thing to keep in mind is that soft water is not water without minerals.  The minerals that make up hard water is calcium and magnesium and these minerals can clog up pipes and also make your soap not work well.  Well normally the beads in your water softener grab hold of these two minerals and get rid of them to be flush out later. 

But the key thing to understand is that when the beads in your softener grab hold of calcium and magnesium, they release sodium into the water.  Also when your tank is full of captured calcium and magnesium, it is flush off with salt which is sodium chloride.  So soft water actually has quite a bit of sodium in it which when paired with chloride is your regular table salt which we all know tends to cause rusting/oxidation/tarnishing. 

This is not to say that if you dry the brass well that this will be a major problem, it is not.  But to get lasting shine, you will need to get rid of most of the salt, whether it be sodium, calcium, or magnesium which is where the distilled water comes in as it has no salt at all.

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 09:48 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • I have new brass that has stayed shiny for three years when stored in heavy-duty zip-lock bags or Tupperwear type containers with a good seal.

For those that wet-clean/tumble their brass it's correct you want to rinse with distilled water before storage.

The best answer: Load it and shoot it and don't worry about your brass staying super shiny!

Offline infantrytrophy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #10 on: 10:54 PM, 08/12/12 »
  • The best answer: Load it and shoot it and don't worry about your brass staying super shiny!
    ... But don't you want to strut up to the firing line with your brass all shiny, smellin' good and squeaky clean??  :)

Offline Travelor

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 06:20 AM, 08/13/12 »
  • I have found that if I wipe the cases with a paper towel after they have been cleaned then place them is a Ziploc bag, they will stay nice and bright until I take them out to load.

George
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Offline GSRswapandslow

• Trade Count: (+9)
    « Reply #12 on: 07:39 AM, 08/13/12 »
  • most people laugh when they see my stained/ugly brass.....then they stop when i start shooting

brass prep and consistent loading > brass look

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 08:29 AM, 08/13/12 »
  • Yea, unless you are prepping it for display, it’s not worth it to be too OCD about shinning brass. 

One trick I learned over at AR-15.com is to just pour your brass on an old beach towel and just roll the whole batch in it to dry it out.  Works very well and it’s easy.  Just use a dedicated towel for this and don’t use it on your body afterwards.

Offline people

• Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 09:31 AM, 08/13/12 »
  • Limiting access to air is the best way to go.  I built a small vacuum chamber using a reversed air compressor.  It dries casings in minutes.  Spreading them out on a towel is easier and far less expensive.  Use a Fan to speed dry times.  Then just stick them in ammo cans or anything else that seals well.  I have used 5gallon buckets also. 

Storing them in co2 gets rid of all the o2 as it is heavier.  I cut 4 big holes in the bottom of the bucket then placed a candle in it and let it burn with a pie tin on the lid to prevent it from burning.  The co2 cooled and sank into the bottom bucket and when the candle went out I removed the top bucket and put a sealing lid on the bottom bucket.  Did they stay shiny heck yes.  Worth it?  F#@K NO!. 

I have also gave them a 10 min go in my cement mixer with walnut media.  Walnut has oils in it and helps protect the sheen a little.  It was an extra step and I do not see a need for it in my life. 

Now I just use the SSM and dry it and call it good.  Super shiny is not needed in my book but some really like it.  One of my friends only uses nickel casings for the sheen they have. 
    They say “I am pro hunter.”  Means they do not care about your handguns or your AR-15.
    They say “I am progun but why do you have to have a 15 or 30 rd mag.” They are antigun.
    Are you progun or antigun?

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.