Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .308 Win Chamber info  (Read 2764 times)

Offline gsg5pk

• Trade Count: (0)
.308 Win Chamber info
« on: 03:30 AM, 04/16/12 »
  • Could anyone suggest how to determine the chamber info of my rifle?

Rifle : Les Baer Tactical Recon (Special Order)
    Info : RH Stiller Tac-30 , ADL T/G, .308, Heavy Barrel 1.240”x 3” Straight Taper to .930 Muzzle @24” Barrel B/C, Recoil Lug 0.30” thick

When ordering, they do not available any option for choosing Chamber Size. They just mention " chambered using reamers from Pacific Tool & Gauge. Dave Kiff, PT&G’s owner, is widely recognized as an expert in chamber and reamer design and he specially designed the reamers to meet two design objectives. First, the chambers had to be conducive to maximum accuracy. But just as importantly, each chamber had to accept all military and commercial ammunition—a capability particularly important in the .308 Win./7.62x51 mm NATO. "

The guarantee group was 10 shots within 1/2" MOA by factory match ammunition (FGM 168).

So, how can I know the chamber spec (Chamber type & Freebore)?

Offline Rtheurer

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #1 on: 05:58 AM, 04/16/12 »
  • A call to les bear and ask if they will give you the reamer print # or name.

You can then call or email PTG and request that print via a PDF file to your email.

RussT
    XTC, Long Range Prone, Midrange Prone, shooting junkie.

Offline gsg5pk

.308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #2 on: 12:03 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • A call to les bear and ask if they will give you the reamer print # or name.

You can then call or email PTG and request that print via a PDF file to your email.

RussT

I had sent an e-mail to request info from both of them but nothing reply.

I do not live in USA. So, not comfortable to call them.

I had measure my fired brass with Dial caliper , RCBS Precision MIC .308 win and got these info ;
    Neck Diameter : .342"
    Based to Datumm : +0.001" from minimum SAAMI

Offline LESLEY

• Trade Count: (+9)
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #3 on: 02:24 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • The big question is can you shoot good enough to tell the difference. I have had several shooters tell me their custom gun wont shoot. It was not the gun it was them. When you can shoot good enough to tell the difference in chambers you wont have to ask this question

Offline rminut

• Trade Count: (+4)
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #4 on: 03:34 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • If you take a measurement of a Sierra 2156 to the lands we might be able to give a guess but it would just be a guess. I'm sure it's one of the more common reamers like Palma'95 or M852, the popular reamers are popular for a reason.

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #5 on: 09:46 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • If you take a measurement of a Sierra 2156 to the lands we might be able to give a guess but it would just be a guess. I'm sure it's one of the more common reamers like Palma'95 or M852, the popular reamers are popular for a reason.

I agree, and one more chamber it could be is the "Bisley Palma 150"

Lesley also makes a good point, would you be able to notice the difference, do you measure each bullet type to the lands for you reference/datum point?

I will brag for a moment here and say I build very nice and highly accurate 1/4 moa rifles for myself, that is when I shoot them, the bullet  may not have the same 1/4 moa with you shooting. this does not mean your a bad shot. This means i build to suite, I pick the chamber and re throat if need be, also making any other changes or adjustments as I see fit.

Also like Lesley stated, if you can shot 1/4 moa why does it matter what chamber it is. Is there a particular reason? In most cases it doesn't matter what the chamber is if your loading to it to began with.

Measure a Sierra 155gr Palma to the lands, 2.256 is the magic number, then email me I'll let you know what I believe it to be.
    "From my Cold Dead Hands"
    Charlton Heston

Offline Busdriver

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+17)
    • Ace Member
    • 308 - 6 Dasher - Straight 284, Love 'em
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #6 on: 11:01 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • If you don't have the palma bullet, a 175 SMK is something I have data for, and I can help you.

