Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 22-243 Load Data wanted...  (Read 3882 times)

Offline msr243ai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
22-243 Load Data wanted...
« on: 08:57 PM, 12/17/11 »

• I had posted about this once before but can not seem to acheive what I want out of my 22-243 Win. I have been loading it with RL-25. Using CCI 200 primers. I have played with different powder charges and the best I've come up with is shooting about 2-3" groups @ 100 yards. I am using 75 grain A-max's also. Also my COL is 2.7550". Is this too long? Any longer then this the bullet starts to hit the rifelings. I also feel very little powder slop in the case ? Anyways, I would like to hear from you guys that shoot this round and get some perticulars from people..Thanks a lot. Oh Yeah, I have tried powder charges starting from 45 grains up to 48 grains. OR should I change to a different powder maybe like RL-22?

Offline 357Mag

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    22-243 Load Data apples & oranges
    « Reply #1 on: 11:55 AM, 12/19/11 »
  • 22-243AI -

Howdy !

My .224" cal wildcat has case capacity some  2gr  <  .243 Win.

Shooting  that size .224" cal wildcat case in a  28"  1-8;  my best powder/load was  AA3100.
    So, I'm confident your idea of shooting "slower" powder(s) than RL-15 should be progress in the right direction.   

With regards,
                          357Mag

Offline xdeano

« Reply #2 on: 01:09 PM, 12/19/11 »
  • I've been watching this thread for a little bit now and no one was really answering you.

I just got done borrowing a buddies 22-243 for the last 2 weeks, just to play around with it.  He's using an 80g Berger VLD behind H1000 powder, CCI 200 primers in a Lapua 243 case.  I'm sorry I can't tell you what his charge is.  All i know is the chrony was reading a steady 3526fps.  It does a number on coyotes with minimal fur damage which is surprising.  And like 357Mag mentioned slow powders do well in this case, and it's a little easier on barrel life.

xdeano

Offline rcparker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #3 on: 02:38 PM, 12/19/11 »
  • I've got several hundred rounds down the barrel or mine.  I started with rl25 and imr 7828.  Found both of then to be to slow in my 26"barrel. I've had good luck with rl22,but my best load was aa3100.  Since I haven't been able to find 3100out in a while and im out I just started working with h4831. Have only fired a few rounds but seems promising.   All I shoot through mine is 75grthe amax and with 3100you I could easily get .5"

Offline CMJR

• Trade Count: (+24)
    « Reply #4 on: 04:00 PM, 12/19/11 »
  • Ok, ya pulled me off my butt and I went out to my shop to get these numbers. This is what I shoot in mine, RL22 45.5grs, WLR primer, Win brass, 75gr Amax and my COL is running around 2.755 give or take a little. With the plastic tip it varies, I measure from the ojive as a rule. My barrel is a 28" 1-8 Brux and at this length it touches the lands. I've tried RL25, I think it's too slow for 75's, your mileage may vary. I can run mine faster, it just works better at this powder charge.

Offline cinch

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+2)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 06:54 AM, 12/30/11 »
  • 48gr Rel25, Fed 210, 75gr Amax, 2.750... Getting right at 3500fps @ 4500'asl out of a 27" 8 twist Kreiger.

Offline dawgmaster

• Basic Member
    « Reply #6 on: 10:49 PM, 01/02/12 »
  • What twist is your barrel????

Offline OKIE2

« Reply #7 on: 02:46 PM, 02/02/12 »
  • I USE AA 2520 AND NOSLER'S 40 GR. BTIP
    VERY ACCURATE 20 SHOTS IN 1/2 INCH
    AND 4250 FPS OAL 2.630 TOUCHING LANDS
    I HAVE THE 1 IN 14 TWIST
    « Last Edit: 01:12 PM, 02/08/12 by OKIE2 »

Offline okcwby

• Basic Member
    « Reply #8 on: 01:04 PM, 02/08/12 »
  •          48 grns of H-1000 , 80 grn sierra kissing or just barely in the lands, fed 210 match primers, lapua cases.  I've shot this load in 4 different 1-8 twist 22-243's and it shoot well in all 4. RL 25 never worked for me, it would group but seemed to be to tempature sensitive,  I've used sierra's mostly over the last ten years but the thicker jacket berger is using now in the 80 grn bullet will work as well.   If you want to have a little fun try the 69 grn sierra's , they do some pretty nasty work on game.

Work up on this load if you decide to use it . You'll end up with an "almost" compressed load.

Offline Ironworker

« Reply #9 on: 11:36 AM, 02/11/12 »
  •          48 grns of H-1000 , 80 grn sierra kissing or just barely in the lands, fed 210 match primers, lapua cases.  I've shot this load in 4 different 1-8 twist 22-243's and it shoot well in all 4. RL 25 never worked for me, it would group but seemed to be to tempature sensitive,  I've used sierra's mostly over the last ten years but the thicker jacket berger is using now in the 80 grn bullet will work as well.   If you want to have a little fun try the 69 grn sierra's , they do some pretty nasty work on game.

Work up on this load if you decide to use it . You'll end up with an "almost" compressed load.
       How fast were you launching these bullets ?
    How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul

Offline my human host

« Reply #10 on: 07:45 PM, 02/12/12 »
  • I own the rifle Xdeano was speaking of. My load is 48 grains of H1000 as well. This load shoots very well in three different 22-243's that I own. All have slightly different twist rates. One is a Kreiger Rem sporter, One is a Hart Rem Varmint, and the barrel from Xdeano's post is a 26in. Bartlein HV with the shank turned down for the Savage barrel nut.

I have also used H1000 with excellent results in the 22-250 AI. I doubt all of this is a coincidence.

Offline okcwby

• Basic Member
    « Reply #11 on: 02:29 PM, 02/16/12 »
  •   @ Ironworker, 

I Haven't chrono'd it in years but if i remember correctly in was around 3400 fps. Different barrels = different speeds.

Offline my human host

« Reply #12 on: 05:13 PM, 02/16/12 »
  • My 22-243 loads clocked at-

26in Bartlein 1 in 8 twist Lapua brass: 3525

24in Hart 1 in 7 twist Lapua brass: 3425

24in Kreiger 1 in 7.7 twist Win. brass: 3350

The Kreiger is a good tube, but has always been a little slow. I haven't weighed the brass, but I'm guessing the Lapua raises pressure some over the Win. All with the 80grain Berger vld.

The 48 grain load is safe in my rifles. May not be in yours. Start lower.

Offline Juma

« Reply #13 on: 04:33 PM, 03/24/12 »
  • So if I bought a t3 243 as a donor rifle I would do the following. Change the barrel to 1-8 twist. Get a Redding S FL Bushing die and neck it down to 224? So no fire forming the cases and no need for a reamer? We want a similar rifle to the WSSM we run. Any info appreciated.

Offline floydj

« Reply #14 on: 05:19 PM, 03/24/12 »
  • What kind of barrel life are you guys getting out of this rocket ship? Sounds like a caliber I need to check out

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.