Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Hornady 224 cal 75 grain HPBT  (Read 2649 times)

Offline bricktop

• Trade Count: (+8)
Hornady 224 cal 75 grain HPBT
« on: 08:28 PM, 02/04/12 »
  • Anyone using this bullet?  Seems like nearly the best BC I can get with a 1 in 9" twist in 223 Remington without a VLD profile (currently trying the 70 VLD with mediocre accuracy).

Also, anyone know the G7 BC for this bullet?  I have the first edition Litz book, I don't think it's in there, but I lent it to my brother and don't have it at the moment.  Maybe it's in the second edition?

Offline Taildrag15X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+37)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 12:42 AM, 02/05/12 »
  • I have, but also gave the Hornady 75gr A-Max a look and went that way instead, I have even been lucky enough to have Sierra 77gr Match Kings work in a 1-9" out to 600, both are bolt guns.

Mike

F-Class High Master

Offline bricktop

« Reply #2 on: 11:34 AM, 02/05/12 »
  • Well I got a box, not too expensive of an experiment for only $15/100.  We'll see how it goes.  Hopefully better due to the less secanty ogive.

Offline Dennis Keefer

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 09:45 PM, 02/05/12 »
  • bricktop;

I use Hornady 75 grain Match in my Savage M12BVSS 1:9. I use H-4895 powder, and am getting 2960 FPS. At 200 YDS I can shoot under 1/2 MOA, and under 1 MOA at 500 YDS. I seat my bullets so they just do not touch the rifling. I use Winchester brass and Rem. 7 1/2 SRBR primers. I do not consider this load hot in my rifle, but maybe in another.

I tried 75 grain AMAXS, like shooting buck shot. 69 SMK,s shoot better, but drift more in the wind at 500 YDS. Our range lies across a small valley and extends up the mountain on the far side. We get some intersting winds and thermals!

This is a straight out of the box factory gun, and with my eye problems have been very pleased with the 75 grain match bullets performance.

Good shooting!
    Dennis
    NRA / BVSA / MCSA

Offline lal357

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #4 on: 01:56 PM, 02/18/12 »
  • I shot those in my lrpv 1-9t shot good but amax was better . Gonna try them in my mcgowen barrel that didn't like the amax's .

Offline BoilerUP

• Trade Count: (+6)
    « Reply #5 on: 08:29 PM, 02/18/12 »
  • The 75gr HPBT shoots great in my 26" 9 twist barrel, going ~2850fps at the muzzle.

Offline A_Gamehog

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #6 on: 10:10 AM, 02/20/12 »
  • Lake city brass
    CCI450 primers
    23 Grains of Varget
    75 HP Hornady match
    2.260 COL

1/4" MOA on a good day to 300 yards. In both my 9 twists
    "Happiness  for me is a Barred Owl eating a Spotted Owl" Environmentalists watching nature do what I could not.

Offline bricktop

« Reply #7 on: 09:14 PM, 02/22/12 »
  • Well I got some loaded up for this weekend.  Used the relatively new 2000MR powder, and just gonna find my pressure point for now.  Starting with 25 grains and working up in 0.5 grain increments.  I don't think it's the most temp stable power, but I've heard some good things about it, probably better than regular ball.

We'll see how it goes...

Offline kelbro

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 09:37 PM, 02/22/12 »
  • That bullet shoots very well for me in 1:9 ARs, a 24" Shilen 223 and a 24" Shilen 223AI. The Amax shoots a little better in the two bolt guns but the Sierras fit the AR mags.

Offline MLC

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #9 on: 10:04 AM, 03/03/12 »
  • That bullet shot well out of my 16" 9 twist AR.
    I'm not sure what the load consisted of.
    It was the re-manufactured ammo that Hornady loaded for Service Rifle shooters.
    Nature never did betray the heart that loved her.

Offline bricktop

« Reply #10 on: 10:02 AM, 03/07/12 »
  • Got to shoot it the other weekend.

Loads were:

25 to 27.5 grains 2000MR (five each)
    Lapua brass, trimmed to 1.750"
    1.875" Case-Ogive (w/ Hornady Comparator, max for my rifle is 1.882" to lands)
    CCI BR4
    CZ 527 Varmint w/24" bbl
    Temp was about 30 F

Don't have it in front of me, but IIRC, velocity started at about 2750 and got up to 2950 at 27.5 grains.  No pressure signs throughout.  Last group had an ES of 15, but the chrono missed the fifth shot (and even five shots is not a good figure for these statistic I know).  I think there is a node around 27.5, so I'm going to do 27.2, 27.4, 27.6, and 27.8 grains this weekend.

Still don't know the G7 BC though, that would be helpful when I take it to 600+ yards.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.