Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: GemPro250 ???'s  (Read 1306 times)

Offline EOD350

• Trade Count: (+13)
GemPro250 ???'s
« on: 02:33 PM, 03/08/12 »
  • I received a GemPro 250 yesterday, setting up and powering it up for 24 hrs. as recommended. When I calibrate the scale the 20g weight reads 308.75 not 308.64, which I think is what it is suppossed to read. Can anyone give me some direction? I appreciate the help.

Offline shooter63

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+141)
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #1 on: 02:55 PM, 03/08/12 »
  • sorry i cant help you with that i sent mine back where they came from could you tell me if your cal weight is treaded for a small screw in bottom of weight the 1   i got was& it fell out  they didnt look very user friendly to me  the salesperson said they would send me another weight but i couldnt seem to get ahold of the little pan  i know ive posted this same thing before just wondering if that weight went with my scales or had they been out to someone else prior to me regards& good luck shooter63

Offline jlow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #2 on: 03:09 PM, 03/08/12 »
  • Not quite sure what you are doing but let’s go through it.

First of all to do a “Sensitivity calibration”, you first hit the “Tare” to zero the scale, then hit the “Light” button and it should say “Scale” on the display, this means you are going to do the “Sensitivity calibration” which involves only one calibration weight i.e. the 20 gram weight they supply.  Next to confirm you want to do this hit the “Tare” button, the display will show “20.000g” which is asking you if you want to use this calibration weight?  Hit “Tare” again to basically say yes.  The scale will zero itself, and then display “20.000g” at which point you place the 20 gram weight on the scale, when it is done calibrating, it will stop blinking and read 20.000gr with a red backlight.  Take the calibration weight off and the scale should read 0.000g.  Since we are reloading, you need to change the units from gram to grain, hit the “Unit” button four times and it should go to grains and the display should read 0.00gr.  Put the 20g weight on and it should read 308.64gr  You are done.

Now it won’t read 308.65 because the last digit is only running on even numbers but if you switch it to grams and put the weight on, it will read 20.000g.

One reason why you may not get an absolutely accurate read on your scale after this calibration is because you have not linearly calibrated it.  As mentioned in a previous post I made on this balance, if you are interested in absolute accuracy with this scale, you need to do both the linear and sensitivity calibration and for that you will also need the 50 gram calibration weight which is available from Grangers for a reasonable price.

Offline EOD350

• Trade Count: (+13)
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #3 on: 05:46 AM, 03/09/12 »
  • Thank you jlow, just what I needed. My instructions are somewhat vague for some reason.

shooter63, The weight I have appears to have a slight weld on it. It does weight 20.000 g's. My scale set up right after following jlows intructions. User error I'm sure.
    « Last Edit: 05:51 AM, 03/09/12 by EOD350 »

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #4 on: 07:10 AM, 03/09/12 »
  • The instructions are a bit vague but once you figure it out and especially if you use it every time you use your balance like me, you can breeze through it from memory with no problem - it takes me about a minute to run through both calibration and that is with the gloving etc.

One thing I do before each calibration is to take the pan off and brush it off with a small paint brush to get rid of any dust and gunpowder debris.  I then wipe the bottom of the pan with a dryer sheet to rid the static from the brushing, and then I zero the scale and begin the calibration.  This process prevent the calibration weights from being contaminated with stuff on the pan that may stick to it and rid any static and also makes using the balance tricky.

Offline CoverDog

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+19)
      • The Kennels of Stone Creek
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #5 on: 09:42 AM, 03/09/12 »
  • shooter63, The weight I have appears to have a slight weld on it. It does weight 20.000 g's. My scale set up right after following jlows intructions. User error I'm sure.

I think the weight has a hole in the bottom in which a molten substance is poured until the correct weight is obtained. I think that is what you are calling a weld.
    NRA Endowment member

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #6 on: 08:46 PM, 03/14/12 »
  • I received a question as to how to do the linear calibration with both the 20 and 50 gram weight and I am posting the instructions here so that others can also benifit:

OK, here are the steps to do the linear calibration. 

The first thing you do is to hit the “Tar” button to zero the display, next hit the “Light” button and this will bring up “SCALE” in the display, this would indicate the machine is ready for the regular “Sensitivity” calibration which we don’t want.  To choose linear calibration, hit the “Units” button which will change the display to “LinE” which means we are now in the linear calibration menu. 

