Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Any one load IMR-4064 for 308?  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Onereddawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Any one load IMR-4064 for 308?
« on: 11:31 AM, 04/10/12 »
  • First time i'm using this powder. At the starting grain of 45, the powder is right up into the neck. Is this right for this powder?

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 11:40 AM, 04/10/12 »
  • For what bullet weight is 45 grains a starting load?
    Sleepygator

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 11:53 AM, 04/10/12 »
  • 45 gr is max on 150's and if the case is unfired it could be situation of unfired case, i never do or suggest a starting load of max, as you do not knowwhant you chamber/ bbl combo will do,

if you are using 150, start lower.
    if heaver dont,
    if lighter, back off 1 or two and try it as you may have a tight chamber.

Bob

Offline Onereddawg

• Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 12:02 PM, 04/10/12 »
  • Starting weight is 45 grains for the hornady 110 grain v-max at 2850fps. The chamber is not an issue its the amount of powder in the brass. The powder rises up into the neck of the brass. Is this correct for the amount of powder?

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 12:13 PM, 04/10/12 »
  • What is the brass? (i.e.: Winchester, Lapua, etc.) Has it been fired or is it new?

In my once-fired Winchester brass which has a capacity of 57.50, 45.0 grains should be at approximately the case-shoulder junction. If you drop it with a 6" drop tube, you can probably get a little better density.
    « Last Edit: 12:18 PM, 04/10/12 by sleepygator »
    Sleepygator

Offline bheadboy

• Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 03:13 PM, 04/10/12 »
  • if the brass is unfired, it should expand to the chamber when fired and this will become less of a problemas the 45gr with a 110 is a modest load.

if brass has been fired in this chamber, then you have a chamber/brass combination that is on the smaller side, thus you may need to consider less 4064 or less bulky powder and most likely all loads will need to be on thelow side of "book"

Bob

Offline boogershooter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+15)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 04:44 PM, 04/10/12 »
  • I have had some good results with 4064 and 155 SMK, 168's and 175 SMK's in a 12 twist.
    To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth, This was the law of ancient youth- Old times past, Old days done. But the law runs true O little son!

Offline Dans40X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 06:41 PM, 04/10/12 »
  • I've pushed 20,000+ out of a few 7.62 & 308 Win 1:10"-1:13" twist chambered barrels w/155's & 47.0gr of Dupont/IMR 4064 in Rem URBR cases.
    With Hodgdon/IMR  powders I get lower velocities than the tried & trued Dupont/IMR powders.
    Keep'em in the X ring...
    DAN
    www.ACCU-TIG.com

Offline lloydx2

« Reply #8 on: 07:12 PM, 04/10/12 »
  • Dan What about 42Grs with the old 190MK. I was right you are an ex highpower shooter?

Offline Dans40X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 09:01 PM, 04/10/12 »
  • lloydx2,
    Lots of variables?
    Give the 190's a shot w/ 4064.
    I've launched numerous boxes of 190SMK's from 600 to 1000yds.

I run Rem URBR brass exclusively!
    Better consistency than Lapua of early or late, hands down.
    Keep'em in the X ring...
    DAN
    www.ACCU-TIG.com

Offline coreydelong

• Trade Count: (+10)
    « Reply #10 on: 07:48 PM, 04/11/12 »
  • Depends a lot on the cases. There is a lot of capacity difference between a 155g Winchester case and a 177g FC or Lapua case. For the money Winchester cases work just fine in a .308 for 1/4 the cost of Lapua brass.

I mostly use 155 Scenars and 168 SMK's and use 44.0-45.0g in a Winchester or RP case... RP cases are 165g. The same load in a FC case and you will start popping primers.

Offline Charlie Watson

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    • F-Class T/R
    « Reply #11 on: 10:12 PM, 04/11/12 »
  • 4064 is a great powder for 168 SMK's, but heavier bullets do better with Varget, RL-15, or H4895.
    US Army Vietnam 1969-70
    F-Class T/R Master

Offline MrMajestic

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 03:17 PM, 04/12/12 »
  • From the Cartridge Guide in the "Articles" section-
    Choosing the Right Powder and Load Testing
    For the 160-175 grain boattails used by the majority of .308 shooters, you want a powder of medium burn rate that gives close to 100% load density. The “classic” .308 load for 168gr SMKs is IMR 4064 with Federal primers. However, these days Varget is probably slightly more popular. Lot variance has frustrated Varget users, however. Jerry Tierney has had to tweak his .308 Palma Varget load up to two full grains to maintain optimal velocity. Tech Note: If you use QuickLOAD, we suggest you select data for ADI 2208 rather than Hodgdon Varget. This, we’ve found, will give more realistic numbers.
    "That which does not destroy me, has made a huge tactical error"

Offline newgun

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: 11:18 PM, 04/13/12 »
  • I used a lot of it in my 1-10 twist but I have to say it did better with the lighter bullets. It was a lower cost powder and worked great for me. But I don't load for the 308 much these days.

Offline thefitter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 01:05 PM, 04/21/12 »
  • My loads for the 110 V MAX are all the way to the rim (50gr) in Varget or 8208. Just crunch it down you will be fine.  FYI I crimp these.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.