Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: .280 Remington or 7mm-08  (Read 4475 times)

Offline gene pool

• Trade Count: (+17)
.280 Remington or 7mm-08
« on: 03:54 PM, 11/25/11 »
  • Gentlemen,

I wish to build a light hunting rifle in 7mm caliber.  It will be used for small game up to and including deer.  I have decided NOT to go with a magnum, but instead either with .280 Remington or 7mm-08.  I have both long and short actions ready to go and will use a Kreiger or Shilen barrel.

I like extreme accuracy in all my rifles.  With that, what are your experiences and suggestions regarding those two calibers?

Thank you,
    Gene   

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #1 on: 05:01 PM, 11/25/11 »
  • i have had 280, 280AI , 7-08, and 7-08Ai,

the 7=-08 is a great cartridge, and wanting a light rifle, go with the short action, 22 or 24'bbl, my choice, haveing messed around with a lot of them , is the following,

700 bdl, trued, hart #3 fluted, 24" 9 twixt, luepold 3.5x10x at 7 1/4 lbs in a hightech stock,
    the chamber is a 7-08 AI

140 sierra, and nosler bt's at 3025fps and shooting .300-.400"

what more would you need.

Bob

Offline alf

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+63)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #2 on: 05:16 PM, 11/25/11 »
  • I've been getting off the magnum bandwagon myself. My last one in 7STW went bye bye a couple of months ago.

I built a 7-08 with a fluted #3, 8 twist, in a McM Classic stock with Edge fill, 3,5-10 CDS in Talley Lightweights. Weighs in at 6 pounds, 12 ounces, and hammers deer with a 120 Ballistic Tip at 3175. I've got a target around here that put three of those into 1 3/4" at 500 yards.

I wouldn't change a thing........

Offline wboggs

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+64)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #3 on: 06:04 PM, 11/25/11 »
  • Another vote for the 7mm-08 either standard or improved. Light rifle, accurate, mild recoil, huge selection of quality bullets, absolutely deadly on deer. It is also easy to shoot from positions if you do that.
    Bill

Offline MrMajestic

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #4 on: 07:22 PM, 11/25/11 »
  • Both are great cartridges with great component availability. Required velocity with your predetermined bullet weight would be the deciding factor. I personally like the 180 gr. Berger so my choice would be the .280(AI?) with a 1in9" minimum twist.
    "That which does not destroy me, has made a huge tactical error"

Offline K22

• Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #5 on: 07:37 PM, 11/25/11 »
  • If you want a light rifle for game up to the size of deer, the 7mm-08 is the way to go. Very accurate and effective on this size game. Recoil is mild especially with the 140 and under bullets. I really like those short action rifles and for woods hunting, they're hard to beat.

The 280, by virtue of its higher powder capacity and velocity, is better suited for open country where long range shot are the norm although a skilled riflemen is not too handicapped with the 7mm-08. Watching these guys knock over rams at 500 meters with the 7mm-08 made a believer of me.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I'd lean towards the 7mm-08.

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #6 on: 06:28 AM, 11/26/11 »
  • i have to agree with K22, the short action is very desirable, helps keep weight down, and handling is great.

i have experience with 2 280AI 26" bbl and both shot in the .300's with 140's velocity 3140 not pushing, great open country rifles, handled 160s in the 2950 simular groups. weight 9lb+ - not a bad comment

HOWEVER- i wanted to build a lighter rifle, (following heart surgery) 7-08AI as discussed above and boy am i pleased, 2lb lighter, 3 inch shorter and i onlygave up 100fps with 140's, groups the same in the .300's,  using 10gr less powder.
    Bob

Offline necchi

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #7 on: 09:36 AM, 11/26/11 »
  • Another vote for the 7-08,

You said light,
    The 30-06 case isn't light.
    The 7-08 is a pleasure to load for and shoot. It's no slouch either.

Offline wboggs

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+64)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #8 on: 10:05 AM, 11/26/11 »
  • To put this in perspective: We are talking about a hunting rifle, not target.
    Look at Bob's 100fps difference at muzzle with his 140NBT load. THe 3100 fps loads slows a little faster than the 3000fps so at 300yds. it is 86fps faster. Drop with a 200yd zero is approximately 0.5" more at 300yds and even at 400yds. it is only 1.5" more.
    I would like to meet the hunter or animal than can tell the difference. To gain an advantage with a larger case, you must go up in bullet weight and the amount of a slower burning powder.
    The orginal post stated up to deer and again I would like to see a deer that falls any faster to a 175gr out of the .280 Ackley than the 140gr. out of the 7mm-08.
    Target shooting is a different game. Fractions of inches make the difference between a x or 10 or 10 and 9 and the conditions are at known ranges. Not exactly true in the field.
    Of course, you should choose what makes you happy. Just be aware that is what you are basing your decision on.
    Bill

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+67)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #9 on: 10:08 AM, 11/26/11 »
  • Another vote for the 7-08,

You said light,
    The 30-06 case isn't light.
    The 7-08 is a pleasure to load for and shoot. It's no slouch either.
    Necchi,
    I seem to agree with you a lot lately ;D another vote for the 7mm-08, I have three of them and love all three, it's a great little round ;)
    Wayne.
    Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
    Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline Rtheurer

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #10 on: 10:16 AM, 11/26/11 »
  •  I built my Light weight Mule Deer rifle off a Long Action I had. Went with the 280AI.  Its very light and handles great in, off hand and position shooting. Dont let that Long action persuade you away from it. I get ALOT of folks who pick it up for the first time comment on how light it is from what it looks like.

If I had a short action available at the time of the build I might have gone with 260 or the 7mm 08' AI though.

If you have both actions maybe you could do both? No point not having two great rifles in two great calibres right?

Best of luck
    R T
    XTC, Long Range Prone, Midrange Prone, shooting junkie.

Offline jbarnwell

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+43)
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #11 on: 10:57 AM, 11/26/11 »
  • Another vote for the 7mm-08, typically very accurate and mild mannered.  I have two factory rifles and one custom in this caliber, all three have been very easy to get to shoot well.  I stick with 120-140 grain bullets.  Good luck on your project.
    If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline wapiti25

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+50)
    • Ace Member
    .280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #12 on: 01:17 PM, 11/27/11 »
  • 7-08 no question

Offline P72

.280 Remington or 7mm-08
    « Reply #13 on: 01:59 PM, 11/28/11 »
  • I like both but the 1/2 inch difference in action length for the 7mm-08 makes for a noticably more handy rifle and as mentioned the practical trajectories are about the same. Another thought on the 7mm-08 is that the AI version might allow slightly more H4350 to be put into the case allowing for higher pressures and velocities with 140 gr bullets but this could be also accomplished with W760 or H414 in the standard version. If I had to use 160 - 175 gr bullets for hunting I would go with the .280.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.