Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 22 hornet headspacing  (Read 971 times)

Offline golfer2b2000

• Trade Count: (+9)
22 hornet headspacing
« on: 08:05 AM, 02/25/12 »
  • Getting back to my savage model 40 22 hornet..I have taken the barrel off this rifle which is an easy process to do. Since the 22 hornet headspaces off the rim, and not the case my question is this. I have found that by fabricating a fake cartridge and putting it into the chamber and trying to close the bolt, I have found that my maximum headspace is .074. A factory cartridge measures for the most part around .064. On the model 40 Savage it is possible to screw the barrel in tighter to decrease the headspace. If I do this the only thng I can see I am changing is that the numbers and letters stamped onto the outside of the barrel will not line up. This is not a concern to me, but I was thinking that if I was to decrease the headspace by lets say from the normal .010 to lets say .005 it may be possible to gain the accuracy that I am trying to obtain. Now I am not a gunsmith, and I know that it will be best to take it to one before I do anything like this because I do have a big concern about doing this safely. I am looking for your thoughts, and concerns about doing something like this..
    Thanks, Gene

Offline moorepower

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+4)
    22 hornet headspacing
    « Reply #1 on: 09:06 AM, 02/25/12 »
  • Itwould be worth a try. Measure 25-50 cases and see what they measure to see the max you find.
    Pat Moore

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    22 hornet headspacing
    « Reply #2 on: 09:20 AM, 02/25/12 »
  • if you cant close the bolt how are you measuring the headspace? it would seem to me the fake case if .065 rim thickness and will not allow the bolt to close, the chamber does not have enough headspace to allow the bolt to close.

if this is true, then unscrew the bbl, to allow the bolt to close.
    Bob

Offline golfer2b2000

• Trade Count: (+9)
    22 hornet headspacing
    « Reply #3 on: 09:39 AM, 02/25/12 »
  • Bob, you must have misunderstood what I was explaining, or better yet i probably didnt explain it all that well. I have no problems closing the bolt the way the rifle is on my reloads or factory. I wanted to really see just how think the rim could be and still allow the bolt to close. This seems to be the area of around .072. I made a fake cartridge with the rim thickness of .072 and another at .070. The .070 allows the bolt to close, but the .072 does not. Since this headspaces off the rim thickness, and really the 22 hornet is not considered a very accurate rifle in most cases. By what I just explained I can believe the headspace to be around .071. With the thickest rim I have measured I get a bit under .065. So if i screwed the barrel in till the bolt will close on lets say a .068 rim thickness, I will have about a maximum headspace gap of .oo3 instead of a .008 like I have now. Accuracy may, or may not inprove. I just felt it may be worth a try.

Offline moorepower

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+4)
    22 hornet headspacing
    « Reply #4 on: 08:58 PM, 02/25/12 »
  • There are plenty of CZ's, Savage's, Cooper's, H&R's and Annies out there that will print sub 1/2" groups with the Hornet. Alot of American guns have sloppy chambers, and it is no fault of the rimmed case. You may find that you will get better groups with your gun with WW296 or A1680, and with or without small pistol primers. My guns like the 40 grain V-max. I would seriously check the action screws and see if the rifle is stable with the screws tight, or it may need a bedding job. Other than an occasional extraction issue, most of the model 40's seem to be quite accurate in the 22 Hornet.
    Pat Moore

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.