Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Impact of Barrel Length on Powder Charge and Speed  (Read 1009 times)

Offline MVW

• Trade Count: (+3)
Gents: As a practical matter I understand many of the signs of over pressure - case expansion at the web, primer flattening and the sort.  That said, I'd like to understand what I can expect from a 30" barrel.

In looking three sources of load data for Varget behind a 175 GN bullets, I find the following reload data:

Sierra 5th edition gives 36.3 - 41.7 (speeds 2,200 - 2,500)
Hodgdon gives 42.0 to 45.0 (speeds 2,583 - 2,690)
Lyman gives 40.0 to 45.2 (speeds 2,459 - 2,708)     

This is quite a spread in charge recommendations and speeds and in fact the top end for the Sierra book doesn't even reach the bottom of the Hodgdon range.

I assume some of this due to variations in barrel length, primers, and brass, but still it is a lot.

I have loaded 44 GN of Varget and reach speeds of ~2,750, which is rather greater than any of the above.  However, again without significant pressure signs.  45 GN would really be flying.

Can anyone explain to me what is going on with the reloads and how the 30" barrel factors into my reloading.  Do I need to get a copy of QuickLoad to sort this out?

With gun powder I am conservative.  I don't mind working near max, but I want to make sure there are not any surprizes lurking. 

Thanks,  Mike

Offline MTM

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Ace Member
Impact of Barrel Length on Powder Charge and Speed
« Reply #1 on: 08:58 AM, 04/26/12 »
  • Every rifle (and pressure barrel) is different. Load data is for reference - you load what shoots in your rifle. Bear in mind that ambient temps. are a big factor. Loads worked up in the winter may be over pressure in the summer. As far as velocity, add roughly 25 fps per inch of barrel length. Should work out up to 30"-32" barrel length. With the .308 the velocity advantages fall off a bit much longer than that. However, if you are shooting irons the extra sight radius is always helpful. Bear in mind that the weight of your rig will increase. If you are concerned about shooting at 1000 yds. with what you have you should be fine with 175s @ 2750 fps..
    Best of luck!
    « Last Edit: 09:01 AM, 04/26/12 by watercam »
    watercam

Offline bayou shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    • F-TR competitor
    « Reply #2 on: 10:54 AM, 04/26/12 »
  • MVW;  I use Varget exclusively for my match rifles.  My F-T/R rig in .308 sports a 32 inch barrel and I use 180gr bullets.

I trust the powder manufacturer's data over any bullet manufacturer's data.  Hodgdon has a pretty extensive website and the range you provided is indeed the one I used during load development.   Since the powder is not the product of the bullet manufacturers, they have to be extremely conservative with their max loads;  they do not have any control over the product so they may be out of date.  Hodgdon even has loads listed on their canisters.  When I get my brace of kegs, I check to make sure it has not changed.  By contrast, if I want to know what a bullet will do at the target, I will not ask the powder manufacturer for that information.

My load is slightly under Hodgdon's max and my muzzle velocity is around 2850FPS.   This is the reason I have long barrels, because I want as much muzzle velocity without having to go into overmax loads.  The longer barrel allows the hot pressurized gases to accelerate the bullet further.  As long as the pressure behind the bullet exceeds the resistance of the barrel, the bullet will accelerate and in a .308 it would require several feet of barrel length before the pressure behind the bullet falls below the resistance of the bullet through the barrel.
    Denys Beauchemin - Spring, TX

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the weaponry to make a difference.

Online Busdriver

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+17)
    • Ace Member
    • 308 - 6 Dasher - Straight 284, Love 'em
    « Reply #3 on: 06:49 PM, 04/26/12 »
  • Sierra data is with Federal brass.
    Hodgdon uses Winchester.

Both are correct for their respective cases. Winchester simply holds more powder and makes less initial pressure. Also remember that seating depth will make huge changes in pressure and velocity for a given charge.

With Win brass, a 175 comes out of a 30" barrel at ~2800-2825 with a good hot load of Varget. I like ~44.5-44.7 grains of Varget in that case. It makes something just shy of 2800 in my barrel. (it was only 2650 or so when the barrel was new - it sped up).

What I have found is that the barrel length makes a little more difference in speed with lighter bullets than heavies. 155's speed up 100 fps for 4" but 200's only get a 50 fps speed up.

You will have to work up your loads no matter what your barrel length. If you are using Lapua brass, the best advice I've heard is to reduce the charges by half a grain from Winchester. If that holds true, you might find a node anywhere between 44 and 45 grains. The velocity doesn't matter so long as it is at least 2600.
    When's the next match?

Offline XTR

• Ace Member
      • Onlinehumidor
    « Reply #4 on: 07:20 PM, 04/26/12 »
  • When I went from a Rock Creek 24" to a Krieger 30" I gained about 50 FPS with the heavies.

In WW brass I could run more but I hit a node in the 44.0 to 44.5 range so I load 44.4 and let it ride. 

My 175SMKs are about 2780 and my 185 LRBTs are about 2740.

Offline MVW

« Reply #5 on: 08:36 PM, 04/26/12 »
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  This is helpful.  Yes I am using Lapua brass now.  I did notice that things run a little hotter than with WIN brass, which I assumed was because of the smaller case volume on the Lapua.

Mike

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.