Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 222 Remington Powder and Loads  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Slowshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
222 Remington Powder and Loads
« on: 04:11 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • Any day now, I will be taking possession of my custom .222 Rem. rifle being built by Russ Haydon.  It is a BAT action, Krieger barrel, Jewell trigger, Kelbly stock benchrest special.  It will be sporting a Leupold 36X target scope I have been saving for it.  I decided on .222 for several reasons, including barrel life, inherent accuracy and mild recoil.  While I am no high level competition shooter, accuracy is still everything to me.

I have experience in handloading for .220 Swift but I know little about optimum powders and loads for a .222.  I would appreciate any information on handloads for accuracy in this cartridge that  members of this forum experienced in .222 Rem. are willing to offer.

Offline JamesinAsheville

• Trade Count: (+13)
    « Reply #1 on: 04:17 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • If ya got a 12 twist barrel try 52gr SMK and 22.9gr of V133
    You might start lower till you find what it likes
    Fed 205's work very well with this load.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.~

Offline Slowshot

• Basic Member
    « Reply #2 on: 04:51 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • Thanks,

That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

Offline LawrenceHanson

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 05:08 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • I believe you would be very pleased with a 222 Remington target rifle. The recoil and blast are mild.  It is easy to load for, and good components are readily available.

In my experience the 222 Remington is at its best with light bullets at high velocity.  At short range (100 to 200 yards) high velocity light bullet loads appear to be less sensitive to wind conditions than the traditional 52/53 grain bullets.

I shot my fathers 40X 222 Rangemaster for about three years. During that time I tried many factory bullets, including the Sierra 52/53 grain bullets as well as the Hornady 40 grain V-Max bullet.  The Hornady V-Max was the most consistently accurate bullet when it was pushed at high velocity.  I tried many powders and found that a compressed load of H4198 (pre-Xtreme) and the 40 grain V-Max was the best load of the bunch. This load ran at approximately 3,650 fps. It was perfectly safe in my Dads gun using Lapua cases and Federal primers. The heavier bullets shot well during calm conditions but the 40 grain bullet was consistently superior when the wind was blowing.  One day I will inherit this rifle and will use it as a “fun gun” for informal target shooting. 

Best wishes,       

LE Hanson

Offline MrMajestic

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #4 on: 05:43 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • If ya got a 12 twist barrel try 52gr SMK and 22.9gr of V133
    You might start lower till you find what it likes
    Fed 205's work very well with this load.
    What he said but add a Lapua case and change the bullet to a 52 grain Berger target. Runs in my 1 in 14" twist.
    "That which does not destroy me, has made a huge tactical error"

Offline booter

• Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 06:31 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • I've had very good results with the 50 Bergers and either N-133 or H322, Lapua cases in my CZ 222 14 twist. Could not get a decent group with H4198 no matter how hard I tried and anything heavier than 53 gr just would not group consistently.

Love to shoot the triple deuce.

Offline FryeGuy

• Trade Count: (+27)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #6 on: 07:04 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • gotta love the 222.  I just picked one up & so far I love it.  So far mine is shooting best with the sierra 52hpbt with imr4198, and the 52HP berger varmint bullet, with N133.  I have had mixed results with the sierra matchkings in the past when hunting varmints in a .223, so I really hesitate, in fact I won't use it hunting anything.  The bergers have a great reputation hunting, and the accuracy is great.  mine is a standard weight barrel in a rem700bdl.  they are 14twist.  I had really bad luck with anything heavier than the 52grain bullets. 

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+93)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 07:12 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • One of my most consistantly accurate loads for my 1-14 222's ( have 2 chamberings) is the one listed on the Hodgdon H322 powder can label: 22.2 grs. of H322, any high quality 50 to 53 gr. bullet. Both of mine like a .020" jump. 53's ( Sierra # 1400) just a little less accurate than almost any good 50 gr. Hornady 50 gr. V-Max my favorite for g'hogs. Another excellent load is the old standard of 20.5 of IMR 4198.
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline K22

• Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 08:44 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • IMR 4198 with Remington 7 1/2 primers and 52 grain match bullets is a good place to start. Never saw one that didn't shoot under 1/2 minute with this load with a standard factory twist rate.

Shot one for years, it's a great caliber, extremely accurate, pleasant to shoot, and will punch teeny tiny holes in paper, and barrel life is very long. My Remington 700 had over 5,000 rounds through it and was still shooting a little over 1/2 minute. Shot tons of groundhogs with it and out to 200 yards it as good as anything I ever used.

I rebarrelled mine in 223 only because I wanted to reduce the number of calibers I was loading for since I'm primarily a varmint hunter.

Offline H2OBUG

• Trade Count: (+13)
    « Reply #9 on: 08:49 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • I used H4198 (don't think it is made anymore) and a Hornady 52gr BTHP--CCI SR primer
    Never tried anything else
    If it jams—force it –-if it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Offline 5spd

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #10 on: 09:18 PM, 09/16/11 »
  • 23g blc2 with a 50g bullet is what I ran for 10yrs in my rem 788 .222 bolt gun, very accurate and about 3200 fps if I recall.
    I aint fast.....but my aim is Deadly!!

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+93)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #11 on: 06:15 AM, 09/17/11 »
  • " I used H4198( don't think it is made anymore)".  I just bought a 1# can last week at my gunsmith's. Fresh off the UPS truck.
    Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline Gary in MD

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+21)
    « Reply #12 on: 06:32 AM, 09/17/11 »
  • My 222 was put together by Shilen, on a remington action. It shoots bugholes with a case full of IMR 4895 and Sierra 52 gr Matchkings or Bergers. I mostly use it for groundhogs in areas where I don't want to make a lot of noise, in which case I use varmint bullets.
    Gary

Offline 40X Guy

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+181)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #13 on: 07:10 AM, 09/17/11 »
  • I second the IMR-4895 powder, I ran anywhere from 23.5 to 24.0 grains in lapua brass with a Fed 205 GMM primer and Sierra 52 MK. It will shoot absolute bugholes all day long. I love the .222 and please keep us informed of your progress. You should be able to chase down a few PPC's and BR's with your rifle.  :)

Frank

Offline GerryM

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #14 on: 07:51 AM, 09/17/11 »
  •   20 .5 to 21 grs of  IMR  4198 use  to be our match laod with a 52 sierra in a 14 twist.
        Work it up from 19.5 grs to find the best load for you.  Usually we had the bullets missing the lands,   The brass was neck turned  remington,  Primers were 7 1/2 remington or CCI br 4     

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.