Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Powder recommendation for .223  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Jim747

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Powder recommendation for .223
« on: 08:23 PM, 06/13/12 »
  • I have a .223 Savage 12 VLP. 1:9 twist on a 26" barrel.

I've been working loads and have had good results with VMAX 53 gr (BT), 55's a and 60's. I've tried other bullets but these seem to work best. I "zero" my scope at 200 yards and get the great groups (.6 MOA) with the 53 gr VMAX and 26 gr Varget - that yields 3140 fps on the chronograph.

Since I will use these loads for prairie dogs and I might have to go out to 400 yards, I would like to see if I can keep accuracy at 3300 or 3400 fps. 26 gr of Varget fills a .223 cartridge so I'm going to have to look at another powder. My loading book lists, IMR 3031, BL-C2, AA 2460 and WIN 748 at speeds of 3400. I use Lee press with the disc measure so I would like a powder that flows well and isn't terribly dirty. Finally, I'll be in Wyoming and it might be hot so I would like a powder that doesn't jump around a lot in hot conditions. Any suggestions which powder to try?

Jim
    « Last Edit: 09:05 PM, 06/13/12 by Jim747 »

Offline necchi

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    Powder recommendation
    « Reply #1 on: 09:06 PM, 06/13/12 »
  • H4895, Benchmark maybe, both are Hodgdons Extreme powders

They have basic data on-line,,

Offline Busdriver

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+13)
    • Ace Member
    • 308 - 6 Dasher - Straight 284, Love 'em
    « Reply #2 on: 09:28 PM, 06/13/12 »
  • I'm just about to start experimenting with H322. According to QL, I should be able to get up into the 3500's with it safely while maintaining accuracy. That's the theory at least.

For now, I'm using 27.5 Varget (compressed a bit - a drop tube is a wonderful thing) - 3380 from a 24" tube

When's the next match?

Online effendude

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:40 PM, 06/13/12 »
  • For the lighter .223 bullets, I like H335.  It meters well, good velocity too. 
    Scott

Offline LCazador

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+62)
    • Ace Member
    • Competitive shooter and reloader for 50 years+
    « Reply #4 on: 09:49 PM, 06/13/12 »
  • AA-2230  or H-335 both meter very well , with H-335 doing better with the heavier bullets . Both are spherical powders , just what you want for " dropped loads " , and yes both do very well in the extreme spread category !! If you're not using a bore scope and a good chronograph , forget everything I said  ;D , hee !!

Offline nonliberal

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+64)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 10:32 PM, 06/13/12 »
  • In the last 3 .223 I've loaded for the 60gr vmax and H4895 have been a great combination.

Offline Shynloco

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    • You can lead a horse to water, but ........
    « Reply #6 on: 11:37 PM, 06/13/12 »
  • Jim,
       I've got the same rifle (Model 12 VLP DBM) and her favorite load is:  52 Gr Berger FB, being pushed by 28.7 Gr BLC-2, Lapua Brass, Federal Small Match Primers, Ojive depth seating measurement of 3.003. I have run extensive tests but don't chrony my loads.  I'm up in the High Desert of So Cal and the temps have not so far interferred in putting together very nice tight 5 shot groups (that a dime easily covers) @100 yds which is what I shoot mostly anymore because of my tired eyes.  Might consider trying this load, with perhaps a minor adjustment in the load for your particular rifle.  BTW, anything over 53 gr bullets and the groups opened up no matter if they were Bergers, Sierra, or Hornady's.

Offline boltfluter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
      • Pro-Precision Rifles
    « Reply #7 on: 07:16 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • Have a couple of friends that run Benchmark with great results. Very temp. insensitive. Good luck.

Regards, Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

Offline markm87

« Reply #8 on: 07:35 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • I'm just about to start experimenting with H322.

That is the best powder I've ever loaded .223 with.  When I  use WOLF SRM primers, I can get 1/4" ammo in bulk with my Dillon 550b.

Online lpreddick

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 09:24 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • 8208 xbr 26 gr, 52 gr fowler does wonders in my savage, same twist.  my 223 les baer varmint ar shoots these also around 3350 fps and is lethal.
    if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!

Offline nfhjr62

« Reply #10 on: 10:28 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • I read in a history of the AR rifle that Gene Stoner specked the power for the first AR's as IMR 3031

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+48)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 10:57 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • Benchmark is great with the 50-55gr bullets and gives good velocity.  You may also look at the 60gr and heavier bullets for less wind drift.

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 11:12 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • H335 is very temperature sensitive.  It shoots good but watch the pressure as the temp. gets hot (90+).  I live in the desert and had H335 ruin cases that were good load but max during the winter.  The pressures tends to jump at the top with the older ball powders, I have not shot the ones that came out in the last 10yrs or so.  748 was more forgiving as to the jumps in pressure, 20yrs ago when I was shooting it. I think the guns tend to go out of tune using ball powders when the temp. changes.  I have a load with H335 that is mild and shoots good using 25grs with a 71/2 primer under a 55gr bullet

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 11:27 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • The 223 was loaded with the old IMR 8208 that was the original H322 and the Thunderbird 322, T322, T8208.  Macnamara wanted all gov ammo loaded with ball powder and the M16's had all kinds of problems and got lot's of my friends killed because of the gun's jamming from fouling.  H335 is dirty powder.

Offline Jim747

• Basic Member
    « Reply #14 on: 11:29 AM, 06/14/12 »
  • Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm loading for a prairie dog hunt in Wyoming and expect to have 300 and some 400 yard targets. That's why I would like a bit more speed if I can maintain accuracy anf that's why I'm trying to find a powder that is less sensitive to temps.  Here is a recent ladder test I did @ 200 yards using the Hornady 53 gr VMAX BT and Varget. Temp was 82 but it's likely to be hotter in Wyoming. https://vimeo.com/44037316 I should say the video is sped up. There were a couple minutes between shots so the barrel would maintain a similar temp.

Shot number 8 is way off and I expect I messed up on the powder load since the speed was not in line with other rounds.

Shot no. Varget gr   FPS
    1   24.2    2,909
    2   24.4    2,930
    3   24.6    2,926
    4   24.8    2,979
    5   25.0    2,996
    6   25.2    3,024
    7   25.4    3,065
    8   25.6    3,036 OOPS
    9   25.8    3,128
    10   26.0    3,140

Shots 7,9 and 10 are tight which makes me think a bit more speed might not hurt accuracy. The "store bought" Hornady ammo with the 53 gr VMAX bullet is in the 3450 fps range so I would like to see if I can get there and maintain the tight group.  Shot number 8 is an OOPS and makes me feel like I'm getting some value for spending the $$$ on the Chrony. All other loads are almost a stright line increase in speed but that one falls out of the normal range. Call it operator error on my part.

Jim

« Last Edit: 11:34 AM, 06/14/12 by Jim747 »

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.