Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: hodgdon's superformance powder  (Read 11714 times)

Online lpreddick

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Ace Member
hodgdon's superformance powder
« on: 08:14 AM, 07/29/11 »
  • i am a sucker when new powders come on the market.  rel 17 is my best discovery used in my 6x47 lapua, 80 gr fowler bullets  as wll as a 243 ackley.  anybody tried the above?  the lable list only 22-250, 243 and a 30 cal.  burn rate seems to be around h4831 and winsupreme 780.  it's a flake type so you can really fill a case...40+ gr in a 22-250, 60 gr bullet...3600+ fps!  i suspect it should do well in larger cases like 243 ackley, 257 roberts, 30-06.  i'll try some in a  22-250, 60gr and appreciate anybody's experience.  thanks.[/quote] if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!
    if i can see you, i can touch you. BANG!

Offline Hack

• Trade Count: (0)
    « Reply #1 on: 08:27 AM, 07/29/11 »
  • I have tried this powder and like it so far.  I developed a load for my 270 wsm with it using a comparrison.  They have data listed for a 300 wsm so I looked at the 270 wsm vs. 300 wsm across poweders with a similar burn rate.  I graphed the data and took the equation from the line and used it to create a load chart for the 270 wsm with this powder started low and worked up and the estimate was spot on.  I am shooting 130 gr at 3400 fps with no signs of pressure and good accuracy from my hunting rifle.  I also used this powder in my 6mm AI, I am getting 3800 fps with good accuracy from a pretty mild load, I could probably get over 4000 fps but I dont see the need to.  Give it Try and let us hear what you think of it.

thanks,

Hak

Offline ShaneG.

• Trade Count: (+1)
    « Reply #2 on: 12:18 AM, 07/30/11 »
  • I shot some in my 22-250 with 55g accutips and got just over 4000fps and the primers were just starting to look a little bit flattened.

Shot a few load in my 260ai with 140g hpbt but have not got back to loading for it.

Offline bheadboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Ace Member
    hodgdon's superformance powder -update
    « Reply #3 on: 03:42 PM, 07/30/11 »
  • Update - I have spoken with tech at Hodgden today and they say the powder is VERY VERY  case sensitive, and does not work in anything other than those stated in their data to improve preformance, at best it will equal some ofthe other powder loads they list, in some cases is does not even equal otherpowders.

have a 22-250 with a 13 twist hart and normally shoot 55sbk at 3725 with h414, i wonder if with this new powder the 63 or 70 would stabalize, any thoughts?

Bob
    « Last Edit: 05:26 PM, 08/01/11 by bheadboy »

Online Dave T

• Site $$ Contributor
    • Trade Count: (+7)
    « Reply #4 on: 09:57 PM, 07/31/11 »
  • I tried Superformance powder in my 300 WSM with 150 grain bullets and achieved the velocities as advertised @ 3400 fps with 74.0 grain charge out of a 24" barrel.  Pressures were no worse then with H4350 (previous load), actually pressures seemed less.  I am waiting for data on 270 and 7MM WSM if it comes out.  Also tried ReL 17 and it is as advertised with great velocities in 7MM WSM, 6MM Remington with 65 grain VMax bullets and even in 300 WSM, great powder also.  This is over an Oehler 35P.
    Dave T

Offline 338Lapua

« Reply #5 on: 10:09 PM, 07/31/11 »
    have a 22-250 with a 13 twist hart and normally shoot 55sbk at 3725 with h414, i wonder if with this new powder the 63 or 70 would stabalize, any thoughts?

My 1x12 twist 22-250AI will only just stabilise a 65 gr Sierra GK. I tried a 69 gr SMKs and they  went through my target sideways

Offline ShaneG.

« Reply #6 on: 02:16 PM, 08/01/11 »
  • My 12 twist 22/250 would stabilize 69smk's,but got a hold of some 69g PRVI's and they went through target on their side. they were just a tiny bit longer and that was all it took.

Offline cummins cowboy

• Basic Member
      • Most Wanted Disaster Services
    « Reply #7 on: 06:37 PM, 08/07/11 »
  • RL 17 does really push the bullets, but I was wondering if its just me or what, but the powder seems really edgy and sensitive, as I load upward I like to see an incremental increase in speeds, this is harder to see with RL 17 loads, haven't tried superformance yet though.   
    Most Wanted Disaster Services

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    « Reply #8 on: 06:36 PM, 08/08/11 »
  •   burn rate seems to be around h4831 and winsupreme 780. 

The burn rate charts that I've looked at seem to have it in the H-414, ww760, 4350, N550 burn rate area.

I've found it VERY useful in the 6xc, 243, 6.5-06, 22-250, and it even shows some promise in the 220 Swift I have.  It does seem to have its distractors though.... I've read where that it is temp sensitive, gives wide ES, not accurate, and ya da ya da.... but it is definately worth a try.

I shot it for the last 3 weeks (and it has been in the 90's a lot of those days)  straight both in 'chuck rifles and in match in my bench gun.  I have a good pile of chucks and some handsome targets to show for it.  Good stuff and worth a try in my experience with it.  WD

Offline ghem

• Basic Member
    « Reply #9 on: 08:34 AM, 01/30/12 »
  • I have tried this powder and like it so far.  I developed a load for my 270 wsm with it using a comparrison.  They have data listed for a 300 wsm so I looked at the 270 wsm vs. 300 wsm across poweders with a similar burn rate.  I graphed the data and took the equation from the line and used it to create a load chart for the 270 wsm with this powder started low and worked up and the estimate was spot on.  I am shooting 130 gr at 3400 fps with no signs of pressure and good accuracy from my hunting rifle.  I also used this powder in my 6mm AI, I am getting 3800 fps with good accuracy from a pretty mild load, I could probably get over 4000 fps but I dont see the need to.  Give it Try and let us hear what you think of it.

thanks,

Hak

Hak if your still around what was the loads you tried in 270 WSM.  looks like 60gr would be a start load and 67gr would be a hot load.  I'm getting some really impressive accuracy 1/2"MOA with AA3100 with 130 gr SST and 1/2" MOA with w780 and 140gr accubond but velocities are in the 3100 range.  Would like to get at least 3300.

Thanks
    ghem

Offline 264win

• Basic Member
    « Reply #10 on: 11:56 AM, 05/02/12 »
  • I got the Superperformance powder to do almost what Reloader 17 will do in the .22/250 Ackley with 60 gr bullets.  It is also comparable in 55 gr B-tips which have the least drop at 500 yards in my 13 twist barrels.

VV N-550, Hunter and Reloader 17 all produce excellent velocities with 55 gr B-tip. 

I coat my bullets with HBN and that has increased the probability of first shot hits with a clean barrel. 
    Recoil?  It spun me around twice and gave me a bloody nose.

Offline Bad Habit

• Basic Member
    « Reply #11 on: 06:46 AM, 05/04/12 »
  • What primers are you guys using with the Superformance powderder? I generally wait a few years before trying a new powder but saw it on the shelf last week and got a pound. I have taken their advertised velocities with a grain of salt but you guys seem to be impressed so that is good enough for me. Load testing for the .300 WSM may not continue until this fall. Working on getting 2 .22/250's rebarrelled right now so I will try it when they get back.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.