Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: HAs anyone trued a Savage action?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Ace Member
HAs anyone trued a Savage action?
« on: 09:50 AM, 07/31/11 »
  • Most people who build off of a Savage action don't true the action like the Rem 700 guys, citing the floating bolt head. 

I've built a couple Savages and haven't done any work to the actions. 

For the next build will be using a long action with a DBM, debating whether it's worth having the action looked at or not. 

Offline ChipEckardt

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+2)
    « Reply #1 on: 04:16 PM, 07/31/11 »
  • I had my action timed and trued and Evo trigger installed.  I only shoot F-Class and 6.5 x .284.  My 600 yard average score went up by 3.  I am a believer, but cannot say how much as the trigger and how much was the action work.

Chip

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #2 on: 04:36 PM, 07/31/11 »
  • Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind my asking- who did the work?

Offline NorCalMikie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #3 on: 05:36 PM, 07/31/11 »
  • My thinking is a "before and after" test. Same exact load and OAL with the action untrued then repete with the trued action and check results? You would have to be sure of the same headspace when reinstalling the barrel. My thinking is the accuracy is in the barrel?
    OZ never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Offline ChipEckardt

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+2)
    « Reply #4 on: 07:45 PM, 07/31/11 »
  • My thinking is a "before and after" test. Same exact load and OAL with the action untrued then repete with the trued action and check results? You would have to be sure of the same headspace when reinstalling the barrel. My thinking is the accuracy is in the barrel?

Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply.  You wait months (no matter what they tell you) but it was worth it for me.  I had Fred do two of my rifles.  Brux makes a darn fine barrel as well.

Chip

Offline WNYMark

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Basic Member
    « Reply #5 on: 10:16 AM, 08/01/11 »
  • believe it when they say you wait months from SSS. I have had my Savage smithed by Fred. Great job, not bad on price, but boy do you wait...and wait...
    just for info:
     I had it timed & trued, fluted bolt, trigger install.

Offline bluealtered

« Reply #6 on: 04:52 PM, 08/01/11 »
  • Fred does very good work, and yes he is so backed up on orders that he has quit advertising on savageshooters.com where he is also a mod. You might go to savageshooters to see how the savage owners there feel about t&t on their actions. blue
    Save America first.

Offline NorCalMikie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #7 on: 06:12 PM, 08/01/11 »
  • I know that Fred only does Savage work and no telling how many actions he's T&Td. Over the years I've only seen one person that wasn't happy with his T&T work. (Some people are "never" pleased ::)) Never heard any more about it or the final outcome.
    My rigs may sit for 6 months at a time without being fired but I find it hard to turn them loose to get any special work done. ;)
    Had the chance to get a T&T job but never took them up on it.
    He will do them in batches so they may sit idle for a while till he gets enough to make a run. IMHO, still worth the wait if that's what you're after. Never had one of mine done so maybe I'am missing something? ;)

Offline mattri

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 10:01 PM, 08/01/11 »
  • Thanks for the replies.

Not looking to lighten the bolt lift, or improve the feel of it, just looking for an accuracy advantage.

A back to back comparison between a stock action, and one that has been trued would be awesome- if anyone knows about any information like that please post links etc.

For now the issue is: if I have a bone stock Savage action that isn't abnormally out of true, and I build around it vs having the action trued first, what is the difference in accuracy?  Thanks, Matt. 

Offline NorCalMikie

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #9 on: 11:39 PM, 08/01/11 »
  • Matt: Not sure what your expectations of accuracy are but, I'll go back to my original thinking. The accuracy is in the barrel.
    (and loads) Once the bolt is closed, it's up to the barrel and ammo to do the rest. Taking in to consideration that the trigger puller knows what he's/she's doing. ::) Working up loads is a BIG part of the deal. If you shoot long enough, you'll know when you pull a shot. :-[ The Savage has a floating bolt head that will align itself to the back end of the barrel. If the action is out of true, how can you tell? It's a Savage. Go shoot it.  ;D
    I've got untrued Savage actions with "aftermarket" barrels (and nothing else done to them)  that will shoot bugholes all day long if I've got the right loads and can hold still long enough to get off a good shot. (5 shot group,off the bench from 100 yards that you can cover with a dime on a regular basis.) Some days are better than others. ;)
    If you like the idea of T&T, shoot your rig for record  then send it out and get it done. I think the biggest part of T&T is an easier bolt lift?
    You can have a bunch of $$ invested in the slickest-coolest looking rig you'll ever see but if you don't know how to shoot it or make good ammo, it's just a good looking rifle.  8)
    Kinda like hot rods. How fa$t do you want to go?
    Your $$ could be better  spent working on "accurate" loads and lots of trigger time. And I'am no expert so take this for what you paid for it. ;) JMHO, Mike.

Offline bluealtered

« Reply #10 on: 07:33 AM, 08/02/11 »
  • As Mike stated, "it's a savage" go shoot it. I have two tactical savages both are old 110's, one has been t&t'd one hasn't.  I can't tell the difference between the two as far as accuracy or smoothness of action. The reason the non t&t feels the same as the t&t is (to me) the fact that the bolt has been cycled so many times that it feels like it has been t&t'd, it's just as smooth.

Both of those rifles are capable of shooting one ragged hole groups from 100yds with a bipod. The only varible is my doing my part, sometimes i can and sometimes i can't. I would have to agree that it's in the loads and barrel for the most part with a savage. The fact that you darn near have a front rest thats a vice and a 2oz trigger play a role as well, and lets be honest here, the person who wins their br match on any given day is ... the person who simply had the best day.

The next action or barreled action i buy i will simply have sent to fred and not me, that way it's "out of sight, out of mind". It's not like we only have one rifle to use. blue
    Save America first.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.