Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 1-12 vs 1-14 twist rate in .223 using 50gr to 40gr bullets  (Read 2768 times)

Offline dan2116

• Trade Count: (+6)
I am getting a new barrel put on a Remington 700 action in .223 and am torn between twist rate. Will be shooting H335 powder with exclusively 50gr Sierra BlitzKing and maybe 40gr B/K bullets. Smith recommended 1-14 . I have an older Rem. 700 .223 with 1-12 that performs very well .Is 1-14 better than 1-12 with this bullet weight and caliber. Would a bit faster twist better in wind conditions ?

Offline Greg110

• Trade Count: (+1)
You "might" be able to get more speed from the 14 twist, but the 12 twist will be able to handle bullets heavier than 55 grains.

Offline dan2116

• Trade Count: (+6)
With the 50gr bullet I will be using is there a appreciable difference in accuracy between a 14 twist vs a 12 ?

Offline mikecr

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ace Member
I think the 50Bk will shoot better from a 223 in 12tw.
14tw provides marginal stability with it, at best.

My accuracy suffered using the 50Bk from a Cooper in 223(14tw). Well, it shot good, but not as good as the gun was capable of. I switched to a flatbase 50gr bullet and groups cut by 1/3 immediately. I know this is anecdotal, but there is nothing wrong with Bks, and 12tw wouldn't hurt.

Offline KEYBEAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
  I have two rifles set up with barrels with 1-14 twist both 223,s  both shoot in the 2,s or better with 52 up to 68gr. bullets .  I never shot anything bigger than 68gr. as that is as big as I have .    I really like the 1-14 but a 1-12 would not do any different .  If your going to shot bullets in the 52/53 area 1-14 works very well .

Offline Otter

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ace Member
If I was sure I would only use up to 50 grain bullets, I would probably opt for the 14 twist.  In theory, all other factors being equal, it should be slightly more accurate, and produce slightly faster velocity.  Cooper uses a 14 twist for a good reason and that is accuracy, although as Mike posted that isn't always the case.

But I would still go with a 12 twist.  I like to leave my options open in case I can only get 55 grain bullets, I know I could shoot them as well.

Offline mikecr

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ace Member
Under twist is often worse than over twist.
And, you can't go only by bullet weights when deciding on twist.
A 223 won't torque much in either twist, and there are no 22cal bullets that would be considered over-spun from 12tw @ 223 velocities.
IMO, 12tw should be the standard twist for the 223.

My Cooper shot under 1/2moa with 50 blitzKings. It shoots 1/4moa with 50 Jayners, which are very similar(I didn't even have to change seating or load).
By my calcs the Sg of 50BKs @ 14tw/3500fps, Sea Level & 75deg is 1.17 (marginal). Possibly at higher altitudes the Blitzkings would have shot better..
So same conditions with the 50 FB Jayners  Sg = 1.34 (better)
If this barrel was 12tw, SL/75deg conditions, Sg would be 1.60/1.82 (which wouldn't hurt a thing).

Cooper does go under-twist with their barrels pretty much across the board.
But it's my contention this is more of a pain than a gain. I also shoot way further than cooper's test groups, and outdoors..

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.