Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Berger Hybrids.. Jump or Jam?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline TX65

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Beyond556
Berger Hybrids.. Jump or Jam?
« on: 01:58 PM, 11/16/11 »
  • Lots of new Berger Hybrid bullets out and wanted to get a consensus of opinion on where people are seeing the accuracy when it comes to seating depth to the lands.

Whether you are shooting a 6 Dasher, 7mm SAUM, 308 Win or 300 WSM, please tell

Are you Jumping, Jamming or just touching the lands?

If Jumping or Jamming,, what distance are you finding the accuracy?

Of course, tell what cartridge and barrel.

Appreciate you response

Only hybrid I have tested has been the 30 cal 230 in a 30-338 Win Mag and have been shooting at .001" off the lands, but am going to play with seating it back or forward.

Arne B
    F-Open 300, 600 & 1000 yards

Offline NateG

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #1 on: 02:24 PM, 11/16/11 »
  • 155 Hybrids in a .308 Palma gun. (2011 Fullbore chamber, if you care)

I've only tried them jumping .030" on the recommendation of Jerry Tierney, and have seen no need to try anything else. Tried three charge weights, and the middle one was at .110", and 3005fps with a sd under 4. Yeah, that load will do just fine (and has!) for shooting with irons.  ;D

Offline Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+26)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 02:27 PM, 11/16/11 »
  • I shoot 230's in a .308, 180's in a .284 Shehane and 105's in a 6BR. They are all jumped, .015, .015 and .010, respectively. Performance is excellent.
    Sleepygator

Offline wboggs

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+61)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 03:45 PM, 11/16/11 »
  • Read your post with interest. Have some 6mm 105s to load in a XC and will start with a .02-.01 jump.
    Thanks for the info.
    Bill

Offline Outdoorsman

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 04:02 PM, 11/16/11 »
  • Lots of new Berger Hybrid bullets out and wanted to get a consensus of opinion on where people are seeing the accuracy when it comes to seating depth to the lands.

With all due respect, the only opinion you need ... is that of your barrel. All the others are meaningless. Each barrel's harmonics are different, regardless of the bullet/cartridge marriage. For the best accuracy, first tune with the bullet/brass/powder/primer combination, then fine tune with neck tension and seating depth. Seating to a consensus does not produce accuracy.

Offline TX65

• Beyond556
    « Reply #5 on: 10:38 AM, 11/17/11 »

With all due respect, the only opinion you need ... is that of your barrel. All the others are meaningless. Each barrel's harmonics are different, regardless of the bullet/cartridge marriage. For the best accuracy, first tune with the bullet/brass/powder/primer combination, then fine tune with neck tension and seating depth. Seating to a consensus does not produce accuracy.

Very true that each barrel has its own opinion, but it does give a bit of insight to what other people are having success with across a range of calibers and cartridges.   

If the new Hybrid ogive designs do have a pattern of performing within a certain reference position to the lands (.030" to .015" from the lands for example) it does provide information that is valuable and can guide others reducing development time. 

No different than people seeing a pattern of other bullets like VLD's generating their best accuracy .005" to .015" into the lands and incorporating that knowledge base into their development testing different powders and primers.

Arne B

Offline TonyR

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+55)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 11:12 AM, 11/17/11 »
  • So far, the 180 7mm Hybrid is the only one I've tried.  It likes to be jumped about 0.010 inches but seems to shoot about the same out to 0.020 inches.  Beyond that, the group starts to open up vertically.
    TonyR

Consistent long range accuracy is the sum of many things, some large and some small.

Offline 4xforfun

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 05:02 PM, 11/17/11 »
  • Good post......I am going to be diving into the hybird zone with 6mm, 7mm, 30 cal and 338's in the very near future....keep it coming!!!!

The point about all barrels being different is very true, but there will be a trend, like 90% of the VLD shooters jam their bullets to one degree or another.  What will the trend be for the new generation of Berger's ??!!

"I just gots to know"  (aka Dirty Harry)

Offline TX65

• Beyond556
    « Reply #8 on: 09:14 PM, 11/17/11 »
  • so far it looks like .010" to .020" jump is common for good accuracy with one going as far as .030" jump.

Very helpful information and while we have only a handful of posts so far, the pattern is consistent that Hybrid's prefer jump to being jammed. 
    Arne B

Offline kitsap

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #9 on: 09:27 PM, 11/17/11 »
  • Very helpful information and while we have only a handful of posts so far, the pattern is consistent that Hybrid's prefer jump to being jammed.

Arnie,

I agree with you about the information being helpful.  The more data points the better.  Thanks for asking the question.

DougF
    Kitsap

Offline Busdriver

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Ace Member
    • 308 - 6 Dasher - Straight 284, Love 'em
    « Reply #10 on: 09:39 PM, 11/17/11 »
  • 308 Win, 200 grain hybrid (did testing for Berger) ran best at a .010 jump. At .020 it was pretty close to the same, and I didn't have room to shove it in the case any deeper than that without pushing the bearing surface past the donut area.

In reality, I think that the bullet would also run well jammed, but being an F-class shooter, I like being able to eject a loaded round without spilling powder. For that reason, I didn't try it with the hybrid - it shot too darn well without having to do that.

F/TR Mid-range HM, F-Open - It shoots!

Offline DazzH

• Basic Member
    « Reply #11 on: 03:30 AM, 11/18/11 »
  • I'm part way through a 300 Rem saum build and would like to have the reamer made to suit the new hybrid's, The two I am looking at are the 155 & 168gr. I'm having no luck finding info on dimensions for these. Is anyone able to help me with the OAL, base to ogive and shank length on these bullets.

Offline dreever

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #12 on: 05:12 AM, 11/18/11 »
  • 105 Hybrid in a 6BR .010 jump works for me.

Danny

Offline larryk40c

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+50)
    « Reply #13 on: 06:21 AM, 11/18/11 »
  • In my dasher the 105 hybrids just touching the lands shoots great for me, have not tryed jumping yet due to the accuracy I'm getting. 28" 8 twist shilen.
              Larry
    Life is short, Enjoy it

Offline Shynloco

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    • You can lead a horse to water, but ........
    « Reply #14 on: 07:20 AM, 11/18/11 »
  • TX65,
       IMO, pay close attention to what Outdoorsman wrote.  I have had excellent results in my .308 from Sierra 168 gr HPBT's for years dating back to the early 80's.  I recently tried (for 4 weeks straight at the range) some 155's using various depth settlings (.010 changes) all the way from SAAMI specs down to touching the lands using three different proven powders (RE15, Varget & 4895)  The results were the worst that rifle has ever shot.   Apparently my barrel simply doesn't like those bullets because as soon as I went back to 168's, she was a target shooter again.  BTW, my barrel twist is 1:10.  Like was said consensus means nothing from rifle to rifle.  Your barrel will tell you all you need to know.  I hope you have better luck than I did should you choose to go with 155's.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.