Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: polish reloading dies  (Read 1645 times)

Offline carl1575

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • I am still in the car business after 53 years
polish reloading dies
« on: 05:26 PM, 05/25/12 »
  • What is the best way to polish the in side of a reloading sizing die. I have allways received very sage advice on this form. Thanks carl f
    You only live ounce,So do it right! and once is enough.

Offline potatoe

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    polish reloading dies
    « Reply #1 on: 05:38 PM, 05/25/12 »
  • Depending on how dirty they are I use 2 methods.  The first is real simple, a bore mop or Q tip with a cloth and some gun oil.  The second is if the die is more gritty I use 0000 steal wool on a nylon brush and a drill.  I don't hit it hard  just on the trouble spots.  Then I'll wipe it out with a cloth and lighter fluid.  I'll oil it afterwards and dry it out.

Offline scotharr

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+27)
    • Ace Member
    polish reloading dies
    « Reply #2 on: 01:37 AM, 05/26/12 »
  • You can use a chamber flex hone if there is a version for your cartridge or something close.  http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=183
    308, silicon carbide, 800 grit(very fine).  These are about $20 each and you need oil as well.

Offline Shynloco

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    • You can lead a horse to water, but ........
    polish reloading dies
    « Reply #3 on: 07:57 AM, 05/26/12 »
  • What is the best way to polish the in side of a reloading sizing die. I have allways received very sage advice on this form. Thanks carl f

Carl,
       You might consider getting a tube of "Iosso" Gun Bright Polish that Sinclair sells for like $7.95 a tube.  I use it on the outside of all my stainless steel barrels and has sufficient Minuit grit to clean minor discolorations and general wear off stainless steel which most reloading dies are made of these days.  A clean cloth and some minor elbow grease, along with a tooth brush should do the trick.

P.S.  You might even consider calling over to Russ Haydon's Shooters Supply and see if he has any as he's located nearby you in Gig Harbor, (253) 857-7557.  Another possibility is PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you a tube of the stuff to use.
    « Last Edit: 08:04 AM, 05/26/12 by Shynloco »

Offline Bert

• Trade Count: (+1)
    polish reloading dies
    « Reply #4 on: 09:15 AM, 05/26/12 »
  • OK the best way is to mount the die in your drill. You can use a setscrew into the threaded adaptor that holds the decaping rod. Put drill in vise or lay it on its side on the bench.  Take a small wood dowel cut a slot in the end of it with a hacksaw or other thin kerf blade. Take a piece of 800 grit wet dry paper cut a small strip 1/4" wide 1" long wrap it around the dowel rod.   Turn the drill on as fast as it will go take care that the die runs true. You may have to adjust it in the drill chuck to get it to not wobble.  Then take the dowel with paper start at the mouth of the die and slowly work your way in the die using light pressure. You will be able to feel the shoulder of the die and work any areas that need attention.  Look thru the die with a flash light for any areas that are still loaded or ruff.  This should only take a very little bit of time to clean the ID of the die up.  Very important to clean the die with solvent after polishing make sure to get all the grit out.   

Offline carl1575

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • I am still in the car business after 53 years
    polish reloading dies
    « Reply #5 on: 09:48 AM, 05/26/12 »
  • Thanks guys- I used a little of all the methods execpt the hone,they look better than brand new. I have a new set of new unused dies to compare them to carl f
    You only live ounce,So do it right! and once is enough.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.