Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: German Salazar's 30-06 reloads  (Read 2795 times)

Offline JThorsby

• Trade Count: (+5)
German Salazar's 30-06 reloads
« on: 08:21 PM, 05/30/12 »
  • I just finished the "The Rifleman's Journal" 3 part 30-06 reloading article for accurate reloading. I'm not a target shooter, but I like the 30-06.
    The first rifle I ever shot was my father's Eddystone 30-06 - and I hit what I was shooting at!
    He states in the article that he seats "0.020 into the lands" What does that mean? If it means 20 thousandths out from the lands - How do I find out?
    I have 3 30-06's and I'm looking at getting a very accurate one made - not a target rifle but a very accurate rifle.
    As long as I'm at this questioning - Can I get an accurate rifle on a Winchester (especially a M54) made? or Should I look to remington or  Savage?
    John
    « Last Edit: 07:43 AM, 05/31/12 by Forum Boss »

Offline Nodak7mm

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    • Team Lefse
    German Silva's 30-06 reloads
    « Reply #1 on: 08:37 PM, 05/30/12 »
  • Who is German Silva?  Sounds like an interesting blog..

Rod
    Life is to short for me to take myself too seriously.  I just try to have fun, try to make others smile, laugh at myself daily & really try learn from my mistakes!!  If this sounds way too fou-fou for you, loosen up ya tight a$$!!!

Rod Vigstol,  Fargo ND

Offline watercam

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 08:41 PM, 05/30/12 »
  • German Salazar I believe.
     I have two match rifles based upon Winchester push-feed actions that shoot 1/4 moa with handloads. John Whidden has won recent Long Range Championship titles with Win. actions as well. Definitely can be done!
    watercam

Offline JThorsby

« Reply #3 on: 08:43 PM, 05/30/12 »
  • Yes Salazar - I read the whole thing and still got his name wrong. Silva is a marathon runner......a

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 05:12 AM, 05/31/12 »
  • All references to seating bullets into the lands or with so much jump to them start from ascertaining the cartridge OAL that sees the bullet lightly engaged.

There are several ways of doing this and several proprietary tools on the market, the main ones being from Hornady with its formerly Stoney-Point OAL gauge and Sinclair International with a rod and sliding/locking collars set-up. (look at Sinclair International's website and you can download the instructions for this tool.)

German Salazar does a basic article on using the Hornady tool in the Rifleman's Journal:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/reloading-seating-depth.html

but there is lots of information in this forum and articles to be found off the main page on the subject.

Once you have a setting, it's wise to use callipers with a bullet comparator and appropriate calibre insert in it to measure the COAL from the case-head to the bullet shoulder rather than doing an overall length from case-head to the bullet tip as individual bullets out of the box can vary by several thou' in their lengths.

Generally, bullets are either seated to be well into the lands (OAL + 10, 15, 20 thou' over the lightly engaged reading) or making a 10 thou' or greater jump. This is to avoid the undesirable situation of one bullet marginally 'out' and the next round fired having the bullet marginally 'in' giving a different POI. This occurs because of variations between bullets and small tolerances in loading tools, loading procedures etc.

German surprised me by recommending that tangent ogive Sierras such as the 190gn MK are seated into the rifling as they are famed for their jump tolerance. this practice is more usually associated with secant ogive VLD form bullets that are very fussy about seating depths / jump. I've also see a recommendation on this forum to seat 0.30" Berger Hybrids into the lands in .308 Win match ammo saying it gives excellent results which contradicts Berger's reason for developing the 'Hybrid' - to give VLD level ballistic coefficients while being completely jump-tolerant.

Offline Nodak7mm

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    • Ace Member
    • Team Lefse
    « Reply #5 on: 06:50 AM, 05/31/12 »
  • Yes Salazar - I read the whole thing and still got his name wrong. Silva is a marathon runner......a

;D

Prob the best shooting/reloading blog on the web today, at least that I can find.  Glad you found it, there is lots of great reading to do there.  Yup, German's got a thing for the venerable "ought six" and can back it up on the target too..

Rod
    « Last Edit: 06:57 AM, 05/31/12 by Nodak7mm »
    Life is to short for me to take myself too seriously.  I just try to have fun, try to make others smile, laugh at myself daily & really try learn from my mistakes!!  If this sounds way too fou-fou for you, loosen up ya tight a$$!!!

