Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Anneal or not to  (Read 3577 times)

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (0)
Anneal or not to
« Reply #15 on: 04:12 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • Does the case have to be de-primed before you anneal? Why?
    "From my Cold Dead Hands"
    Charlton Heston

Offline bayou shooter

• Ace Member
    • F-TR competitor
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #16 on: 04:13 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • I do not deprime before annealing, since I resize (and decap) after annealing.
    Denys Beauchemin - Spring, TX

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the weaponry to make a difference.

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #17 on: 04:16 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • I use the Lee Universal Depriming die before I anneal, clean the pockets too first. And I clean the necks with steel wool as well before running them in the anealler.

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #18 on: 04:17 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • I do not deprime before annealing, since I resize (and decap) after annealing.

That's what I thought. but people are saying they have to be deprimed before hand. I have never deprimed for the same reasons you described.
    Charlton Heston

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #19 on: 04:19 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • I use the Lee Universal Depriming die before I anneal, clean the pockets too first. And I clean the necks with steel wool as well before running them in the anealler.

I like to tumble, (make them babies shine), rinse with distilled water, let dry and then anneal and size.
    Charlton Heston

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #20 on: 04:54 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • The way I am doing it, I only have to run the cases in the tumbler once.

Offline timeout

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+72)
    • Ace Member
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #21 on: 05:22 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • I have been depriming first per the instructions that came with my bench source. I imagine that is just a CYA safety deal on their part, and would have no actual affect on the cartridge case during annealing. I have not had my annealer for very long and may or may not change my procedure. If you choose to deprime first, a Wilson neck die with the bushing removed can be used.

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #22 on: 05:22 PM, 07/11/12 »
  • The way I am doing it, I only have to run the cases in the tumbler once.

what's your process
    Charlton Heston

Offline amlevin

• Ace Member
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #23 on: 11:16 AM, 07/12/12 »
  • I like to anneal clean cases.  Easier to see color change and no burned on "gunk".  The more 'schmutz" on the case, the uglier it is after annealing.  Clean cases give a nice color line on the body, a slightly discolored case neck, just like factory Lapua brass.

For me, it's de-prime with universal depriming die, tumble in Stainless media to clean case inside, outside, and primer pockets too, then anneal.  From there I size and trim if necessary.  Since I've changed to the Forster Shoulder Bump/Neck Size bushing die, the minute amount of lube left on the outside of the case neck can be wiped off in a flash before I charge the cases.

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #24 on: 02:51 PM, 07/12/12 »
  • I have a FLUKE-62 - INFRARED THERMOMETER, I have been watching the case go to 725F as they spin out of the flame. From what I have read 700-775 is a good temp. Anyone else using a INFRARED THERMOMETER, what are your temp coming out at?
    Charlton Heston

Offline ElJay

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Basic Member
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #25 on: 06:22 PM, 07/12/12 »
  • 300 RUM,

Can you provide more details regarding your procedure? Dwell time etc. Seems like you have a quantitative approach. Most discussions I've read simply say" You will get the hang of it after a while".

ElJay

Offline spclark

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+15)
    • Ace Member
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #26 on: 08:21 PM, 07/12/12 »
  • ...people are saying they have to be deprimed before hand. I have never deprimed for the same reasons you described.

People say lots of things but whether what they're trying to tell you works with the way you want to do things is strictly up to you.

I deprime before cleaning cases (SS media convert here) because it gives me a chance to feel for loose primers (I use a Wilson decapping pin & case base and a small ball peen hammer; doing this by hand also keeps primer grit away from my press ram) early on. If I feel a case is too far gone to reload again it gets tossed at the start. With the wet method of cleaning, having the flash hole open on both ends I think gives more thorough flushing of the cleaning solution thru each case and of course the SS media can clean primer pockets too, not a bad thing.

Annealing gets done once cases are thoroughly dry. MUCH easier to judge progress on clean cases.

As for flame dwell time, I count seconds by habit. 7 for 308, 6 for 6mm while watching for a subtle change in the appearance of the cleaned brass. Some cases turn blue / purple if they've sat clean for a few days, all show the blue band below the shoulder when 'done'.

Early on I used the TempLaq to gauge time & flame size on my single-burner propane torch. After 2-300 cases, you do get a feel for what a proper job looks like.
    « Last Edit: 08:23 PM, 07/12/12 by spclark »
    "The present Democratic Administration has far exceeded our worst apprehensions .  .  . in its general and unvarying abuse of the power intrusted to it by a confiding people.”

Offline Charlie Watson

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    • F-Class T/R
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #27 on: 11:08 AM, 07/13/12 »
  • I anneal after every firing with a Benchsource. Decap, stainless steel clean, dry, then anneal.
    US Army Vietnam 1969-70
    F-Class T/R Master

Offline markm87

Anneal or not to
    « Reply #28 on: 11:13 AM, 07/13/12 »
  • I agree with spclark and Charlie Watson COMPLETELY.

I won't perform any prep until my brass is decapped and clean.  It's not the law... but once you do it this way, you'll never go back to filthy loading.  ;)

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
    Anneal or not to
    « Reply #29 on: 01:13 PM, 07/13/12 »
  • 300 RUM,

Can you provide more details regarding your procedure? Dwell time etc. Seems like you have a quantitative approach. Most discussions I've read simply say" You will get the hang of it after a while".

ElJay

To start one needs to know what and who your working with. I am more less a physicist, so you can only imagine I over engineer and think every thing.

So to start, the brass used for rifle cases = a 70/30 blend.

The C26000 alloy is also known as C260 (or simply 260), alpha brass, 70/30, and cartridge brass. It has many uses in architectural, electrical, hardware, munitions and plumbing industries.  C26000 has a nominal composition of 70% copper and 30 % zinc.  It is a single phase alloy (", bcc) up to its solidus at 915°C. 

Because C26000 is a single phase alloy it is not considered heat treatable, but it can be strengthened by cold working(also known as sizing, not good) and softened by annealing (good).  The high work hardening rate of this alloy means cold working can increase the yield strength dramatically, from 75 MPa in the fully annealed condition to over 450 MPa in the full-hard condition.  Along with this increase in strength comes a decrease in ductility, from 68% down to 5%.  Recovery annealing will restore a small amount of ductility with little change in strength and hardness.  Annealing that results in recrystallization can extend the ductility considerably and can more than halve the hardness and strength.  Further annealing will lead to grain growth which can produce further decreases in strength and increases in ductility, but can also lead to a lower fracture toughness.

My take on a proper temperature for annealing cartage brass is 700 F to 800 F. The way we anneal is not truly the correct way how ever it does the job and does it well. Truly annealed brass can take hours at a much higher temp and time. Due to the thickness of material much less time and temp is needed.

My annealing machine, the one I built has a SFPM of 5, I use MAP gas not LP (propane) and my torch tip is a target type (better concentration of heat). The torch tip is much closer to the work piece then what you may be used to and the time is shorter also. I use two torches with their flame front crossing at 18 deg, this gives me a pre and post heat condition. My cases spin 180deg as they are entering the pre heat area, continuing into the  flame convergence where a 360 deg rotation takes place under full heat to another 180 turn in to the post heat. This is where I have been able to get the most accurate temp reading of 725 F. Oh maybe I should add when the case is in the flame front the temp on average is 820 F and the time in full flame is 1.5 sec, so (pre heat) .75 sec (full heat) 1.5 sec (post heat) .75 sec total time of 3 sec.
    « Last Edit: 02:16 PM, 07/13/12 by 300 RUM »
    Charlton Heston

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.