Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Powder recommendation for .223  (Read 5362 times)

Offline jerrschmitt

• Trade Count: (0)
Powder recommendation for .223
« Reply #15 on: 11:54 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • My .223 prairie dog load is H322 with a 50 VMAX over a CCI Mag primer.  Prior to that I used BLC with good results.  Varget is a little slow for most .223 loads.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #16 on: 11:59 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • My favorite 52 grain powder is 2015BR.  25 grains of 2015BR is bughole.

Seriously you can pretty much substitute VV133 and Reloader 10x.  I bet H322 would be very close too...  I need to try that...

BTW, I love the Varget/R15 "full case" load.  Very, very consistent...  I can load them by hand, but it spills on my progressive!!!

Offline th82457

• Trade Count: (+20)
    « Reply #17 on: 05:46 PM, 06/14/12 »
  • I have had best results with Benchmark and H322 with 50 to 55 gr. bullets. Both are extremely consistent.

Offline A_Gamehog

« Reply #18 on: 10:43 PM, 06/14/12 »
  • One thing about your quest is to reconsider maximum loads in extreme conditions and short periods between shots.

You want your rifles to last and the accuracy to be constant for the life of the rifle. I don't shoot the maximum loads

and strive for accuracy instead of speed. If you want speed shoot the 34 grain bullets @ 3800+ fps. the damage is

as good as the 204's and the recoil slight. I really like IMR 8208 with the 34's and 53's in a dogtown. Varget is also great.

Just trying to help as I shoot 5,000+ rds of ammo @ varmints each year, but rotate rifles when the shooting gets good.

"Happiness  for me is a Barred Owl eating a Spotted Owl" Environmentalists watching nature do what I could not.

Offline Shynloco

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    • You can lead a horse to water, but ........
    « Reply #19 on: 08:17 AM, 06/15/12 »
  • Jim,
       Not to sound like a broken record, but I would try BLC-2 in your rifle.  I know H335 is loved by many in their rifles (not to mention Sierra lists it as their "Accuracy Load" for 52 & 53 Gr bullets), but was amongst the worst I tested in my Model 12 VLP when all other factors were the same in the rounds loaded.  And to me, the SD on your list is way too much that could be caused by factors OTHER than loading flubs, though they do seem somewhat extreme to me.  I have a friend who shoots again the same model 12 VLP rifle who swears by BLC-2 and his SD is usually 8-10 when he chronies his loads and he's big time into hunting PD's.

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #20 on: 08:32 AM, 06/15/12 »
  • Suggest you consider the new Hodgdon CFE-223 powder. We have heard very positive reports from the folks who've tried it, and it should offer good velocity in your .223 Rem with a 50-grainer. This powder meters very well.

For comparison purposes, Hodgdon lists the following load for a 50gr Speer Soft Point. Since your bullet is different, proceed with caution.

50 GR. SPR SP    Hodgdon    CFE 223    .224"    2.210" COAL
    Start load: 27.0gr    3241 fps    41,500 PSI
    Max load:  28.5gr   3505 fps   53,600 PSI

Offline Jim747

• Basic Member
    « Reply #21 on: 07:24 PM, 06/15/12 »
  • One thing about your quest is to reconsider maximum loads in extreme conditions and short periods between shots.
    You want your rifles to last and the accuracy to be constant for the life of the rifle. I don't shoot the maximum loads
    and strive for accuracy instead of speed. If you want speed shoot the 34 grain bullets @ 3800+ fps. the damage is
    as good as the 204's and the recoil slight. I really like IMR 8208 with the 34's and 53's in a dogtown. Varget is also great.

Good point A_Gamehog. For the reasons you mentioned, I'll have three rifles with me. A .17 calibur and two .223's. I'll be shooting with a friend who will have at least two so we should be able to keep them cool.

I also agree that max loads will add wear and tear to my barrels so your suggestion to keep things below top speed makes good common sense. My tests stopped at 26 gr Varget which fills to the neck of my Winchester brass.  A Hodgdon book I recently picked up shows compressed loads up to 27.5 gr but I wouldn't ever want to compress powder that much. My 25.8 to 26 gr loads at 3100+ are very accurate so maybe I'll make that my standard load for this trip.

My trip is the end of August so I can tinker with some of the other suggestions. Thanks

Jim

Offline Jim747

• Basic Member
    « Reply #22 on: 07:46 PM, 06/15/12 »
  • Jim,
       Not to sound like a broken record, but I would try BLC-2 in your rifle.  I know H335 is loved by many in their rifles (not to mention Sierra lists it as their "Accuracy Load" for 52 & 53 Gr bullets), but was amongst the worst I tested in my Model 12 VLP when all other factors were the same in the rounds loaded.  And to me, the SD on your list is way too much that could be caused by factors OTHER than loading flubs, though they do seem somewhat extreme to me.  I have a friend who shoots again the same model 12 VLP rifle who swears by BLC-2 and his SD is usually 8-10 when he chronies his loads and he's big time into hunting PD's.

Shynloco - I've eliminated H335 because of temperature sensitive. Today, I talked to a gunsmith at a pretty large reloading store. He said Varget is [by far] their top selling rifle powder a lot of guys like BLC-2 and quite few are using IMR 8208 XBR. I want to give them a look. Thanks

Jim
    « Last Edit: 07:58 PM, 06/15/12 by Jim747 »

Offline huffmanite

« Reply #23 on: 10:35 PM, 06/15/12 »
  • Surprised I didn't see anyone suggest Ramshot TAC powder....leastways I ddn't notice it.  TAC meters great, as does the other Ramshot rifle powders, burns clean and probably a little lower priced than most .223 powders.  My preferred powder for the .223.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.