Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 80 gr. A-Max?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline rhbrink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Basic Member
80 gr. A-Max?
« on: 07:15 AM, 08/14/11 »
  • I'm about to get a 8" twist barrel that I will put on a Savage .223 and have a box of 80 gr. A-Max bullets that a freind gave me. I was wondering if the 8" twist is enough to keep the 80 gr. bullets stable out o 600 yards?

Thanks, Richard

Offline Johnboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Ace Member
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #1 on: 10:23 AM, 08/14/11 »
  • yeap,and by Hornady the newest loading book ( 2011 )shows a 1:9 can.but haven't tied them yet.been getting really good results with a 69 ncc.
    shooting can be done every day but shooting one ragged hole is something one needs to work on

Offline Catfish

80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #2 on: 06:28 PM, 08/15/11 »
  • They should shoot real well in your rifle. If your not getting the accuracy you think you should, try seating them closer to the lands. I have found that the long bullets usually shoot far better close to the lands. If you get into the lands presure will go up fast so be real carefull and I would use liter loads when seating out, especially if your relitively new to loading.
    Catfish

Offline rhbrink

• Basic Member
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #3 on: 05:41 AM, 08/17/11 »
  • Thanks for the replys I had sent off a Email to the Hornady teck and got a reply form  them yesterday saying that the 8" twist would be great for the 80 gr. A-Max. Although I have been reloading for almost 50 years this my first attempt at a fast twist .22.  Can't wait to see how all of this works out. The box of 80 Gr. A-Max is from a friend that bought them to use in his 12" twist Contender for deer hunting. When I ask how did they shoot he said "don't know never hit paper with them"  I found that somewhat funny and don't think much of the .223 for deer hunting either. I know that it can be done but there are just too many better choices around.

Richard

Offline BAT man

• Trade Count: (+7)
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #4 on: 06:04 PM, 08/28/11 »
  • i tried the 75g amax in a 1-9 barrel and they would not stabilize so i would assume the 80 would be similar.
    When I die I want to go peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like the people in his car.

Offline Taildrag15X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+37)
    • Ace Member
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #5 on: 07:12 AM, 08/31/11 »
  • 1-8" is the almost perfect rate for .224, 80 gr. AMAX, and is the recommended load by some Match Rifle builders (CLE for one) I've used them before with with Varget, N-135 & old reliable R-15 with great results.  Brass weight (maybe I should say capacity) and primer selection are important, depending on brass/powder combo I use either CCI-450 or Fed. 205M.

I've never had a problem with 75 AMAXES either in a 1-9" twist, even won a State F/TR Title with them.  I have even used Sierra 77 gr. HPBT Match Kings in the the mentioned barrel without any issues.

I know I referenced CLE but, my results are with bolt rifles.
    Mike

F-Class High Master

Offline FilippoMo

80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #6 on: 03:32 AM, 09/01/11 »
  • i tried the 75g amax in a 1-9 barrel and they would not stabilize so i would assume the 80 would be similar.
    What barrel have you got,my son Winchester model 70 with 1 in 9" shoots them very well,no keyholing or sign of instability
    sincerely
    Filippo
    none

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #7 on: 08:18 PM, 09/02/11 »
  • Out what yardage are you shooting them in that 9 twist bbl?

Offline Taildrag15X

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+37)
    • Ace Member
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #8 on: 06:57 AM, 09/03/11 »
  • Out what yardage are you shooting them in that 9 twist bbl?

I only ever used a 1-9" twist Savage 112BT between 300-600 yds., but I'll tell you that the 75 gr. Amax & 77 gr. Sierra MK's worked great pushed by Varget in the 24.50 gr. range over a Fed. 205M primer.......Winchester/Hornady brass.
    Mike

F-Class High Master

Offline FroggyOne2

• Trade Count: (+24)
    • Ace Member
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #9 on: 11:27 AM, 09/04/11 »
  • Yeah, I use the 75 gr AMax in my .223.. I have been killed at 1K and have shot great scores at 1K. Best is 196-8X, but I wil endevor to say that that is not the norm. But at 600, the rifle with this load that I am using, is a monster of a fun rifle to shoot with several cleans.. it is my fave rifle to shoot.

Offline MrMajestic

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    80 gr. A-Max?
    « Reply #10 on: 06:46 PM, 09/04/11 »
  • Yeah, I use the 75 gr AMax in my .223.. I have been killed at 1K and have shot great scores at 1K. Best is 196-8X, but I wil endevor to say that that is not the norm. But at 600, the rifle with this load that I am using, is a monster of a fun rifle to shoot with several cleans.. it is my fave rifle to shoot.
    What he said. I run the 75's in front of VV N-140 in a 1:9 out to 600 yds. Little more wind sensitive but a lot less recoil!
    "That which does not destroy me, has made a huge tactical error"

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.