Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 223AI  (Read 4143 times)

Offline skeetlee

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+105)
  • Ace Member
223AI
« on: 05:56 AM, 04/13/12 »
  • Can some one share there likes and dislikes about the 223AI case?  Also will someone post a pic of a fireformed 223AI lying next to a standard 223 case please? I would like to see the difference between the two. thanks again. Lee
    Live Long And Shoot Often!!

Offline ReedG

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #1 on: 07:10 AM, 04/13/12 »
  • Lee, there's a good photo in the cartridge guide on this site (http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/). I love the AI case (in any caliber) because the sharper shoulder angle and straighter sidewall really minimizes the case stretching. There is a small gain (about 5-6%) in capacity and, besides that, the AI cases look "right". I wish all cartridge designers would have done it to begin with.
    Reed Garfield

Offline WillinDenver

• Trade Count: (+1)
    223AI
    « Reply #2 on: 09:24 AM, 04/13/12 »
  • I'm with ReedG, I like the AI's.  I've had and still do have several AI's.

22 KHornet, 223 AI, 22-250 AI, 22 Wamps Kitty (243 necked to 22 cal), 220 Swift AI, 22-308 and others long gone.  The biggest thing with the AI's, CASE LIFE.  Most all you have to do is put a parent case round in and shoot a prairie dog and you have the AI.  I anneal the cases after fire forming to AI and have had cases last for over 30 firings.  Brass just cost to much now days.

The biggest thing I don't do is load HOT LOADS.  I stay a grain or two under the max.  The biggest reason I use AI's is CASE LIFE.

Will

Offline tooter

• Trade Count: (+5)
    223AI
    « Reply #3 on: 08:00 AM, 04/14/12 »
  • Ditto on the above commentary.

I have a 223 AI (40 degree) Krieger barrel, chambered/throated (Kiff reamer) to shoot 69 gr. SMKs for my BAT three lug, switch barrel HV rig. Also have a 6.5 x 47 AI Bartlein for the same setup.

Brass life is exceptional for both cartridges using Lapua and Norma cases. Initially I COW fireform, then anneal after first full pressure load, followed thereafter every five times fired. To some, the COW will sound redundant, but, I just think it's easier on "work hardening" the shoulders.

Like Will, I stay away from full-house loads. I have no dislikes to share -------

Tooter

Offline Ackman

• Trade Count: (-2)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #4 on: 12:48 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • There've been countless threads about the 223AI on every forum, including this one. And pictures.

Offline 40X Guy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+186)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #5 on: 02:30 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • Lee, heres a pic with Lapua brass, standard and fireformed (twice fired). My rifle is an 8 twist Brux barrel on a 40X chassis and I am in the midst of load development using 75 A-Max.  As already said, barrel life should be very good and they are tackdrivers. No recoil whatsoever and i can see my hits on the paper. I built mine for casual paper punching, varmint hunting and shortrange GH matches.

Frank

Offline alf

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #6 on: 04:53 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • Skip the Ackley and build a 22-204......

Offline areaone

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #7 on: 05:51 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • what is the advantage over a 223 AI.

Offline alf

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #8 on: 06:47 PM, 04/16/12 »
  • Neck it up to 22 and go shooting....no fireforming needed.

Offline joemax

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    223AI
    « Reply #9 on: 01:08 AM, 04/26/12 »
  • +1 what alf said. I have a 223ai and like it. I dislike fire forming the brass though. You get a little more capacity from the 22-204.

Offline WillinDenver

223AI
    « Reply #10 on: 08:36 AM, 04/26/12 »
  • Dealing with 204 brass you'll spend top money.  I go to the gun shows a lot and used 204 brass is non-extent, new brass is top dollar.  I bought 1,000 223 R-P cases for $70 to do my 6 x45.  I paid $45 dollars for the military cases to do my 20 Practical.  I'm a retired GI and don't have a lot of money, I need to keep the cost down where I can so I can go pd shooting 15 or 20 times this year. 

If you have the money, why not I guess!!!

Will

Offline lpreddick

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #11 on: 09:00 AM, 04/26/12 »
  • i love mine.  kreiger 14 tw and will cloverleaf and sometimes one hole shooting 52 fowlers jumped .015-.020 thous over 28 gr 8208, lapua match, ccibr primers.  3500+ fps and no pressure signs.  i  was concerned about 28 gr 8208 since it fills case to neck, but worked up slowly from 27 gr.( ?no or slight secondary pressure spike, if you believe such exist...i do)   26 gr of 8208 in my 223 les baer ar does the same.  great powder for this case!!  have over 700 rounds and my borescop reveals an almost virgin throat. don't shoot competition since i'm a varmint hunter and this cartridge has almost replaced my 22-250, which will eat a barrel in time. 
    if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!

Offline Bradley Walker

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #12 on: 01:36 PM, 05/20/12 »
  • i love mine.  kreiger 14 tw and will cloverleaf and sometimes one hole shooting 52 fowlers jumped .015-.020 thous over 28 gr 8208, lapua match, ccibr primers.  3500+ fps and no pressure signs.  i  was concerned about 28 gr 8208 since it fills case to neck, but worked up slowly from 27 gr.( ?no or slight secondary pressure spike, if you believe such exist...i do)   26 gr of 8208 in my 223 les baer ar does the same.  great powder for this case!!  have over 700 rounds and my borescop reveals an almost virgin throat. don't shoot competition since i'm a varmint hunter and this cartridge has almost replaced my 22-250, which will eat a barrel in time.

I am also shooting the Fowlers jumped .020.  I am shooting 28.5 grain of pull down R-15 at the moment and it is wonderful.  I also have 8208.  I will have to try this too.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ace Member
    223AI
    « Reply #13 on: 01:41 PM, 05/20/12 »
  • The reason I shoot 223 Ackley is because it has amazing performance even if you never shoot fire formed loads ever and it's cheap to load so you can shoot more, talk less...

Offline STS

223AI
    « Reply #14 on: 08:04 AM, 05/25/12 »
  • Skip the Ackley and build a 22-204......
      Winner

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.