Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Varget and Nosler 60 gr  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Jim747

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
Varget and Nosler 60 gr
« on: 10:23 PM, 04/01/12 »
  • I'm just starting to load my own and came home with Varget powder and 55 gr ballistic tip Noslers. I wanted to try something a little heavier so I also bought some Nosler 60 gr ballistics but I can't find any load information for that combination.

Is anyone using Varget and Nosler 60 gr ballistic tip bullets? I suppose I can them back and get Hornaday VMAX 60gr.  I'm shooting Savage with a 1/9 twist. Any suggestions whould be appreciated.

Offline Otter

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #1 on: 11:06 PM, 04/01/12 »
  • You didn't state the specific caliber of your rifle.  What I would do is use the data off the Nosler website for their 60 grain Partition bullet.  Start at the low recommended charge and work up to high watching for pressure signs.

Offline gambleone

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #2 on: 11:32 PM, 04/01/12 »
  • 1/9 twist is popular in the 22-250. This the caliber you have?

Offline rain164845

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+8)
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #3 on: 06:15 AM, 04/02/12 »
  • I was shooting them and having great results until I got a bad batch.  They would not load with less than 5 thousandths of runout and are all over the paper.  In the same batch I loaded 5 sierra matchkings and they were all under .002. 
    Back to the point, I THINK I was using 26 grains of Varget.  Please check hodgdon.com before loading. 
    This was in a bolt gun.

Offline Jim747

• Basic Member
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #4 on: 06:55 AM, 04/02/12 »
  • You didn't state the specific caliber of your rifle.  What I would do is use the data off the Nosler website for their 60 grain Partition bullet.  Start at the low recommended charge and work up to high watching for pressure signs.

OOPS...it's .223

I was thinking about doing exactly what you suggested and using the Partition recommendations but hoped someone had used that combination. I have checked both the Nosler and Hogdon sites - neither lists Nosler 60gr ballistic tips with Varget so I think I'll just take them back and get the Hornaday VMAX. 

Thanks to everyone for the response.
    « Last Edit: 07:08 AM, 04/02/12 by Jim747 »

Offline Otter

• Ace Member
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #5 on: 12:36 PM, 04/02/12 »
  • I wouldn't take them back myself because I've always had better luck with Nosler bullets than Hornaday.  As long as you start low and work up you shouldn't have a problem.  I would bet if Nosler did have data for the 60 grain ballistic tip, max load would be about 1 grain less than the 55 grain bullet.

I would also go buy the V-max bullets too.....you never know until you try them which will be more accurate.  If you are after explosive bullets, I've found the V-max to be very satisfying.

Offline pdhntr

• Site $$ Contributor
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #6 on: 02:01 PM, 04/02/12 »
  • Hi Jim,

There is a pet load that is very popular for ARs with 9 twist barrels that is the 60 gr. V-max and 25.5 gr. of Varget. 

I have been shooting it for years, and its popularity has spread to other guys I shoot with.  I have used it in bolt guns also, and it seems to be just an all around accurate combination. 

When you shoot the Noslers up, you might want to try these.

Jim
    The Trooper at the window asked me,"Why are you towing a frozen dead cow down a state hiway behind your pickup?"  "Uhmmm, uhmmm, trolling for coyotes sir"

Offline Jim747

• Basic Member
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #7 on: 09:34 PM, 04/02/12 »
  • Thanks everyone for your help. I'm heading to Wyoming late summer for some PD hunting. Most of my varmint hunting has been groundhog/woodchucks in Ohio. They are a lot bigger target and seldom over 250 yards in my area so PD's at 300 to 400 yds are going to be a test.

My hunting buddy who lives in Wyoming told me to bring 1000 or more rounds so I thought this would be a great time to invest in loading equipment. So here I go...the learning begins.

I have a few months to hone my loading skills and try to figure out what loads my rifles like. I have a couple .223's and I hope I can find a load they both like.

Thanks again.

Jim

Offline DennisH

• Site $$ Sponsor
    • Trade Count: (+29)
    • Ace Member
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #8 on: 04:41 AM, 04/03/12 »
  • Stick with the 55 nbt's

And maybe the 53 A-Max's

I have tried them all in my 9 twist 223, you will like the above the best!

You can play around with 40's, but there a PITA loading!
    Dennis Haffner

Offline Dan Hall

• Trade Count: (+5)
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #9 on: 08:07 AM, 04/03/12 »
  • Try the new 53 gr V Max bullets. They are great for stretching out the distance in the 223. Try 26.0 grs Benchmark with them in your 1-9 twist. Also the 50 Gr V Max and 26.5 grs. Benchmark powder. I have found Benchmark powder to work great in my 223s, both ARs and bolt guns. It seems to not be effected by temps. very much and that's important out on the prairie dog fields. By the way...these loads are safe in my gun but you may want to work up to them in any other gun. Good luck PD shooting.

Offline necchi

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #10 on: 05:24 PM, 04/03/12 »
  • Another vote for the 55grn Nolser,
    You'll have better velocity with the 55grn, esp in the 223 with that small case.

The only gain with the 60-65grn is a little better wind drift but it's really a small gain when compared to the loss in velocity, thus trajectory drop,,,

That Nolser BT does the job just fine on Groundhogs, Coyote and other vermin in the 5-40 pound range  ;)

The V-Max and Ballistic tip in the 224 sizes is really a horse apeice, I'm a Nosler fan just because I've used'm in 3 guns and they work just fine. I've gone through several boxes with different lot#s and have found little to no difference in preformance or loading properties.

I've tried the 60grn Nolser Hollow point and wasn't impressed with the velocity even when maxed out in my gun, so back to the 55's.
    « Last Edit: 05:27 PM, 04/03/12 by necchi »

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+184)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #11 on: 05:10 PM, 04/05/12 »
  • Another vote for the 55grn Nolser,
    You'll have better velocity with the 55grn, esp in the 223 with that small case.

The only gain with the 60-65grn is a little better wind drift but it's really a small gain when compared to the loss in velocity, thus trajectory drop,,,

That Nolser BT does the job just fine on Groundhogs, Coyote and other vermin in the 5-40 pound range  ;)

The V-Max and Ballistic tip in the 224 sizes is really a horse apeice, I'm a Nosler fan just because I've used'm in 3 guns and they work just fine. I've gone through several boxes with different lot#s and have found little to no difference in preformance or loading properties.

I've tried the 60grn Nolser Hollow point and wasn't impressed with the velocity even when maxed out in my gun, so back to the 55's.

What is a horse a piece mean?  You got me on that one.LOL
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Offline necchi

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #12 on: 09:21 PM, 04/05/12 »
  • It's a local game of the Dice. Horses.
    It's casual gambling, usual for the next round of drinks.
    http://www.ehow.com/list_5990178_rules-dice-game-horse.html
    When it's a tied score, it's  "A Horse apiece"
    Equal
    6 of one kind and a half dozen of the other,, ;)
    « Last Edit: 09:26 PM, 04/05/12 by necchi »

Offline Viperdoc

Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #13 on: 09:10 AM, 04/11/12 »
  • Varget may be a bit slow for the bullet weights you're describing. Benchmark, TAC, H335, 4895 may burn more efficiently in these lighter bullets. I never had much luck with accuracy using these plastic tipped bullets in any of three 1/9 Krieger barrels.

Offline sdneil

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    Varget and Nosler 60 gr
    « Reply #14 on: 02:15 PM, 04/11/12 »
  • Varget will be excellent!!! 25.5 gr in my .223....

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.