Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Magneto Speed magnetic chronograph  (Read 18536 times)

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Hawaii's Firearm and 2a forum
Magneto Speed magnetic chronograph
« on: 03:10 PM, 06/24/12 »
  • A good chronograph, IMO, is an essential part of any precision reloaders arsenal.  My old Shooting Chrony was not getting the job done to my satisfaction, so I needed something better.  I found out about this device from postings on this site, accurateshooter.com.

First impressions

The construction of the display unit seemed a bit on the flimsy side, but, with care, I believe the unit will last.
    The sensor unit seems fairly sturdy, however like other reviews out there, the units clip latch seems like it might wear out.

The first shots

I read the instructions carefully and mounted the unit per.  I then proceeded to fire the first round.  To my chagrin, no reading.   I looked over the unit and connections, loaded another round, and again, no reading.
    Now I’m starting to worry, took a step back and paused.  I then un plugged the cable and reinserted.  Loaded the third shot, bang, a reading.  Lesson, be sure the cable is fully inserted, because the unit will turn on with the plug not seated completely, but no reading will result.

I then proceeded to fire a three, then a five round group.  The shots landed about 3 MOA high, which was of no surprise and expected from reading of other reviews on the web.  A quick scope adjustment easily had rounds landing where I wanted them.  All of these shot registered velocity and calculated average, extreme spread, and standard deviation.  Storing the data to the included memory card worked and data was easily recalled using the toggle button and switch.

The unit also came with a card adapter. This adapter is used to down load info to a PC, however, plugging the card into the PC I have cause some software errors.  I have a printer with a card reader and I was able to extract the data that way.  Not sure what that issue is about, but I am happy that I was able to retrieve the data.  Maybe some computer gurus out there can recommend a course of action in this regard.

Accuracy with the Bayo unit attached

For the first shots, the accuracy of the rounds fired was within the typical patterning of this rifle.  Group size seems to be in line with the typical accuracy of this rifle.  The only change noticed thus far is the point of impact shifting about 3” high at 100 yards with the device clamped at the 6 o’clock position on the end of the barrel.

There has been debate on the value of this chronograph, on this and other forums, due to the fact that the unit must be clamped to the barrel.  This argument probably has merit, it is known that devices, such as barrel tuners, use extra mass to ‘tune‘ loads and accuracy in rifles.  However, from what I have gathered so far, the un changed loads I have shot has not deviated from the 100 yard accuracy I have typically seen from my shooting ability and rifle.

Further testing will be done to satisfy my curiosity and determine the practical uses of the device.  So far I am happy with the products performance.  I will update results and data as time and shooting permits.

These are the best groups I have shot so far with and without the Bayo unit attached.  More data needs to be collected to come to any sort of conclusion.

Data from unit...

185 Berger BTLR
    Series, 1, Shots:, 4
    Min,2797, Max,2834
    Avg,2815 ,S-D,  16
    ES ,  37

Series,Shot,Speed 
     1, 1, 2797, ft/sec
     1, 2, 2807, ft/sec
     1, 3, 2834, ft/sec
     1, 4, 2824, ft/sec
    ----,----,----,----

168 Berger Hybrids
    Series, 2, Shots:, 3
    Min,2868, Max,2888
    Avg,2877 ,S-D,  10
    ES ,  20

Series,Shot,Speed 
     2, 1, 2875, ft/sec
     2, 2, 2888, ft/sec
     2, 3, 2868, ft/sec
    ----,----,----,----

168 Berger hybrids 44 grains XBR 100 in/lb crimp
    Series, 3, Shots:, 5
    Min,2862, Max,2870
    Avg,2867 ,S-D,   3
    ES ,   8

Series,Shot,Speed 
     3, 1, 2862, ft/sec
     3, 2, 2870, ft/sec
     3, 3, 2868, ft/sec
     3, 4, 2870, ft/sec
     3, 5, 2868, ft/sec
    ----,----,----,----

155 SMK palmas 44.9 XBR LR primer Palma brass

Series, 4, Shots:,10
    Min,2970, Max,2988
    Avg,2976 ,S-D,   7
    ES ,  18

Series,Shot,Speed 
     4, 1, 2983, ft/sec
     4, 2, 2977, ft/sec
     4, 3, 2981, ft/sec
     4, 4, 2988, ft/sec
     4, 5, 2970, ft/sec
     4, 6, 2970, ft/sec
     4, 7, 2970, ft/sec
     4, 8, 2970, ft/sec
     4, 9, 2985, ft/sec
     4,10, 2972, ft/sec
    ----,----,----,----

Data from the unit is pretty much perfectly in line from my drop numbers calculated from my confirmed 600 yard zero on these loads.  This is outstanding!  No more guessing on unreliable Shooting Chrony readings!

