Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6.5-284 hunting loads  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Hatchet_Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
6.5-284 hunting loads
« on: 01:43 PM, 06/25/12 »
  • I am looking for powder and load tips on developing a load for my 6.5-284 hunting rifle.  I am shooting 140 hybrids and have a 26 inch barrel.  I tried 4350 but got pressure signs at only a little over 2,900.  I'm trying to get more velocity without the pressure but still have decent accuracy.  I am trying 4381SC later this week. 

Offline .260 james

• Trade Count: (+7)
    6.5-284 hunting loads
    « Reply #1 on: 02:31 PM, 06/25/12 »
  • H4831sc and Reloder 17 should get you enuff speed. Let me know what you find for good working loads, my brother just got a 6.5-284 with a 26" barrel and will commence working up loads directly with it.

Offline kyreloader

• Trade Count: (+9)
    6.5-284 hunting loads
    « Reply #2 on: 03:50 PM, 06/25/12 »
  • I worked up to 58g H1000 with 140g bullets seated with the boattail at neck/shoulder junction.  That seemed to be where mine liked to shoot.  6.5x284 seemed to work best with slower powders (H1000/Magnum/Magpro/MRP) for me.

Offline archerross

• Trade Count: (+4)
    6.5-284 hunting loads
    « Reply #3 on: 06:46 PM, 06/25/12 »
  • H4831sc should get you there.  I found good hunting loads with H4831sc and RL17 with the 140 Accubond.  I did, however, bag the RL17 as I found it to be most accurate at near max pressures and it was more temp sensitive than the pressures would allow.  You might also want to try VV N165.  My gunsmith likes that powder for the 140 class bullets in 6.5-284.  He claims it achieves similar velocity to RL17 yet is cleaner and less sensitive to temperature changes.  Good luck and keep us posted on your results.  My rifle decidedly did not like H1000.  After testing 3 different bullets with H1000 (read that as wasted barrel life) I sold the 3 remaining pounds I had and bought an 8# keg of H4831sc...powder choice=done for me.

Offline Hatchet_Jack

• Basic Member
    6.5-284 hunting loads
    « Reply #4 on: 09:33 AM, 06/26/12 »
  • Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know what I come up with on the 4831. 

Offline dennisinaz

6.5-284 hunting loads
    « Reply #5 on: 11:44 PM, 06/26/12 »
  • I have a lot of  experience with 6.5-284s and have chambered 3 this year so far. IF you have a hunting length barrel (under 26" or so) you will never be happy with 4350 and the likes. They are great powders for 30" barrels but will never get good velocities with the shorter barrels. All mine are 25" barrels at this point.

I hunt with 130 grain bullets as I prefer the extra velocity that I get and maintain and reasonable distances (less that 800 yds) as the bullets perform better when going a little faster. I use R17 mostly and have not run into the temp problems eluded to. I have also had good luck with Magpro and Magnum.

I can get 2950 -3000 with these powders. I can't get over 2830 with 4350. Same with 4831.  If you are trying to make a hunting rifle shoot 1/4" groups, good luck. If you feel satisfied with .75 MOA at high velocities, then Magpro and R17 are your friend.

I use 50-51 grains with a 130 Norma Diamond line (moly). Start lower and work up. My 130s are about 3150 or so.

I did some testing for Berger with 140 Hybrids and used several powders.  I was able to hold  .75 MOA out to 800 yards and sometimes, when I got favorable wind, .4-.5 MOA. I was able to push them to about 2970 or so

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.