Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 75 grain 223 loads  (Read 3880 times)

Offline chevytruck_83

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Ace Member
75 grain 223 loads
« on: 07:39 PM, 02/16/12 »
  • I'm looking for some recommendations. I have a savage bvss in 223 with one of savages 1x7 twist barrels ordered. Id like to load up some 75 grain a Max and bthp match using reloader 15. My 308 loves rl15 so if I can work up good loads for my 223 using the same powder that would be great. Using nosler and lapua brass. Thanks. Nick.
    You can give peace a chance. I'll stay back and cover you in case it doesn't work out.

Offline MrMajestic

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #1 on: 08:24 PM, 02/16/12 »
  • It is a recommended powder for this weight class bullet in the .223. The only reason I have not tried it is due to the suspected temperature variation concerns as I shoot from 0 to 100 degree temperatures. Lovely weather in the NE! I use VihtaVuori N140 with the 75 grain A-Max and get excellent results in my 24" barreled, 1in9" twist, .223 Remington chambered Savage 16.
    "That which does not destroy me, has made a huge tactical error"

Offline RStewart

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+2)
    • FTR and FPR Competitor
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #2 on: 08:48 PM, 02/16/12 »
  • Varget is also an excellent powder for .223 and is very temperature stable. It and Reloder15 are very close in burn rate. I currently use a load of 24.0 grains of Varget if loading to mag length (2.260") in Lake City or Lapua brass. This is a pretty standard load for that bullet.
    If you decide to go heavier (which you easily can in a 1:7), you should measure the throat so you can see how much longer you can load toward the lands. In my F-Class rifle I load 80 grain SMK's over 24.4 grains of Varget ta an ogive of 2.410". 2871 fps. As always, start on the lower end and work up your load for your rifle.
    Director- Palo Alto Mid-Range F-Class/Prone and Field Precision Rifle Matches

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #3 on: 02:22 AM, 02/17/12 »
  • With the 75 Amax, in my 7.2 twist barrel, I am currently using 24.0 grains of H4895. Barrel has been chambered with a Wylde chhamber. Velocity is 3125 fps out of this 30 inch barrel.

Offline Beau

75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #4 on: 03:55 AM, 02/17/12 »
  • I shoot 24.5gr of Re15 out of my AR with those bullets. Start by cutting at least a grain and work up. They are very accurate loads. You will be happy!

Offline BoilerUP

• Trade Count: (+6)
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #5 on: 11:11 AM, 02/17/12 »
  • +1 for 24.0gr Varget and the 75gr Hornady HPBT....shoots fantastically from my Savage 12FV 26" 9 twist .223.

Offline chevytruck_83

• Ace Member
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #6 on: 09:10 PM, 02/17/12 »
  • Thanks guys. Surprised to hear these shoot well in The 1x9.
    You can give peace a chance. I'll stay back and cover you in case it doesn't work out.

Offline Peter N

• Basic Member
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #7 on: 10:26 PM, 02/17/12 »
  • In my 8.0 Rock Creek/Rem 700 I found best 600yd accuracy at 24.6 H4895 showing 2965 fps with a 77gr SMK. Same load of Varget almost as good.  Some mild primer cratering but no other pressure signs.

Offline chevytruck_83

• Ace Member
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #8 on: 12:10 AM, 02/19/12 »
  • Thanks guys. Looking forward to shooting these loads.

Offline chevytruck_83

• Ace Member
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #9 on: 06:26 PM, 02/22/12 »
  • I managed to find in (the complete reloading manual for the 223 Remington) book by load books. Com. In the back looking up by powder under alliant it lists one load for the 75 grain hornady hpbt using rl15 which is 24.9grains Max at 2895fps with a c.o.l. of 2.260

Offline kentuckytroutbum

75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #10 on: 10:23 AM, 02/23/12 »
  • I got better accuracy out of the Hornady 75 HBPT, than the 75 Amax, which kinda suprised me. Powder is AA2520, Win. brass, and WSR primers.

Offline RStewart

• Site $$ Contributor
    • FTR and FPR Competitor
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #11 on: 08:02 PM, 02/24/12 »
  • I got better accuracy out of the Hornady 75 HBPT, than the 75 Amax, which kinda suprised me. Powder is AA2520, Win. brass, and WSR primers.

AA2520 is a great powder. I use it in my Grendel loads. But, it is temperature sensitive, so anyone new to it needs to take that into account. A load you worked up in cool weather may be too hot when temperatures rise. YMMV

Offline chevytruck_83

• Ace Member
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #12 on: 12:37 PM, 02/26/12 »
  • I shoot in all weather except rain. Like yesterday. 30-40mph gusts snowing hard @25 degrees. Was so nice. Just my friend and I at the range. How critical is temp with rl15? I mean if I loaded the 75 grain Max at 24.1 grains what kind of fps  difference could be expected from lets say 20 degrees to 80? Roughly?

Offline BoilerUP

• Trade Count: (+6)
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #13 on: 12:41 PM, 02/26/12 »
  • I can't speak for RL15 in a 223, but with RL-17 in my 260 I've seen a 120fps extreme spread between my record low velocity and record high velocity with my rifle's favorite load.

I believe that is VERY extreme, and not truly representative of the powder.  The one high group I got was quite high velocity (no pressure, however) and due to me stupidly leaving loaded rounds in direct sunlight for about 90 minutes before shooting them on a ~80 degree day.

That said, the low group, the high group, and all the ones close to the average velocity all shot wonderful groups.

Offline RStewart

• Site $$ Contributor
    • FTR and FPR Competitor
    75 grain 223 loads
    « Reply #14 on: 04:53 PM, 02/26/12 »
  • RL15 can also be temperature sensitive. Not as bad as 2520, but enough to make a difference in temperature swings. At least in .223 and .308.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.