Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Inherent accuracy – 6mm Rem, 6mm RemAI, 6mm-06  (Read 3076 times)

Offline gene pool

• Trade Count: (+17)
Gentlemen (and ladies too if they are precision shooters),

I must make a decision by tomorrow and need your experience regarding inherent accuracy of 6mm (long action) chamberings.  Accuracy, that is, small groups at distances, is my number 1 criteria.  The second criteria is velocity, however velocity is not so important as to sacrifice accuracy.  And third is "reasonable" barrel life. 

I have a custom barrel in 1-9 twist and will put it with a blueprinted Remington 700 long action. 

I make brass already for a 6mm RemAI, so the process of fire-forming, turning, etc. is not a big issue.  My thinking is it is between these chamberings:  a standard 6mm Remington, 6mm Rem AI, and 6mm-06.

So what are your experiences on inherent accuracy?  Which would you recommend I go with, or do you have another suggestion?

Thank you in advance,
Gene           

Offline Gary in MD

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+21)
Inherent accuracy – 6mm Rem, 6mm RemAI, 6mm-06
« Reply #1 on: 11:44 AM, 02/07/12 »
  •  Without getting long winded, based on your criteria...... I'd go with the 6mmAI. I have one and it is plenty fast and plenty accurate. Mine uses a  28" Kreiger barrel. Good luck,
    Gary 

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+96)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 12:54 PM, 02/07/12 »
  • Plus 1 on the 6mm Ackley....
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 02:16 PM, 02/07/12 »
  • Accuracy, that is, small groups at distances, is my number 1 criteria.  The second criteria is velocity, however velocity is not so important as to sacrifice accuracy.  And third is "reasonable" barrel life. 

How many rounds would you consider to be "reasonable" barrel life??  That anwer alone might eliminate 2 or 3 you've proposed. WD

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 04:41 PM, 02/07/12 »
  • 6-06 i  way overbore and will burn bbl faster than the 6AI, go 6AI

Bob

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #5 on: 07:56 PM, 02/07/12 »
  • The difference in inherent accuracy means little compaired to the quality of the rifle and the barrel on it.
    Catfish

Offline gene pool

« Reply #6 on: 07:59 PM, 02/07/12 »
  • Quote from: WyleWD
    How many rounds would you consider to be "reasonable" barrel life??  That anwer alone might eliminate 2 or 3 you've proposed. WD

For me, unreasonable barrel life is ~1000 rounds.  Reasonable barrel life is ~2000 rounds and up. 

So which of the chamberings I listed has the most barrel life?

Thank you,
    Gene 

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 06:31 AM, 02/08/12 »
  • Quote from: WyleWD

For me, unreasonable barrel life is ~1000 rounds.  Reasonable barrel life is ~2000 rounds and up. 

So which of the chamberings I listed has the most barrel life?

Thank you,
    Gene

Just based on my experience with the 3, I'd say the 6mm would be the longest life.  And distant 2nd place toss up between the 6AI and the 6-06 depending upon how they are shot, cleaned, etc. 

For the amount of barrel life you're looking for I'd consider the 6br, 6x47, or 6xc. WD
    « Last Edit: 07:01 AM, 02/08/12 by WyleWD »

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 07:54 AM, 02/08/12 »
  • Gene,
    Respectfully speaking if barrel life is ever a consideration go with a 3030 Win, I am not sure you will outlast the barrel even if you shoot daily, all that being said you can't have a 600HP Corvette and get excellent fuel mileage and you can't have a stock Geo-Metro run a 8 second 1/4 mile. Just like gasoline and tires, bullets, powder,primers, brass and BARRELS are expendable! Naturally the 6mm Rem. will last the longest followed by the 6mmAI, and lastly the 6mm-06, with the 6mm-06 you can use Lapua brass which is it's only attribute IMO as the 7X57 Mauser case is probably the most efficient of all the AI chamberings, I have a 6mm Rem. and a 6mmAI, with proper case prep you can get by with Win brass, Remington should be discontinued, it is the worst brass made! order your chambering with neck turning in mind and accuracy will be great, brass will last for a very long time, much much longer then the std. 6mm Rem. my accuracy with the last one I built was on par with a 6br out to 300 yds or so, it is a 1:14 Krieger on a trued Rem action and a HS prcision hunter BR stock, 6ox. Jewell trigger, 65 grain V-Max and 3031 IMR powder is very accurate and deadly on ground hogs, 68 grain Bergers shoot in the ones if I do my part, and I have shot the 65 v-maxes in the ones also but I would say they are a true mid two's bullet in that gun, I noticed after 500 rounds accuracy dropped some at 800 I had it set back, I have 1200 on it now and it has dropped some accuracy again, still a good ground hog gun but you can't show off and make jagged hole groups any more, looking at it with a bore scope I am not sure it would be worth setting back again, although my smith told me it would be a good candidate for him to teach me how to do some smithing on so I may do it.

Side note:  The AI shot 39.0 grains of 3031 which was the fire form load as well as my full house loads, not while fireforming but after if I loaded back with the 39.0 grains it shot just as well as my full house loads did, just less velocity, I wanted speed so I lost my barrel way early because the GH's could tell the difference between 3500 and 3900 fps ::) so keep that in mind, I am going to build another but if I can get it to shoot at a reduced level like this one did I will and just consider the extra barrel life and brass that will last forever worth the AI chambering.
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline 40X Guy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+183)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 05:06 PM, 02/08/12 »
  • Great post Wayne! I will nod towards the 6AI also, my favorite hotrod caliber.

Frank

Offline gene pool

« Reply #10 on: 09:58 AM, 02/09/12 »
  • Well, to update you guys, a 6mm RemAI is on the way.  What one poster said about buying new barrels when they burn out is part of the process.  That was taken to heart.  Kinda like dating a gorgeous woman...it will be fun while it lasts. :P

Gene 

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 10:31 AM, 02/09/12 »
  • Absolutely Gene ;) I don't know what twist rate you went with but 40X Guy is the guy to contact when trying to figure what direction to take for load work, He and I talked a lot about the cartridge in the past and he is quite knowledgeable on the subject.
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline mikegaiz

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Stay frosty, my friend.
    « Reply #12 on: 01:03 PM, 02/09/12 »
  • In my opinion anything chambered larger than a .243 is a short life barrel. The difference in 6mmAI and 6mm/06 is about 200 rounds. I suggest using molly coated bullets. I an getting around 1400 rounds in my 243 Super Rock chucker (6mm/06)  with molly and ball powder. of course I am on my fourth barrel, but boy is it a flat shooter... :D
    mike
    Mike
    One shot. One hole.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.