So far I am liking the unit just because the readings are so consistent and seem to be very reliable.  More testing to come...

Offline mikecr

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 06:48 PM, 06/24/12 »
  • Good review. Thanks for the efforts in providing it.
    How does it handle muzzle blast?
    Does it move around any?
    Mar the barrel finish?
    What is the claimed accuracy?
    Limitations, qualifiers, or caveats?

I'm an Oehler user, and probably as skeptical as anyone about this new toy.
    I've re-graphed my ladders in the past, adjusting to MV per shot. But charge info has ultimately panned out as more useful.
    Now the only thing I use my chrono for is just what you're doing. Getting external ballistic information.
    I could combine this -with an Oehler downrange..
    And I can't help but love toys!

Yep, I'm amped :)

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: 07:29 PM, 06/24/12 »
  • Good review. Thanks for the efforts in providing it.
    How does it handle muzzle blast?
    Does it move around any?
    Mar the barrel finish?
    What is the claimed accuracy?
    Limitations, qualifiers, or caveats?

I'm an Oehler user, and probably as skeptical as anyone about this new toy.
    I've re-graphed my ladders in the past, adjusting to MV per shot. But charge info has ultimately panned out as more useful.
    Now the only thing I use my chrono for is just what you're doing. Getting external ballistic information.
    I could combine this -with an Oehler downrange..
    And I can't help but love toys!

Yep, I'm amped :)

The only thing I can see so far is slight powder burns in the blast beam(area that is cut out where the end of the barrel overhangs).

So far I have seen no movement on the muzzle as long as the straps are secure.  The clamp has a soft rubber or silicone like material that keep slippage to a minimum.  On a note, the barrel I am running has a centering ring for a Centra Goliath front aperture sight, so after a round or two the device wil set itself into the ring and not move at all.  I am not sure how the device will react to barrel that is tapered with no front sight.

Even with the straps tight the device left no marks on the stainless Bartlein barrel that it was clamped to.  The rubber/silicone pad most likely will not mar any stainless type finish.  Blued finish, not sure, nylon straps may rub, but I do not plan on testing this aspect.

The manufacturer accuracy claims.  http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/reviews-tests

Limitations are that the chrono can only be used on certain types and diameters of barrel. So this may not be the end all solution to someones needs.  I only really read velocity from my rifle loads, so this device fit my purpose smartly.

Offline GSPV

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:10 PM, 06/25/12 »
  • My lovely wife of 23 years gave me one for Fathers Day.   I used it for the first time Sat.   I used it on a polished HV barrel and a HV with a Shadetree tuner installed.  Worked like a charm.  Stupid easy to use.

It stowed easily in my Stanely rolling shooting box.  I may never leave for the range without it ever again.

Greg J
    Greg J.

Offline Rustystud

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 06:10 AM, 06/27/12 »
  • I ordered one yesterday, I have a Oehler 35P also ordered. Will compair it to my CED, and Chrony. I need a chronograph I can trust and that has been a problem. Hopefully it will be resolved and there will be some used chronographs for sale in the next three weeks.
    Nat Lambeth

Online hogpatrol

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+91)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 10:43 AM, 06/28/12 »
  • I have one and like the way it sets up, takes down and records data. The whole unit fits in a small box, so far I am using the one as shown on a previous post.  POI changes slightly but groups are basically unchanged.  I like the way I can't turn it in to a pile of scrap like my last one, a chrony.    :(
    « Last Edit: 10:48 AM, 06/28/12 by hogpatrol »
    "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct."
    Benjamin Disraeli

Online hogpatrol

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 10:53 AM, 06/28/12 »
  • " Limitations are that the chrono can only be used on certain types and diameters of barrel. So this may not be the end all solution to someones needs.  I only really read velocity from my rifle loads, so this device fit my purpose smartly. "

Mine came with an additional barrel clamp to be used with skinny barrels. My Model 7 in 17fireball's muzzle is 1/2 inch in diameter and tapered & no issues with blast or bore being too close or to the unit. Works perfect.
    « Last Edit: 10:55 AM, 06/28/12 by hogpatrol »
    Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: 03:14 PM, 06/28/12 »
  • I ordered one yesterday, I have a Oehler 35P also ordered. Will compair it to my CED, and Chrony. I need a chronograph I can trust and that has been a problem. Hopefully it will be resolved and there will be some used chronographs for sale in the next three weeks.
    Nat Lambeth

Interested in seeing the results of concurrent velocity testing. I hope to finish up the group test this weekend, next I was going to work up a load with the unit attached and see how the load reacts when the device is not on the barrel.