Rod Vigstol,  Fargo ND

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 08:59 AM, 05/31/12 »
  • Be aware that anything seated either into the lands or with a short jump are rounds that are usually very long and will no longer fit in a mag – if you rifle has one. 

The other thing is these technique are potentially associated with higher chamber pressure so even if you have a load that works with the bullets seated to mag length, you need to back off and start off low again to check for pressure signs…

Offline German Salazar

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
      • Rifleman's Journal
    « Reply #7 on: 09:57 AM, 05/31/12 »
  • John, glad you found the article useful. As Laurie mentioned, the Sierra 190 is very jump tolerant, so you might be happy with the accuracy at a more normal seating depth. My recommendation of 0.020" jam is based on long-range target shooting where little things matter more, but the difference may not be apparent at shorter distances or with a more standard type rifle. Seating depth, ultimately, is just another tuning tool.
    German Salazar
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.riflemansjournal.com

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 01:06 PM, 05/31/12 »
    the Sierra 190 is very jump tolerant, so you might be happy with the accuracy at a more normal seating depth. My recommendation of 0.020" jam is based on long-range target shooting where little things matter more, but the difference may not be apparent at shorter distances or with a more standard type rifle. Seating depth, ultimately, is just another tuning tool.

German,

an interesting observation! I've also found recently that some barrels / chambers give their best (or in the case of a barrel I have on an F/TR rifle right now, only work at all) with bullets seated 'in'. I hadn't previously considered the practice for the SMKs. The other comment I saw elsewhere on the forum recently about seating Hybrids 'well in' made me think too. (So far, no luck with them as the aforementioned barrel just won't shoot them well at all.)

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 03:54 PM, 05/31/12 »
  • I've just noticed on the recently added Bulletin feature on Bruce Duncan's .284 Win heavy gun that he's seating 180gn Bergers so they just 'kiss' too - it's obviously catching!!

Offline German Salazar

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
      • Rifleman's Journal
    « Reply #10 on: 09:33 PM, 05/31/12 »
  • Laurie, I went to the article as a result of your reference to it and also find the seating "just kissing" the lands to be interesting for a successful combination. It speaks highly of Berger's production quality that it's working.

One other point for newer reloaders to keep in mind is that jamming the bullet into the lands raises pressure by 3,000 psi to 5,000 psi over a jump, so loads should be backed down and re-tested when the seating depth is changed from a jump to a jam.
    German Salazar
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.riflemansjournal.com

Offline louielouie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+2)
    « Reply #11 on: 11:44 PM, 06/01/12 »
  • I apologize for hijacking but this was intriguing:

One other point for newer reloaders to keep in mind is that jamming the bullet into the lands raises pressure by 3,000 psi to 5,000 psi over a jump, so loads should be backed down and re-tested when the seating depth is changed from a jump to a jam.

As I recall German, you were using strain gages when initially testing RL-17? Is this 3k to 5k psi pressure jump just from that testing or other testing? I ask because Quick Load recommends +7200 psi for all cartridges which really isn't that far off and probably is safer for those without the gages.

Offline Shynloco

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    • You can lead a horse to water, but ........
    « Reply #12 on: 07:28 AM, 06/02/12 »
  • Can I get an accurate rifle on a Winchester (especially a M54) made? or Should I look to remington or  Savage?
    John

John,
       Lots of neat responses and info by folks in the know.  But to directly respond to the question you posed, I've found that the Savages have remarkable accuracy right out of the box.  I have two of them, (1-6mm Benchrest Model and the other a Model 12 (223) VLP DBM model) both of which I use strictly for Benchrest shooting.  And I shoot and reload strictly for fun and ultimate accuracy.  Both perform extremely well with only bedding done and the trigger adjusted for a light pull.  I know what goes into having a custom rifle made and the expense.  So if you are using the rifle for hunting and not competition, I'd save the money and buy a Savage.   Just my thoughts.

Alex

Offline JThorsby

« Reply #13 on: 07:39 PM, 06/02/12 »
  • Thanks Alex,
     That's what I want to do with it. Real accurate shooting and hunting. I've reloaded all my ammunition for many years
    and decided I could use some of German's techniques; esp. powder, primers, and brass recommendations.
    I don't mind carrying a 10 to 12 pound rifle though.
    It's hard to find a heavy hunting rifle, everyone wants "featherweight'.
    John

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.