Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6.5 Super LR  (Read 7540 times)

Offline Nk

• Trade Count: (0)
6.5 Super LR
« on: 04:34 AM, 05/19/12 »
  • Hi, looks like it can be run at the same speed as the 6.5x284, how is the barrel life?  Any real life hands on experience would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline ChrisNZ

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #1 on: 08:25 PM, 05/19/12 »
  • I'd suggest you're better off thinking about variables like brass cost/brass life/ resistance to length growth/mag feeding.. rather than barrel life.

If you're driving the same bullet at the same velocity, you're gonna be within 5% of a identically-performing case design. Not worth considering.

Chris-NZ

Offline Nk

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #2 on: 10:06 PM, 05/19/12 »
  • True that!  Mag length not an issue as I intend to single load, the angle of the brass suggest a better brass growth issue as compare to the likes of 243 or 260. Barrel life is a concern as one might spend a lot of time to arrived at a good load then the barrel go south !  I shoot several 6.5x284 and have to monitor round count so that I am prepare when the rifle suddenly behaved differently, I would have a handle on the situation.  Hence my request for a hands on experience with this round.  Thank you for your advice.

Offline dennisinaz

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #3 on: 09:49 AM, 05/20/12 »
  • It never takes me that long to find a load! Last thing I worry about is barrel life. When they go, get a new one. The same load will probably work

Offline Nk

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #4 on: 09:22 PM, 05/20/12 »
  • Thanks for the advice!  As a side note, if we are lucky, we might get into a good load very quickly but at time when nothing seems to be going right, infinite testing and frustration usually is the part of tuning a new rifle.  A good friend of mine shot over 400 rounds in order to be 100% happy with his loads!  He left no stone unturned !  BTW, that is a 308 caliber so plenty of life left on that barrel.  Also, time off not shooting ( disruption ) while rebarrelling is a pain in the butt! Well, may be 6.5 Super LR is not worth pursuing as there don't seems to be much hands on experience at the moment. 

Offline Rockfish Dave

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #5 on: 01:58 PM, 05/27/12 »
  • After reading this: http://www.6mmar.com/65_SuperLR.php

I am very interested.  If I didn't have a 260 REM already this would be my next barrel.

As for brass availability, from the link posted above:

"Making brass for the 6.5 mm Super LR is very easy, just take new .243 Winchester brass or .260 Remington brass, and properly lube the cases with a lube like Hornady One Shot spray lube, and run the cases in and out of a 6.5mm Super LR full length sizing die, and that’s it – your brass is made! 

Load it, shoot it and have fun!

My favorite base brass for making the 6.5mm Super LR is Winchester brand .243 Winchester brass.  Remington brand .243 Winchester brass or Remington .260 Remington brass works fine as well.

If .243 Winchester brass is used to make the 6.5mm Super LR, you need to lube the inside of the neck in addition to the outside of the case.  I use a Q-tip and spray Hornady One Shot spray lube on the end and use that to lube the inside of the necks of .243 Winchester brass.  The lube inside the neck makes it so the tapered expander ball that comes with the 6.5mm Super LR sizing die will easily and smoothly expand the necks of the .243 Winchester brass up to 6.5 mm.  Once I lube the inside of the necks of the .243 Win. brass, I then lay the brass cases out on a piece of newspaper, side by side, and spray the group with Hornady One Shot spray lube (making sure the neck and shoulder area of the cases is adequately lubed)."

Sounds like availability is a non issue for me.

Offline Nk

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #6 on: 02:13 PM, 05/27/12 »
  • 260 Rem is a good caliber, mine shoots the 130 grainers well.  6.5 x 284 of mine shoots the 140 grainers well.  when I read that the 6.5 Super LR can perform similar to the 6.5 x 284 with the 140 grainers, hence my interest to dig further into this caliber, making direct comparison.  Thank you for all your input, much appreciated.

Offline Rockfish Dave

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #7 on: 05:07 PM, 05/27/12 »
  • Nik,

I started looking at these a few month's ago.  From what I read, the throat erosion was reduced by the longer case neck.  Maybe someone will chime in with more knowledge on the matter and can clarify or correct me in my understanding of the following.

"The 30 degree shoulder angle and the long neck of the 6mm Super LR is another potential benefit of the 6.5 mm Super LR.  Not only does it help to avoid the throat torching effect that people associate with a short neck, but the 30 degree shoulder angle has also been a hallmark of some very accurate cartridges (6 PPC, 6 BR, 6XC, 6.5 x 47 Lapua, etc.)."

The longer barrel life, available brass (I have a ton of 243win lapua brass), accuracy and higher velocities really have me wanting to get a barrel spun up in 6.5slr. 

The only thing stopping me is I have an outstanding 260REM Bartlien barrel already spun up that is a proven shooter, so I just cannot justify the cost and gunsmith hassles of getting a new barrel right now.  When this one is toast, I'll just transition everything over to the 6.5slr.

Offline TonyR

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #8 on: 07:43 PM, 05/27/12 »
  • Would a 6.5SLR reamer clean up a 6.5X47 chamber??  The case is longer and it might cleanup the throat as well and extend the life of the barrel without having to set it back.
    TonyR

Consistent long range accuracy is the sum of many things, some large and some small.

Offline 1shot

• Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #9 on: 08:04 PM, 05/27/12 »
  • If anyone wants to drop the $150.00 that JGS want for a reamer not to mention the 18 week turn around time, myself and my partner would gladly help defray the costs of it.
    Lloyd
    Everything after the first shot is just practice.

Offline 260Ackley

• Trade Count: (+9)
      • My Youtube Channel
    6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #10 on: 11:53 AM, 08/07/12 »
  • ..here is my 6.5x61Super, not the same as in the 6mmBR article, my gunsmith helped me on this one!!

I have since put the action back into my Richard's Microfit Lammy Stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyhTWj6HEHE&list=UUqYhWJBYUFC6W3NRR-g5b7g&index=8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXnPk6Ftmo
    260AI, Mauser 98, Vortex PST 6-24X50 FFP
    6PDK [6x6.8SPC], AR15, Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 SFP
    22-250AI, Mauser 98, Vortex PST 4-16X50 SFP

Offline Cort

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+41)
    • Ace Member
    6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #11 on: 04:53 PM, 08/07/12 »
  • Did you look at the 260 improved 30?  It looks like the same performance and an easier case to create.  There appears to be no potential for a donut in the neck created by resizing the neck.  You can also shoot 260 factory loads through the chamber.

http://www.6mmar.com/260_Imp_30_.php

Cort

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+50)
    • Ace Member
    6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #12 on: 11:27 AM, 08/09/12 »
  • The SLR has a longer neck compaired to the 30 improved.

Offline Rockfish Dave

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #13 on: 08:35 AM, 10/26/12 »
  • Ordered a carbide Reamer, Go and No-Go Gauges this week. 

I choose the 6.5 Super LR/S to run VLD's easily in AICS magazines and give me some flexibility in chasing the lands...

http://www.6mmar.com/65_SuperLR.php

From the website:

"For the 6.5mm Super LR/S Reamer above (i.e. with the .055" free bore, is throated for magazine feeding many of the 139-142 gr 6.5 mm bullets) the following bullet measurements were made to show at what OAL the noted bullets hit the lands:

Sierra 142 gr. MatchKing - 2.845" OAL
    Berger 140 gr. LRBT - 2.838" OAL
    Lapua 139 gr. Scenar - 2.808" OAL"

Offline Rockfish Dave

6.5 Super LR
    « Reply #14 on: 09:18 AM, 10/26/12 »

•  

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.