Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6mm SLR  (Read 8150 times)

Offline jkohler

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
6mm SLR
« on: 09:14 AM, 12/04/11 »
  • Guys need some input weather to put a brake on a new build. It will be a 6mm SLR it should be in the 17 pound range.

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #1 on: 10:29 AM, 12/04/11 »
  • I don't know anything about the 6slr but I like brakes they just make it more manageable although some ranges, and some disciplines won't allow them, there not much fun for prone shooting as they blow dirt everywhere, what kind of shooting are you doing?
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline Preacher

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+93)
    • Ace Member
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #2 on: 08:45 AM, 12/05/11 »
  • A brake will keep that 17 # rifle from bouncing enough that you'll be able to see hits with it, if thats what your doing with it... other wise it's not really needed..
    Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline jkohler

• Site $$ Contributor
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #3 on: 09:35 AM, 12/05/11 »
  • Preacher
     That's really what I was thinking about. Being able to spot my shots and not bouncing off the target. I would rather not have a brake if I could get away with it.
     Have a good one

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #4 on: 10:18 AM, 12/05/11 »
  • jkohler,
    I have a 6*284 w/brake that that has less jump in the bags then my 6brx with no break, both rifles are in the 17lb range, 6*284 shooting a 107 SMK with 52.5 grains of H-4350 the 6brx a 107 SMK with 34.5 grains of Varget. So 18.0 grains mere powder with everything else mostly the same and less recoil, if your having trouble with the gun riding the bags and seeing your target after firing then I say brake it :)
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline jkohler

• Site $$ Contributor
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #5 on: 02:26 PM, 12/05/11 »
  • bozo699
    Thanks for the info. just starting this build and was seeing what other have found with there rifles. Am not a big fan of brakes for the noise from them.

Offline 1000yardstare

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #6 on: 05:03 PM, 12/05/11 »
  • If you are going to use your 6SLR in competition I would check your local rules as per brakes being allowed.

At the F Class practises I am involved with, we stick brakes down with the .50 BMG guys. Let them hammer each other with concusion and flying dust.

Brakes are not allowed in F Class competition north of the border on the off chance you might be thinking of taking in a Canadian event.

Bill
    Certified RSO (Civilian)
    Canadian Army ranges

Offline Julien

• Basic Member
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #7 on: 06:38 PM, 12/05/11 »
  • I just chambered my second SLR the first one I did weighs about 15 or 16 lbs and the other about 7lbs I dont find the recoil to be much more than a 22-250 shooting 75 grainers .
     Unless you realy hate recoil to the point it makes you twitch I wouldn't just my $.02.

Offline Biggame1

• Trade Count: (+4)
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #8 on: 08:14 AM, 12/07/11 »
  • Hey Julian;
    Ill be receiving my 6SLR next week and was wondering if you would share some of your load info. My 6SLR has a Bartlein 1:7.5 twist 5R barrel finished at 30"on a Savage action that has been blue printed and squared and bedded to the stock. It will be topped by a 12-42x56 NFS Benchrest scope. Thank you for any info given.

Forrest

Offline Dirtball

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+10)
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #9 on: 01:42 PM, 12/07/11 »
  • Hey Julian;
    Ill be receiving my 6SLR next week and was wondering if you would share some of your load info. My 6SLR has a Bartlein 1:7.5 twist 5R barrel finished at 30"on a Savage action that has been blue printed and squared and bedded to the stock. It will be topped by a 12-42x56 NFS Benchrest scope. Thank you for any info given.

Forrest

You should read this:
    http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html   
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek0102/

LOTS of good info.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Offline xdeano

6mm SLR
    « Reply #10 on: 10:10 PM, 12/09/11 »
  • yeah those really don't give you a starting load.  I taked with several guys on here who were running the 6slr, so i got a lot of great ideas but not really a starting load. 

I ended up deciding to go with either H1000 or H4831sc as a powder.  RCW suggests H4831sc.  After deciding on powder I just called up Hodgdon and asked the guy a recommended powder spread for a 243 with a given bullet.   He gave me the spread for both powders.  I'll be doing a load test here in a couple of weeks with those numbers.  Just remember that the 243 has a hair more capacity so just start low and work your way up.  If i get out to my truck tomorrow i'll post up those spreads from Hodgdon.  It'll be a good starting point for those who care.

xdeano

Offline xdeano

6mm SLR
    « Reply #11 on: 10:20 PM, 12/09/11 »
  • Screw it, i ran out to get those numbers really quick.  Here are the numbers;

These numbers are for a 105g bullet.
    H1000 43.0g - 46.0g (compressed).
    H4831sc 38.0g-41.0g.

These numbers came from Hodgdon for a 243 load.  watch for pressure signs as you get to the top of those numbers.  I've talked with several people that are getting great results with 43.5g H4831sc with a 105g bullet.  I know this powder charge is above recommended by 2.5g.  This is basically Lawyer proofing by Hodgdon, just keep that in the back of your head.

I'm thinking about starting with H1000 because it's a slightly cooler powder and my actually give a little better barrel life.

xdeano

Offline Julien

• Basic Member
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #12 on: 03:13 PM, 12/10/11 »
  • Hey Julian;

Forrest

I have had good luck with both H4831sc and H 1000 and 105's in a 1-8 but you will probably want to shoot 115's .

Offline kyreloader

• Trade Count: (+4)
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #13 on: 07:22 PM, 12/10/11 »
  • Hey Julian;

Forrest

I have had good luck with both H4831sc and H 1000 and 105's in a 1-8 but you will probably want to shoot 115's .

Not sure I would shoot the 115g bullets when the new Berger 105g Hybrids have a higher BC then either of the 115g bullets (Berger/DTACs).  Plus you can push the 105g faster.

Offline joemax

• Site $$ Contributor
    6mm SLR
    « Reply #14 on: 09:16 PM, 12/17/11 »
  • The 6 mm slr and 243 brk are the same are they not?

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.