Next hit “Tar” again, this tells the machine to starts the calibration process.  The display will initially show a blinking “0.000” which means it is zeroing the balance, then it will show a blinking “20.000”, this is asking you to put on the 20 gram calibration weight – put it on the pan, the display will continue to show the blinking “20.000” for a few seconds and it accepts the weight, then it will change to a blinking “50.000” which means it is asking you to put on the 50 gram weight – do it .  Again the display will show the blinking “50.000” for a few seconds before it stops and display “50.000”.  When it does this, it means you are done doing the linear calibration - take the weight off.

As a rule, I would suggest doing the following sequence during a calibration:
    1.   Let the scale warm up at least 30 min if not 1 hour before attempting any calibration.
    2.   Make sure the balance is level using the adjustable legs and spirit level.
    3.   Clean the weight pan off first with a brush and wipe the bottom of the pan with a dryer sheet to neutralize the static.
    4.   Do the linear calibration first with the two weights.
    5.   Do the sensitivity calibration with the 20 gram weight second.
    6.   Always hit the “UNITS” key four times after calibration to bring the units back to grains.

Offline Travelor

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #7 on: 09:06 AM, 03/16/12 »
  • jlow, thanks a BUNCH.

I have a GemProm 250 and was never able to follow the instruction to calibrate mine.  I was just using a bullet to verify the TARE was not shifting.

I know, not exact weights but they were uniform.

George
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #8 on: 09:52 AM, 03/16/12 »
  • I was also in the same boat for a while  :D (who wrote those instructions never send it in for beta testing) but I finally figured it out and thought I would share.

Offline jeepfreak1972

• Basic Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #9 on: 11:35 AM, 08/28/13 »
  • I received a question as to how to do the linear calibration with both the 20 and 50 gram weight and I am posting the instructions here so that others can also benifit:

OK, here are the steps to do the linear calibration. 

The first thing you do is to hit the “Tar” button to zero the display, next hit the “Light” button and this will bring up “SCALE” in the display, this would indicate the machine is ready for the regular “Sensitivity” calibration which we don’t want.  To choose linear calibration, hit the “Units” button which will change the display to “LinE” which means we are now in the linear calibration menu. 

Next hit “Tar” again, this tells the machine to starts the calibration process.  The display will initially show a blinking “0.000” which means it is zeroing the balance, then it will show a blinking “20.000”, this is asking you to put on the 20 gram calibration weight – put it on the pan, the display will continue to show the blinking “20.000” for a few seconds and it accepts the weight, then it will change to a blinking “50.000” which means it is asking you to put on the 50 gram weight – do it .  Again the display will show the blinking “50.000” for a few seconds before it stops and display “50.000”.  When it does this, it means you are done doing the linear calibration - take the weight off.

As a rule, I would suggest doing the following sequence during a calibration:
    1.   Let the scale warm up at least 30 min if not 1 hour before attempting any calibration.
    2.   Make sure the balance is level using the adjustable legs and spirit level.
    3.   Clean the weight pan off first with a brush and wipe the bottom of the pan with a dryer sheet to neutralize the static.
    4.   Do the linear calibration first with the two weights.
    5.   Do the sensitivity calibration with the 20 gram weight second.
    6.   Always hit the “UNITS” key four times after calibration to bring the units back to grains.

Im new here and to digital scales. I just ordrerd the gem pro 250 and 50g weight from old will knotts. My question is on your instructions for linear calibration. Do I remove the 20g weight before placing the 50g on? I would think so because the two together is 20g over the scales weight limit. Just making sure. thank you
    Steve

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #10 on: 11:41 AM, 08/28/13 »
  • Yes, in linear calibration, it will tell you to put on the 20 gram weight, then the 50 gram weight.  When it ask you to put on the 50, you must take off the 20 or you will have a total of 70 grams which will throw the whole thing off.

Offline jeepfreak1972

• Basic Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #11 on: 11:44 AM, 08/28/13 »
  • Thats what I thought. Thank you for the quick reply.
    Steve

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #12 on: 11:45 AM, 08/28/13 »
  • I had to do a double take since this thread is a real "blast from the past"!  ;D

Offline jeepfreak1972

• Basic Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #13 on: 11:55 AM, 08/28/13 »
  • I thought it said 13 for the year. After I posted I realized it was 12. Im just happy you were paying attention.

Offline jlow

• Ace Member
    GemPro250 ???'s
    « Reply #14 on: 12:10 PM, 08/28/13 »
  • Just happened on to it....LOL!

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.