Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Harrell's Tooling Turret Press?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline 00Scot

• Trade Count: (0)
Harrell's Tooling Turret Press?
« on: 08:34 PM, 11/20/11 »
  • I am interested in getting a new turret press to simplify my reloading process. I have always been very interested in the Harrell's Tooling Turret Press with the 4 head turret. But I also see that the Redding Turret press is about the same price and that the RCBS and Lyman are much cheaper.

I also really like the Forester Co-ax and its ease of use without having to screw in each die for each step. Just being able to snap them in is a big plus for me. But I would still have to change each dies for each step. With the turret I just spin the turret and go to work. I have always used Foresters Micrometer seeter and full length dies and have had great success with em. So I trust Forester for my reloading needs. I just wish they had a turret press.

My main draw to the turret press is being able to set the press up once and never have to adjust it again when I change calibers. just have to change turrets. That is the biggest plus for why I want a Turret press.

I'm more interested in accuracy and simplifying my reloading process then saving a hundred bucks. So I would like the best press for the money. If you had around $250 or so to spend on a Turret press where would you put your money and why? Why one press over another?

Or which Turret press do you currently own and why did you choose that one over the other options.

Offline brian427cobra

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #1 on: 07:02 AM, 11/21/11 »
  • I use a Co-Ax, I have no regrets at all, in the long run if you reload a lot of calibers the cost of shell holders adds up, I reload in my spare bedroom, the spent primer retention system on the Co-Ax keeps my wife from B$%^&hing too much, I use a RCBS Partner press at the range, I can tell you with out a doubt the Co-Ax has a lot more mechanical advantage vs a traditional press.

Offline spclark

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+16)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 08:29 AM, 11/21/11 »
  • I have two Rock Chuckers for sizing or other brass-prep operations, my Harrell's turret's saved for seating (sometimes for crimping too if I'm loading pistol ammo) mostly. I have four 4-hole discs, my dies stay set the way I like them, takes maybe a minute to swap out a disc including the time to change shellholder. It's small & light enough to pack along to the range if I'm in need of some serious load development work too. I'd recommend one to anyone thinking about buying one with no hesitation.
    "A politician has the only job in the world where he can fail and still get paid."
    - Louis Zamperini

Offline TX65

• Trade Count: (+2)
      • Beyond556
    « Reply #3 on: 09:37 AM, 11/21/11 »
  • I own two Harrell's 4 Die Turret presses which I use for resizing and seating and two single stage Harrell's presses that I now use for expanding and bullet pointing.

Only non-Harrell's press I own is a Redding Ultra Mag which I use for forming large cases when I am doing wildcats.   Otherwise, I use the Harrell's presses for everything.

In addition to being able to clamp to a bench at home,  I often take them to the range and do load development.   The Harrell's make this process easy since you don't have to bolt them to a work surface.     
    Arne B
    F-Open 300, 600 & 1000 yards

Offline 00Scot

« Reply #4 on: 10:08 PM, 11/21/11 »
  • I have four 4-hole discs, my dies stay set the way I like them, takes maybe a minute to swap out a disc including the time to change shellholder.

That is my way of thinking exactly. I really like the idea of having to set the dies up once and never tinker with em again. Just change turrets for different calibers.

Offline 00Scot

« Reply #5 on: 10:13 PM, 11/21/11 »
  • Does anyone own or have used both the Redding and the Harrell's turret presses that can give me a honest comparison between them? Is there a reason to choose one turret over the other?

I just view the Harrell's press as being made with more tight tolerances in mind. Since Harrell's seems to cater more towards the accuracy crowd  I kind of view that press as being capable of creating more concentric and consistently accurate ammo. but that is just my thoughts. I've never tried either of em so they are based on reputation alone.

Can anyone verify or debunk that line of thinking?

Offline 00Scot

« Reply #6 on: 10:33 PM, 11/21/11 »
  • Since I'm getting back into reloading and planning on loading a fair amount of rifle ammo I am looking into picking up a powered case prep station type set up. Can anyone recommend one? I've seen the Gracey trimmer, the RCBS and others. But I've never really researched em before. Can anyone give me some pointers on which one to take a look at? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money on the top of the line one. But I am interested to see what you all use and why you chose that one over the others.

Offline mdavis78102

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+17)
    « Reply #7 on: 02:14 PM, 11/22/11 »
  • Absolutely love my Harrell's presses.

I made mistake of ordering a couple of the three hole turrets. Wished I had ordered all four hole. Nothing mechanically wrong with three hole. it's just on the four, you can set up dies for two different calibers on one turret.

And, the Harrell's brothers are some really nice guys ta boot!
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk!

Lifetime Member of the "Half-Moon Club."

Offline 00Scot

« Reply #8 on: 11:43 AM, 12/05/11 »
  • I have decided to go with the Harrell's Press. I know I can't go wrong with it. Plus with it's quick attachment base I could take it to the range if I needed to work up some loads.

I remember hearing that there is a Die manufacturers that will make you a custom die if you send them 5 fired cases or something like that. Does anyone know which manufacturers does this? And can anyone that has done it tell me more about this please?

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.