I have two chambers cut with the same reamer. They are slightly different. One is a touch larger in headspace and larger at the base, but both shoot about the same with the same loads. I don't give much credence to chamber dimensions in accuracy. If you can get the bullet into the lands, and have a reasonable amount still in the neck, the rest is rather moot if it shoots. There are just too many other variables to be able to pick out any real differences between chamber specs.

You could also cast the chamber with cerrosafe. There is an article in the bulletin about how to do it. That would tell you more than the reamer print would.
    When's the next match?

Offline gsg5pk

.308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #7 on: 05:02 AM, 04/17/12 »
  • The big question is can you shoot good enough to tell the difference. I have had several shooters tell me their custom gun wont shoot. It was not the gun it was them. When you can shoot good enough to tell the difference in chambers you wont have to ask this question

I'm just a beginner for Long Range Shooting in .308 win and new for reloading due to limited of factory ammunition available at here. There are only FMMG 168 gr. and old surplus of M118LR (10 years up). Then, these ammunition are not proper for shooting 600 and 800 yards.

The reason that I ask for chamber size & freebore because I want to get info for reference of choosing heavier Bullet and when re-barrel my 700 XCR with Krieger Barrel.

Offline gsg5pk

.308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #8 on: 05:13 AM, 04/17/12 »
  • My current loading .308 winchester info for 800 yards ;

Brass : Lapua Brass (Trim to 2.005")
    Neck thickess : .015"
    Neck Sizing : .336
    Neck Tension : .002"
    Bullet : Berger 175 LRBT
    Primer : CCI BR2
    Powder : 43.5 gr. of Varget
    Seat Depth : COAL 2.810"

AVG MV ; 2,648 fps.
    SD ; 6.9

Offline 300 RUM

• Site $$ Contributor
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #9 on: 07:16 AM, 04/17/12 »

AVG MV ; 2,648 fps.
    SD ; 6.9
    The larger statement is are you hitting the paper at 800 where you want to?
    "From my Cold Dead Hands"
    Charlton Heston

Online coreydelong

• Trade Count: (+10)
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #10 on: 01:27 AM, 04/18/12 »
  • The only significant reason I see to keeping the chamber size to a "reasonable" size is to minimize how much you have to work the necks when re-sizing.

I've had a few stock factory barrels that required necking down in two steps just to get enough neck tension back to hold the bullet. With a no turn neck of 0.336" I've had .308's with chambers up to 0.345" and they size right down in one step no problems. You start turning necks and get 0.015" of chamber clearance and you'll be sorry. Your necks will expand against that chamber wall and you'll be neck sizing in two steps to get neck tension back.

The best thing to do IMHO is call PTG and ask what reamer they supplied Les Baer with. Order the same spec reamer from them and you'll have it forever so anyone can chamber your barrels in the future.
    « Last Edit: 01:33 AM, 04/18/12 by coreydelong »

Offline ar15topgun

• Trade Count: (+15)
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #11 on: 06:05 AM, 04/18/12 »

AVG MV ; 2,648 fps.
    SD ; 6.9
    How much freebore do you have and what is your OAL to ogive with how much off the lands?

Offline XTR

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
      • Onlinehumidor
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #12 on: 08:53 AM, 04/21/12 »
  • Why does it really matter which chamber you have?  Load for the way it's chambered and shoot it.

Get an ogive comparator, or make one yourself and figure out how far it is to the lands for the bullet that you are loading.

Mic some of your fire brass and see what the neck is, I'll bet you have a .342 neck, unless someone specifies something tighter that's how  they are typically cut.

Those are really the only data points you need with regard to the chamber, and the only one you are going to use on a regular basis is the ogive measurement, and that will change as you erode the throat.

If you are one of those guys who just has to know get some cerrosafe and make a casting and mic it to your hearts desire.

Online coreydelong

• Trade Count: (+10)
    .308 Win Chamber info
    « Reply #13 on: 08:45 PM, 04/21/12 »
  • I've measured a fired case and added 0.001".

A telescoping micrometer (some call them expanding ball mic's) work really well to measure the chamber neck. A 0.200"- 0.300" and a 0.300"- 0.400" are all you'll likely need.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.