Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Best Varmint bullet for 1/7 twist AR  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Rookie

• Trade Count: (+3)
Best Varmint bullet for 1/7 twist AR
« on: 07:42 AM, 01/19/12 »
  • Several of my AR's have 1/7 twist barrels. 77gr SMK's shoot great but aren't the best for "Varmints" . None of them shoot 55gr anything worth a hoot.
    What works for you?
    How's the 60gr V-Max in a 1/7?

Offline boltfluter

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
      • Pro-Precision Rifles
    « Reply #1 on: 09:16 AM, 01/19/12 »
  • Try a 75 gr. A-max if you can. They are like very explosive. Paul. 8)

Offline chino69

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 02:26 PM, 01/19/12 »
  • Second vote for the A-Max.  They are accurate and deadly on critters.

Offline trentalan34

• Trade Count: (+5)
    « Reply #3 on: 09:17 AM, 01/20/12 »
  • I am surprised that you couldn't get any 55 bullet to shoot, but the Amax is great in my 1:7 on coons.

Offline people

• Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 10:26 AM, 01/20/12 »
  • I shoot the 50gr speer TNT bullet from my 1:8 and from a 1:7 and they do pretty darn good.  I am switching over to the hornady 52gr HPBT match bullet.  My rifles shoot them pretty well and they are about the same price as the TNT.
    They say “I am pro hunter.”  Means they do not care about your handguns or your AR-15.
    They say “I am progun but why do you have to have a 15 or 30 rd mag.” They are antigun.
    Are you progun or antigun?

Offline areaone

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 10:43 AM, 01/20/12 »
  • 75 gr A Max, watch what it will do to a coyote on the exit hole...........ouch!!!

Offline Rookie

• Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #6 on: 04:03 PM, 01/21/12 »
  • 75 gr A Max, watch what it will do to a coyote on the exit hole...........ouch!!!

I don't care if it blows them in half. I get paid a $50 bounty for everyone I kill.
    But the county gets the yote.

I shot some 65gr Sierra SBT Gamekings this morning and they group great. I'm gona try them next week on some Yotes.

Offline cb1229

« Reply #7 on: 08:40 PM, 01/22/12 »
  • try 80gr I shoot them in my AR rr with a wylde chamber pretty accurate use 8208 single load and soft seat

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 03:39 AM, 01/23/12 »
  • gonna have to put a vote in for the AMax bullet.

Offline A_Gamehog

« Reply #9 on: 10:48 PM, 01/27/12 »
  • Try the Barnes 50Grain VG's. They are long for weight, as are most Barnes bullets. My go-to-bullet for my fast twist ar.
    Try the 53 V-Max's they are also long for weight.
    around 3,200-3,400 fps muzzle and accurate out to 300+ yards max.

Try :
    Lake city brass, New and Neck sized.
    CCI450
    24 Grains H322
    50 Grain barnes Varmint grenade.
    2.257 col

Benchmark gets them  3400-3500 but you have a hot throat eroding load.

1/2moa out to 200 yards.

IMR 8208 and tac also work well.
    « Last Edit: 10:55 PM, 01/27/12 by A_Gamehog »
    "Happiness  for me is a Barred Owl eating a Spotted Owl" Environmentalists watching nature do what I could not.

Offline jonbearman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+185)
    • Ace Member
    • I live in new york state,how unfortunate !
    « Reply #10 on: 05:14 PM, 01/28/12 »
  • I cant believe how many fellas have trouble with the 1in7 twist with lighter bullets.I have a colt and shoot everything form 40 to 69 grainers with real good results.I will say one thing,the faster the twist,especially with a factory tube instead of aftermarket will copper up fairly quick and accuracy suffers.I have scoped my gun after a 50 round session with a well broke in armalite barrel and was shocked to see all the heavy copper I missed.Had to get more aggressive with the cleaning.Accuracy comes right back.I also feel that moly or hbn would help with some of the copper problems.I know I will get slammed by some one for giving my 2 cents,but this is what I have learned from ruining 2 barrels form not paying attention.
    « Last Edit: 05:17 PM, 01/28/12 by jonbearman »
    Jon  Lennon and Norman who is a german shorthair,my buddy!

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.