Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: H4895 in 223?  (Read 5446 times)

Offline MildBill

• Trade Count: (+18)
H4895 in 223?
« on: 07:28 PM, 06/27/12 »
  • Being still very new to metallic reloading I hope not to offend anyone with what may appear to be silly questions.

I have been reloading my 223 using benchmark and 8208xbr. 

I have observed that these two powders appear to leave quite a bit less carbon residue in the barrel, based on the color of the patches, when I clean the gun compared to whatever Black Hills and Ultramax put in their re-manufactured stuff, which shoots quite good for me.

I am looking into trying H4895 in my 223 as well and was curious as to what people have found residue and performance wise with it compared to benchmark and 8208xbr.

I am mainly shooting 50 grain bullets, also have some 55's, 60's and some 53 grain v-max I am looking to try.

Thanks!!!

Offline fredhorace77

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #1 on: 07:51 PM, 06/27/12 »
  • H4895 is an awesome powder as the ones u r using already. One thing i learned over 20yrs. of reloading...if u find a powder that is shooting good groups and getting good velocity and cleans easily dont burn ur barrel out looking for something you've already found. Load it up and go hunting

Offline Scotsman1

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+12)
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #2 on: 08:49 PM, 06/27/12 »
  •   4895's are good powders, but as the other fella said, you're shooting good stuff now.
     It is inevitable that we all (shooters) constantly search for something new, but one finally has to just "dance with who brung ya".

P.S. If carbon and fowling are an issue for you, there is a new powder out by Hodgden called CFE223. 
    From what I'm told, it's the cleanest by far.

Cheers,
    Scotsman1
    Save a seal, club a Liberal!

Offline MildBill

H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #3 on: 09:00 PM, 06/27/12 »
  • thanks for the replies.

I am not looking for anything cleaner than benchmark or 8208xbr, just not really looking for something really dirty.

Offline moorepower

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+4)
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #4 on: 02:36 AM, 06/28/12 »
  • H4895 is my first choice for the heavier bullets.
    Pat Moore

Offline Bradley Walker

• Ace Member
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #5 on: 09:27 AM, 06/28/12 »
  • It appears that H4895 and X8208 are very, very similar.

Offline mr45man

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+41)
    • Ace Member
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #6 on: 10:46 AM, 06/28/12 »
    Yes but 8208 measures a lot better

Offline Bradley Walker

• Ace Member
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #7 on: 11:18 AM, 06/28/12 »
    Yes but 8208 measures a lot better

Oh yes, it's good stuff.  Looks like H322.

Offline jhord

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+26)
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #8 on: 01:56 PM, 06/28/12 »
  • If you are happy with Benchmark and/or 8208 there's not much reason to try anything else.  BM is by far the cleanest burning powder I've tried in the .223, bolt or black rifle.  I have messed around with CFE223 and it appears to be just as clean burning, and with the anti-copper fouling properties, also has great potential.  Tentatively my plan is to switch my AR over to CFE223 after Camp Perry.  (from RL15, which is filthy) 

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+50)
    • Ace Member
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #9 on: 11:31 AM, 06/30/12 »
  • I use IMR 4895 in a bolt 223 with 55gr bullets but it is dirty.  I use it because I have  good supply that i bought in the late 80's, I have tried Bencmark and would use it if I had to go buy new powder.  My load is 27 gr with the Wolf/Tula primer.  This is above the published load so work up to it in your gun.  It also is a fire formed case, neck sized and it is full but shoots very good at 300yds.

Offline MildBill

H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #10 on: 03:39 PM, 06/30/12 »
  • after a little hands on investigation I am sticking with benchmark

Offline robbor

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #11 on: 04:43 PM, 06/30/12 »
  • I see that 4895 produces high velocities with heavy bullets, im wondering if it will also do well with normal 50gr bullets and longer barrels? im planning on a 28" 222 rem and i have 5 lbs of powder laying around

Offline K22

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #12 on: 07:27 PM, 06/30/12 »
  • If you like to experiment then try it. The 223 works well with a wide variety of powders and in my experience is quite easy to reload.

I've used Benchmark and it works quite well especially with 50 grain bullets. It's the "best accuracy load" stated in the Nosler Manual for 50 grain bullets. I use it in my shorter barrel 223's (22" and under).

If you're like me, once I get something that works, I stick with it. I really don't enjoy testing loads - I know some guys love it and more power to them. I'd rather be hunting groundhogs or coyotes or practicing shooting off my sticks honing my shooting skills. (I hate shooting off the bench - I can't take in the field with me  >:()

H4895 is a proven performer in the 223 as well as H335, H322, and IMR 4895.

I currently use Varget in my longer barrel varmint rifles (24" and above) because it works quite well in all of them and is clean burner and seems to be somewhat temperature tolerant. I get very consistant results with Varget.

However I don't think you can go wrong with either Benchmark or H4895.

Offline nastynatesfish

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • A day which we will live in infamy
    H4895 in 223?
    « Reply #13 on: 09:03 PM, 08/21/12 »
  • Try some Ramshot TAC

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.