Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 25-06 Best bullet/powder for deer  (Read 6751 times)

Offline BountyHunter

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
25-06 Best bullet/powder for deer
« on: 03:41 PM, 12/16/11 »
  • What seems to be the top 1-2 bullets and powders out of a 25-06 for big whitetails?

thanks

BH
    « Last Edit: 08:57 AM, 12/17/11 by BountyHunter »

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 04:17 PM, 12/16/11 »
  • At seems to be the top 1-2 bullets and powders out of a 25-06 for big whitetails?

thanks

BH
    Asking what the best bullet always ends up in a argument so as to what bullet is the best for white tail would just be a opinion at best anyway, but I have had good luck with Hornaday 117 BT interlocks and H-4831SC BR-2 primers and Winchester brass, it shoots under 1/2" and the bullet is soft enough to expand on white tail yet hard enough to hold up pretty well if you happen to hit bone, I would like to try the accubonds in mine but the Hornadays have done so well for me I think I will just stick with what I have, of course this is only my opinion.
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline CaptainMal

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 05:21 PM, 12/16/11 »
  • Second Bozo's opinion on the 117 Hornady Interlock.It  holds together well, expands well, is relatively inexpensive and shoots well.

For me, Reloader 22 powder worked great also.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...

Offline alf

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 06:49 PM, 12/16/11 »
  • Only a sample of one without getting into specific bullets, but mine shined with H4350 with weights to 100 grains, then H4831SC took over for the bigger slugs.

Offline HTSmith

• Trade Count: (+6)
    « Reply #4 on: 10:09 AM, 12/18/11 »
  • I like IMR 7828.  It fills the case and produces good velocity and accuracy.  A 120 Gr. Nos partition will take any deer just fine--though they are a little tough for the small whitetails in my areal. 
    Tim Smith

Offline areaone

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+22)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #5 on: 03:24 PM, 12/18/11 »
  • IMR 4350 with a 117 gr boattail sierra or try a nosler partition in115 gr.  Works for me.....47.5 gr. 25/06 is a great flat shooting med game caliber.  super antelope rifle

Offline 2506

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 04:20 PM, 12/18/11 »
  • I have shot deer with a great deal of bullet weights and makes in the 25-06 over the past 20 or so years and I have stuck with the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base for the past 15 or so years. It shoots 1/4 MOA in my rifle and kills everything I have have shot with it (at least 200 deer) with one shot with 99% DRT. I use 49 grs IMR 4350, CCI 250, Rem case. 3000 fps from 26" Shilen SS #6.

Offline areaone

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 05:10 PM, 12/18/11 »
  • 2506-------   as my previous post I think you and I are in definite agreement, my mid 70' Ruger 77 didn't like the 49 grains, so I settled on the 47.5, my 117 gr bt Sierra is my original box from the early 80's, never tried the FB 117, probably a little heavier jacket than the BT, which would be better.  I really like. that caliber.  I spoke with a gentleman a number of years ago that had used a 2506 with the 115 or 120 Nosler partition to kill a number of Elk, he said-"it was all the gun I needed."

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 05:28 PM, 12/18/11 »
  • BH,
    You see now what I meant about opinions on bullets??  I believe that Nosler Partitions are way to hard for deer especially white tail deer, I don't feel they will expand reliably on the thin skinned critters of course this is only my opinion if others have good luck with them then that's great, I really like the Partitions on elk, with some people it's a Ford/Chevy thing, for some it's a accuracy thing and for some it's a performance thing, I like to look at the overall picture of accuracy, performance and or past experience from experimentation, I think just about any bullet you can buy for a 25-06 can and will kill a deer ;)
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+104)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 08:16 AM, 12/19/11 »
  • The 115 Berger VLD is a very dependable hunting bullet...
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline Larryh128

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 12:07 PM, 12/19/11 »
  • I tryed a bunch but H4831SC is an extremely easy to load powder & very accurate in my Sako 25-06. I'm thinking about 52 grs with a 110-115 gr bullet.(double check, I'm working from memory) If you're shooting big stuff, think Accubond, Barnes TTSX, or Berger hunting. There are other choices that work also but those are all extremely accurate & really do the job. The 25-06 with any of those bullets is like the hammer of Thor.

Offline 2506

• Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 03:11 PM, 12/21/11 »
  • I have shot deer with the 115 Nosler Partition and believe me it will open up. It is a great bullet, not the most accurate but still minute of deer to waaaaaay out there.
    52 grs H4831 or the SC version seems to be the standard load with 115 to 120 gr bullets in most rifles.  One of the toughest lead core bullets I have ever used is the old
    120 Speer Grand Slam with the hard lead in the base and the soft in the nose. If I was going to elk hunt with my 25-06 I would dig them out of my bullet stash.

Offline motobtcr

• Trade Count: (+44)
    « Reply #12 on: 03:34 PM, 12/21/11 »
  • I've had excellent results with Nosler 100g Ballistic Tips and IMR-4350...for terminal performance and accuracy. Been loading this combination for 10+ years

Offline 300Ultra

« Reply #13 on: 03:37 PM, 12/21/11 »
  • I'm a RL19 and IMR 4350 fella. The 110gr A-bond and again the 117 Hornady are sweet deer bullets. I personally think the 25/06 is one of the most overlooked rounds going. I'm the owner of my father-in-laws old M700 BDL 25 otter now and it's a real shooter. I've really backed off shooting it the last couple years. Trying to save some of the good in it for my kids. So,I may just have to pick up another "new" one to enjoy.
    Let Wales be, Let me be.

Online Dave T

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #14 on: 06:05 PM, 12/21/11 »
  • bozo69, when you said starting a conversation about what bullet is best would get folks upset you were right on.  I wasn't going to jump in here until your comments about the partition being "too hard" for white tail deer.  Oh do I disagree, I find the Nosler partition to be an age old time proven excellent bullet for deer the size of white tails.  Not the best at weight retention, but they expand and retain plenty weight and I find them deadly, of course this is just my experience with them and of course I could be wrong.
    Dave T

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.