Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Whitleys 260rem 30 degree improved  (Read 6687 times)

Offline dennisinaz

• Trade Count: (0)
Whitleys 260rem 30 degree improved
« Reply #15 on: 08:40 PM, 08/19/12 »
  • I have the 40º version and have chambered several rifles with it. So far, no complaints. I gained about 100 fps and accuracy improved across the board. Is it worth the fireforming trouble? I guess that depends on your needs.  I killed a bear with a Rem mountain rifle so chambered on Wednesday. Probably would have killed him with the Remington version too but I like the improvement.  I just chambered an AR type rifle in it as well. I hope to get the barrel turned down to fit the gas block this week and test it out for feeding and gas hole size.

Offline nam72

• Basic Member
    « Reply #16 on: 02:59 PM, 08/26/12 »
  • What is the increase in case volume with the 30 degree shoulder over standard?

Offline BY1983

• Ace Member
    « Reply #17 on: 08:42 PM, 08/26/12 »
  • The website doesnt list that info, but I would suggest emailing Robert directly as he should be able to give that figure.

I have ordered a reamer and have a barrel being made up, the barrel block should be here by the end of the week, the stock still hasnt been started but I can get that going very easily, action wise Im thinking of putting a pierce LBLP round single shot short action on it.  Should be a nice rig.

Offline Billch

• Basic Member
    « Reply #18 on: 09:37 PM, 08/26/12 »
  • I cant remember off the top of my head what standard 260 Rem. Lapua case is but my 40 deg. is right at 56 H2o.

B

Offline daj

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: 08:08 PM, 10/01/12 »
  • On Robert's website, re the 260 Imp 30, he says

it incorporates a slightly longer neck
    and,

Chamber accepts factory 260 Rem. brass or ammo for fire forming with no modification.  Load up 260 Remington brass or take 260 Remington factory ammo, stick it in your gun and shoot it - - -

If the factory brass has the neck/shoulder junction further from the case head than that of the improved chamber, how does the factory brass chamber?  Does it get sized shorter when the bolt closes?

Offline BY1983

• Ace Member
    « Reply #20 on: 03:50 AM, 10/02/12 »
  • Correct me if im wrong, but I think the headspace works off the middle of the shoulder.  So standard 260 is steeper angle but longer where this is shorter and sharper shoulder would work.  That would be the only way I can see regular 308 NO GO and GO gauges would work.

Offline daj

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #21 on: 06:57 AM, 10/02/12 »
  • I agree.  The headspace datum must be unchanged from the std 260, 243, 7-08 & 308 etc. for the 308 GO/ NO GO gauges to work,  but the longer neck of the Improved 30 has to come from the shoulder.  Does this forming happen during chambering of the factory brass/ammo?

Offline Raptor

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #22 on: 07:21 AM, 10/02/12 »
  • It would happen when you fire the case, it will then conform to the chamber.

Offline daj

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #23 on: 05:31 PM, 10/02/12 »
  • Raptor, if you superimpose the two case designs on a sheet of paper you will see that a std case will jam in the Imp 30 chamber at the neck shoulder junction.  If you could fire this std case in this position, yes it would conform to the chamber just like forming the 260AI case.  However, the case is too long to fit the chamber without some sizing of the shoulder into a longer neck.

Hopefully Robert will explain how and when the "slightly longer neck" is formed.

Offline rcw3

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #24 on: 05:52 PM, 10/02/12 »
  • If you use true "to scale" drawings you would see how factory 260 Rem brass goes into a 260 Imp 30˚chamber and comes out after firing with a slightly longer neck.  A good picture is worth 1000 words but I don't have scale drawings to illustrate it and I am not game to post 1000 words on this subject although I know it to be correct since I do it every time I pull the trigger on a fire forming round.

Robert

Offline daj

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #25 on: 06:48 PM, 10/02/12 »
  • Thanks Robert.  I didn't doubt for a second that it works as you claim ( I bought your sizing die and ordered a reamer a few weeks ago).  I just could not visualize how you get the longer neck.

Do I need to be more alert for donuts with this design than with the std 260 in Lapua brass?

Offline jcampbellsmith

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
      • My rifles
    « Reply #26 on: 04:23 PM, 10/03/12 »
  • I have the 40º version and have chambered several rifles with it. So far, no complaints. .....

A question, how well do the rounds feed from the magazine/floor plate? Thanks JCS

Offline rcw3

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #27 on: 04:41 PM, 10/03/12 »
  • Thanks Robert.  I didn't doubt for a second that it works as you claim ( I bought your sizing die and ordered a reamer a few weeks ago).  I just could not visualize how you get the longer neck.

Do I need to be more alert for donuts with this design than with the std 260 in Lapua brass?

I have not had issues with donuts with Lapua brass.  Make sure a standard 308 Go Gage goes in the chamber easy (i.e. not a jam fit but not swimming in there either) and have whoever does your barrel then double check things with some new factory Lapua 260 Rem cases and make sure they go in easy (jam fit not necessary - but not swimming in there either).

The fire forming process also tends to pull the neck brass back slightly and pull a potential donut away from the neck/shoulder junction - so that's a good aspect of the forming process.

I also used a .090" radius at the junction of the neck and shoulder to leave a little more clearance there to help avoid potential donut issues (i.e. normal Ackley type chamber has a smaller .060" radius there).

The two barrels I have were done up as noted above and I have not seen any donut issues with using Lapua brass.

Good luck - you're bound to have fun with the cartridge - I sure do - I like it a lot - and the right fire forming loads using factory brass shoot very well and feed superbly too so you don't feel like your just burning up the barrel fire forming brass, you can do some real shooting with it while forming!

Robert

Offline Raptor

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #28 on: 06:03 PM, 10/03/12 »
  • Robert,
      Have you tried preforming a case in the 260 30degree die as you do with the 6SLR and then shooting it in your rifle?? Or is this something you don't want to do??

Just curious if it would be more like shooting a load in a "Formed" case as in the 6SLR. Thanks!!!

Offline BY1983

• Ace Member
    « Reply #29 on: 06:48 PM, 10/03/12 »
  • Again correct me if Im wrong but the 6.5SLR is headspaced differently so that dimension case would be loose in the chamber where as the headspace for a standard 260 wouldnt be.  Honestly, Robert is the one with the experience so if he says load standard 260 and shoot then I reckon he might have it right.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.