Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Magneto Speed magnetic chronograph  (Read 17559 times)

Offline effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ace Member
Magneto Speed magnetic chronograph
« Reply #15 on: 09:35 AM, 07/02/12 »
  • Just what I need, another "Must Have" piece of gear to upgrade what already works fairly well (CED).  Great information on the tests.  I think the biggest benefit from my point of view will be easy set up.  Getting a chrony positioned properly at a busy range takes a while. 

Scott

Online hogpatrol

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+83)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #16 on: 08:20 PM, 07/02/12 »
  • First time I used the Magnetospeed on an Annie 17hmr pistol & it would not register. Changed the bullet type to shotgun/slug & it worked flawlessly. Found that the 12 inch barrel versus a 24 inch barrel, the mv loss was less than 150fps. POI moved 1/2 to the left @ 100 yds. with the unit on the barrel.  Elevation remained the same. Setup is so easy, switching between different guns is a non event. I checked some loads on a 6BR, an AR and the pistol in a few hours.
    "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct."
    Benjamin Disraeli

Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    • Jason Walker
    « Reply #17 on: 12:39 AM, 07/11/12 »
  • I ordered one yesterday, I have a Oehler 35P also ordered. Will compair it to my CED, and Chrony. I need a chronograph I can trust and that has been a problem. Hopefully it will be resolved and there will be some used chronographs for sale in the next three weeks.
    Nat Lambeth

Have you had a chance to test things yet Nat?

Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    • Jason Walker
    « Reply #18 on: 11:03 PM, 07/25/12 »
  • Thank you Heavies for your reviews. Since Nat has not gotten back to us with his testing against the 35P and lesser chronos, I will ask if anyone has had any negative experiences with the magneto unit?
    Jason

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+6)
      • Hawaii's Firearm and 2a forum
    « Reply #19 on: 12:16 AM, 07/26/12 »
  • You are very welcome. I just hope that the info was useful. I have not got to test working up a accuracy loads with the unit attached as of yet.  I have been busy playing with my recently acquired Garand. ;) 

The only problems I have encountered thus far are, 

Unit failed to read because I didn't have the plug inserted into the display completely, easy fix and my fault completely.

The unit failed to read when attached to a 1" diameter 6mmbr barrel, fix was I had to play with the sensitivity a bit, after that no problems, velocity was right in line on the known load that we where shooting.

The point of impact with the unit attached was not predictable with the known loads zeros. Not a big deal IMHO

So far so good. :)  it also worked great on the garand, I just attached it at the 10 o'clock position in back of the front sight. The device clocked every shot. :)

Online fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+93)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #20 on: 09:17 AM, 07/26/12 »
  • Been using my Magnetospeed for several weeks now, and it's operating 100% perfect.

Have a Case Guard pistol case (sized for one pistol), have not been using it, and found it to be a perfect fit for the entire contents of the cardboard box that the Magnetospeed came in. The foam padding easily peeled off the cardboard box,  and the glue spots peeled off the foam without any damage.

I now have a secure box for transportation and storage.

Point of impact shifts about 1" to 1.5" high at 100 yards, but still have not verified that it does or does not effect group size.

The Shooting Chrony1 that I attempted to use for years, usually with more failures than reliable results, is "gone".
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Online hogpatrol

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #21 on: 10:02 PM, 08/09/12 »
  • Recently had some issues with my Magnetospeed using it on a 17FB.  Speeds on one load ranged from 1799 to 3854.
    Previously shot it with everything from .17HMR to 6BRs and did not have a problem.  Anyone else see this?
    Have not replaced the batteries since new. Will be interesting to see if that's the answer.
    Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
      • Hawaii's Firearm and 2a forum
    « Reply #22 on: 06:05 AM, 08/10/12 »
  • Recently had some issues with my Magnetospeed using it on a 17FB.  Speeds on one load ranged from 1799 to 3854.
    Previously shot it with everything from .17HMR to 6BRs and did not have a problem.  Anyone else see this?
    Have not replaced the batteries since new. Will be interesting to see if that's the answer.

One other issue I had was I tried to chronograph some old surplus ball, caliber 30-06.  I didn't realize that the bullet had a steel core.  All I needed to do was to change the sensitivity to 'Magnetic bullet'  and the problem was resolved.

Try playing with these settings and I think your problems may be solved.

Online fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+93)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #23 on: 06:17 AM, 08/10/12 »
  • When I spoke to a rep at Magnetospeed he said a trouble shooting guide is in the works.
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Online hogpatrol

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #24 on: 07:24 AM, 08/10/12 »
  • It was a little frustrating seeing 600+ fps changes in muzzle velocity but bugs are to be expected with a new product. You don't know them all until you get them in the field and put 'em through the ringer. Still when it was working properly, it was a great tool. Heavy rain here on the east coast today, so re-testing with new batteries will have to wait. Looks like an all-dayer at the reloading bench.  :D
    Benjamin Disraeli

Offline btm_54

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #25 on: 07:35 AM, 08/10/12 »
  • Has any body tried using it in an indoor rifle range?
    Regards,
    btm_54

Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    • Jason Walker
    « Reply #26 on: 10:14 PM, 08/10/12 »
  • I got mine today and with very minimal testing it seems to work just fine. Velocities were right with previous results from shooting chrony and POI was +4" at 400yd versus without it attached. Hopeful that durability holds up. Pretty nice when compared to setting up a conventional chronograph.
    Jason

Offline GSPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #27 on: 12:14 PM, 08/14/12 »
  • Just wanted to provide some feedback on Magnetospeed customer service.  They are absolutely *excellent*.  See the email chain below.  Despite the time hacks shown, the real time between my email and theirs was less than an hour....

I now never go to the range without it.   Best.  Gadget.  Ever.

Greg Jennings

========

RE: Replacement Part Question
    1 recipientsCC: recipientsYou MoreBCC: recipientsYou Hide Details FROM:MagnetoSpeed TO:Greg Jennings Message flagged Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:58 PM Greg,

Sorry to hear that the click cam broke.  We will get a new one in the mail to you ASAP.

We have a redesigned system in the works and are getting tooled up to make them.  It should be a pretty easy retrofit to the existing design.

Thanks,
    Weston Petersen
    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Replacement Part Question
    Date: Tue, August 14, 2012 9:44 am
    To: "info@magnetospeed.com" <info@magnetospeed.com>

My MagnetoSpeed choronograph is terrific.  My only problem is that the latch that locks the web band around the barrel is fragile.  Mine broke the second time that I used it.

What can I do to replace the latch?   Is there a more robust version of the latch available?

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
    Greg J.

Online hogpatrol

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #28 on: 06:15 PM, 08/14/12 »
  • +1 on the customer service. After installing new batteries, mine started acting up again, readings all over the map on tight groups. Emailed them today, explaining the problem in detail and they emailed me a shipping label to return the unit for exchange.
    Benjamin Disraeli

Offline LRPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    • Jason Walker
    « Reply #29 on: 11:12 PM, 08/19/12 »
  • I had my first problem yesterday. I couldn't get any readings on two different Ar-15 rifles. One is a 24" bull  barrel with no muzzle device and the other was a 16" heavy barrel contour with an A2 flash hider. Both shooting 53 Vmax with the same load. Still reads on bolt guns, not sure what's going on. Am I missing something?
    Jason

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.