Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Tig Weld Rem.700 Bolt Face  (Read 2513 times)

Offline jaclthr

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Tig Weld Rem.700 Bolt Face
« on: 03:07 PM, 12/27/11 »
  •           Is the bolt face of a Remington 700 tempered, can you tig weld the bolt face without making it brittle or in any other way make it unsafe ?

Thanks For Your Input

jaclthr

Offline p17enfeild

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #1 on: 03:23 PM, 12/27/11 »
  • why are you wanting to weld it?

Offline jaclthr

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: 04:27 PM, 12/27/11 »
  •          A customer stuck a case do to pressure and tried to drill it out, it left dimples in the bolt from the drill and he wanted to know if it could be welded and refaced.

jaclthr

Offline Minesweeper3433

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    • 45B/91F
    « Reply #3 on: 04:57 PM, 12/27/11 »
  • How did he drill it out that he damaged the bolt face? Just curios and want to make sure I don't do something like that.
    Old guns like old friendships are long retained and must be constantly renewed.  James V. Howe The modern gunsmith Pub. 1934\

Offline p17enfeild

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: 05:05 PM, 12/27/11 »
  • oh i see
    i think i would be inclined the bore the face out a may be .025'' and solder in a bush, a photo of the damage may be of help
    i my self would not tig ,mig or use brazing at that end of the bolt
    hope this help

Offline lelongcarabine

« Reply #5 on: 06:23 PM, 12/27/11 »
  • I am a retired welder with many moons of certified TIG experience.
    IMHO! For a customers rifle? There are things you can weld and things you shouldn't.  This situation demands a completely new bolt! Your liability is on the line! Warpage and distortion, improper heat treating , among other issues can create a very expensive "simple repair"
    However, Lets look at the minimum of what you would need to reweld that damage. #1. Access to a heat treating furnace. #2. Filler rod with Matching metallurgy. #3. Heat stop. #4 Bolt plug and purge tubing for internal purge of bolt.
    You will need to make a full penetration weld. No lack of fusion at the bottom corners of the drill holes.
    To much penetration and you will have a distorted firing pin hole or bolt head.
    Rockmount/Nassau Alloys has some outstanding chromemoly TIG filler rod that does not spit and sputter. It runs smooth. I do not know if the tensile strength is adequate for this application. I does work well on chrome moly receivers; pre-heat treated, investment casting repair.  I do not sell or receive a commission if you decide to use this product. Heres the link; (look alloy steels on the left, click on Tartan and Tartan B(high strength)) Hope this helps? Greg
    http://www.weldit.com/product1.html
    « Last Edit: 06:26 PM, 12/27/11 by lelongcarabine »

Offline Dans40X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 06:55 PM, 12/27/11 »
  • IF,
    the rifle is un-molested-
    Pull the bolt out of the rifle & send it to Rem for a $175.00 replacement bolt assy.
    OR
    Purchase an OEM Rem bolt assy on line-
    Compare bolts critical dimensions,drop into action,confirm headspace & hand the rifle back to your customer.

Practice on your customers old/your new bolt!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't TIG weld on my personal bolt nose's.
    That nose is silvered brazed & pinned in place.
    Practice makes Perfect!!!
    Good Luck!!!!
    Keep'em in the X ring...
    DAN
    www.ACCU-TIG.com

Offline lelongcarabine

« Reply #7 on: 08:40 PM, 12/27/11 »
  • Dans40X brought up a VERY IMPORTANT POINT! Factory Remington bolts are made in 3 pieces. Handle, body and head. If you heat the bolt body/head braze joint beyond the brazing alloy melting point. You will have destroyed the process integrity of that joining technique. A replacement Remington or a PT&G Bolt would be a far better way to deal with the issue!
    The advise given to practice on your own bolt, is Wisdom at its finest! Greg

Offline jaclthr

• Site $$ Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: 08:54 PM, 12/27/11 »
  •        I appreciate all the input and right now it is a practice piece, just wandering about the heat treatment, Great points Thanks Again.

jaclthr

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: 12:11 AM, 12/28/11 »
  •        I appreciate all the input and right now it is a practice piece, just wandering about the heat treatment, Great points Thanks Again.

jaclthr

jadthr,
    All sound advices passed above.
    Personally, I would also inspect very cautiously the other action parts having been submitted to such an overpressure as well...
    -Is the chamber not ovalised?
    -The receiver reinforce slightly bulged?
    -The receiver lugs set back?
    -Blowback signs in the firing mechanism?........
    R.G.C

Offline Gundoktr

• Trade Count: (+3)
    « Reply #10 on: 08:16 AM, 12/28/11 »

jaclthr

I have extra rem 700 short action bolt bodies available, what are your needs?

Emails please:  Jkob60@msn.com

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.