Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Shot out Barrel in 222 remington  (Read 6793 times)

Offline dataforce1@gmail.com

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Shot out Barrel in 222 remington
« on: 02:01 PM, 07/18/12 »
  • Hi,

I collect remington Model 788s. I glass bed and work up loads. Fun.

I have a 788 222 remington. I am sending off to re-barrel. I like Bartlein but barrel manufacturers suggestions are welcome.

Question is this: should I rebarrel to .223 or 223 AI. I intend to shoot 100yd BR. I sure have 222 reloading equipment, but not over invested.

Thank you, JR

Offline Bradley Walker

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 02:33 PM, 07/18/12 »
  • 223 AI IS AWESOME...

Offline ab_bentley

• Trade Count: (+11)
    « Reply #2 on: 02:35 PM, 07/18/12 »
  • 223 AI IS AWESOME...

Not for BR. Stick with the 222R if you don't want to madify the bolt face. Adam
    Ammo: Always need more

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 02:58 PM, 07/18/12 »
  • Mr. Bentley,

I thought bolt face, existing 222 bolt, works OK w/ 223. Mistaken, I am?

JR

Offline ab_bentley

• Trade Count: (+11)
    « Reply #4 on: 03:06 PM, 07/18/12 »
  • Mr. Bentley,

I thought bolt face, existing 222 bolt, works OK w/ 223. Mistaken, I am?

JR

I was implying 6PPC, yes the 221/222/223 all use the same BF.  Adam
    Ammo: Always need more

Offline K22

• Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 05:56 PM, 07/18/12 »
  • If your game is target shooting at or under 200 yards, it's hard to imagine a better caliber than the 222 except perhaps the 6mmBR.

The only reasons I'd rebarrel to a 223 if you plan on hunting varmints, the extra velocity will help for shots beyond 200 yards. The other reason would be that the 222 is becoming an obsolete cartridge. In my experince, the 223 is capable of matching the 222 in accuracy with tuned reloads and of course an accurate rifle. The point is that the 223 is much like the 222, it tends to be an inherently accurate cartridge and very easy to reload.

Two years ago I had my old model 700 222 rebarrel to a 223 with a Douglas Match supreme barrel. The rifle is now a sub 1/4 moa gun. My purpose however was for varmint hunting.

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 09:06 PM, 07/18/12 »
  • My old 788 is rebarrelled to 223.  Magazines are identical but of course stamped differently.  The .223AI shoulder is too far forward, it won't fit into a 788 magazine.

Offline LHSmith

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 06:42 AM, 07/19/12 »

I intend to shoot 100yd BR.
    Thank you, JR

If you mean "BR" to be Competitive Benchrest, where the "agg" rules, the .222 has BTDT, many times over. It was for several years "THE" cartridge to beat. Granted there were variants like the 222-1/2 and the .222 Mag. (which really performed @200 yds), but the 222-1/2 does not necessarily equate to a .223.  In a BR match, we are talking 5 sets of 5-shot groups for record...in a set time frame. I do have a .222 in a HV and on a day with steady conditions, it will agg with my 6 PPC LV (I shoot 2-guns at most matches). I don't know of .223's performing along with PPC's, but other shooters using .222's built to BR standards have the similar score results.
    BTW, I believe Bartlein still has a lead time of 1 year. Based on your platform, I would go with a Shilen 14 twist.
    As far as being "obsolete", I doubt that will happen in our lifetime.....too many rifles made in this chambering....and the Europeans love the .222 (the .223 and other military rounds are not legal in most of Europe).
    « Last Edit: 06:45 AM, 07/19/12 by LHSMITH »

• Basic Member
    « Reply #8 on: 09:02 AM, 07/19/12 »
  • Thank you, Shilen is local, I am in Southlake TX and I will go with 14 twist. Not to be a bother, but can you please recommend a bullet to work on and a BR stock.

I shoot my bartlein 308 bull sporter at 3/8 now at 100 and i am interested in BR matches, 100 yds w/ 222.I have to tighten up my reloading, and shooting technique.

I will  build the 222 on a new stock, glass bed myself and go, go, go.

JR

Offline LHSmith

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 02:30 PM, 07/19/12 »
  •  .224 Bullets for BR .....52 gr. Barts, 52 gr. Euber, 52 gr. Berger.
    On the barrel ...go with as heavy a contour as you can......can go up to 13.5 # total rifle weight in HV.
    Not sure of a BR stock for a 788, but most anything can be modified to fit...given enough time and having proper tooling on hand. It should have a 3" fore-end.
    It may be an uphill battle getting it to be competitive against custom actioned  PPC's.... but if you succeed you will have awesome bragging rights.

What twist is your .308? Have you considered using your .308 in Hunter Class BR(Score competition ...6x scope only)?

• Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 12:02 PM, 07/20/12 »
  • I will call Bartlein to find out twist. Beautiful bull sporter. I find all barrel makers are very helpful. Brian at Bartlein is exceptional.

I have not looked into hunter class but will. thank you.

On stocks, I routed out barrel channel on original 788 stock. Was not hard with dremel tool. Glass bedded myself, shoots good now. At this point rifle is better than shooter.

Offline LHSmith

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 12:49 PM, 07/20/12 »
  • Back in the early '70's I had a 788 in 22/250. I don't have one now to compare to a 700, but on one website for aftermarket stocks, it was mentioned that a McMillan stock with a 700 inlet could be modified for the 788. McMillan may be your best bet, my .222 HV wears a McMillan Edge stock which rides the bags very well.
    Next hurdle may be the trigger, which should be less than 1#.
    I see your passionate about the 788, but you have to realize that resale value is such that you most likely won't get your investment back upgrading the 788 for BR like you would building a custom actioned BR gun...........unless you actually win matches ....in which case you'll get all kinds of offers.
    BTW if you decide on the .222, I would go with a .250 neck (won't require neck turning), and I would NOT go with a match chamber...stay with standard SAAMI.

Offline mshelton

• Trade Count: (+17)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 08:30 AM, 07/21/12 »
  • Stick with the .222, no sense going 'yo joe' on a .223

Offline areaone

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 08:44 AM, 07/21/12 »
  • I have owned a 222 on and off since 1966.  I love the little cartridge.  Have it now on M70 push feed, shilen 14 twist ratchet barrel-Varmint contour.  Just got back from PD shooting in Wyoming, consistent 300-350 kills with 50 gr Speer TNT and Ramshot exterminator.  Custom barrel with a .250 neck and .025 FB bedded in a HS stock, three shot groups less than .25 at 100 yds all day long, what is not to love about this "old timer".  Read the wind, watch the drop and it works way past 200 yds.  Never had much luck with the 55 gr, but the 50 gr was great.

Offline robbor

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 02:52 AM, 07/24/12 »
  • im with the others 222

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.