I am no benchrest shooter and not the best shooter, but I hope that these reviews and testing is useful for those looking for alternative chronograph options.

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 09:57 PM, 06/28/12 »
  • In comparison tests, the MagnetoSpeed should always be slightly faster due to the proximity to the muzzle.
    Reed Garfield

Offline mikecr

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 08:45 AM, 06/29/12 »
  • You can derive MV, so that your comparison is better:
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/true-muzzle-velocity-61081/

Offline hogdogger

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #10 on: 06:16 AM, 06/30/12 »
  • Used mine for a bit and I love the ease of use especially at the range did I say it was easy to use :) I used it on varying barrel sizes and all went well.

The biggest limitation on this is the plastic clamp that tightens the strap. There has been numerous claims that these have broken so I have been very careful with mine. I am going to try testing a way to eliminate or beef up this up a bit and hopefully it works out. Mine did move a small bit on the bigger calibers but it didnt affect readings or accuracy at all.

Like other reviews I read it did affect POI but DID NOT affect accuracy as far as I could tell. All the rifles held thier accuracy with the bayonet strapped to the end of the barrel. But POI shifted roughly an inch from zero.

The readings I get are spot on with my Oehler 35P from the data I had from the rifles I tested.

Hope this helped

Aloha!

Offline DukeDuke

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 07:58 AM, 06/30/12 »
  • Did anybody try it with a semi-auto pistol?

Online hogpatrol

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 12:23 PM, 06/30/12 »
  • Did anybody try it with a semi-auto pistol?

On their website, they do not show it being used on any semi handgun, only revolvers/fixed barrels. It would probably be easy enough to rig up something to attach to a front rest for testing.
    Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Jaxdilation

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #13 on: 07:25 PM, 06/30/12 »
  • I had to buy my wife a tv for fathers day. But I got a magneto speed too!
    It fits right in my drag bag.  I won't go shooting without it. 

How many times have we all wished we had a chrony along, but it wasn't practical?

My lovely wife of 23 years gave me one for Fathers Day.   I used it for the first time Sat.   I used it on a polished HV barrel and a HV with a Shadetree tuner installed.  Worked like a charm.  Stupid easy to use.

It stowed easily in my Stanely rolling shooting box.  I may never leave for the range without it ever again.

Greg J

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: 12:06 AM, 07/02/12 »
  • Ok,  I finished up my test, of sorts, to see if the bayonet effected groups size.  The procedure I used:

Loaded all rounds on the same day to get a consistent sample of the ammunition.  All brass was freshly annealed, shoulder bumped .0005", neck sized with the Lee Collet Neck sizer, 'rested' for 3 days, primer pockets cleaned with the Sinclair LR primer pocket uniformer, primed with PMC Russian primers, and bullets (155 grn SMK Palmas)  seated to .040" off of the lands.  The charge was 44.9 grains of IMR 8208 XBR dispensed by the RCBS Chargemaster.  All charges loaded were thrown by the Chargematster unit exactly, any low or high charge was dumped back into the hopper.

Wind conditions were bad, Very windy.  This, in addition to my poor shooting ability, OK mostly due to my poor shooting ability, accounted for some poor groups.  However, the amount of samplings, IMO, can give a good idea of how the Magneto unit performed.

All shots were from the prone position from a Mwerks bipod and a Protecktor rear bag.  Wind flags were utilized, somewhat, at the firing line, 50 yards, and at the target, 100yards.

I shot 10, three round, groups with no unit; I then shot 10, three round, groups with the unit attached to the barrel.

Here is the worst group with no unit.

Here is the worst group with the unit attached...

The best groups are posted in the original post.

Here is the data that I collected...

The Average with the unit attached to the barrel was .4126", and the average group size with nothing on the barrel measured .4479".  With such a small difference in the group averages, I believe that the Magneto speed bayonet, attached to the barrel, has a minimal effect on group size accuracy.  With that being said, the unit DOES effect the point of impact on the target.  This shift in POI, for my current 100yard zero, was not necessarily predicable.  With the unit off and on a few times, I noted that once the shots flew 3MOA high, another time the unit shot 1MOA high and to the right .5MOA, and lastly the POI was right on the 100 yard zero, no shift at all.  This, I postulate, is because the unit cannot be attactched in the same place and in the same position all the time, therefore, the POI shifts cannot be accurately predicted.

I believe that this can be worked around with foulers and sighters that are necessary during load development anyway.

The chronograph performed flawlessly during the entire session.  No shots went unrecorded, and all data was inline with known data that I have collected for this load.  I believe that this new product can be very useful for the precision reloader.  On a side note, the conditions I shot in today would have rendered my conventional Shooting Chrony useless!

I hope that this review is useful to all, and Any critiques or comments are welcome. :)

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.