Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Help with Redding Type S Bushing Full Length Sizer Die 6mm BR  (Read 2934 times)

Offline LR_Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
I got this die and I tried to FL size using 0.268" bushing, but it won't resize whole neck any ideas why?
when I pull it back from the die I have to apply lots of force to get it out... Brass is lubed with imperial, body and inside of the neck.

scratches on the brass are from trying to chamber it, I think its headspace its to hard to turn.

« Last Edit: 12:07 AM, 06/28/11 by LR_Shooter »

Offline ridgeway

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Ace Member
It's the way the die is made.  Nothing to worry about. Some guys prefer to adjust the bashing to sized even less neck area.
Chuck
chuck at ridgewaybodies dot com
Custom Savage Bolt Handles

Offline LR_Shooter

so it should bump shoulders back way before, because I was thinking it will after whole neck is sized?
« Last Edit: 11:07 PM, 06/27/11 by LR_Shooter »

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Ace Member
so it should bump shoulders back, because I'm thinking it will after all neck is sized?
LR Shooter,
The bushing has nothing to do with bumping the shoulder, as a matter of a fact you can remove the bushing and still bump the shoulder with the die. I personally don't like the fact that the bushing won't size all the neck if you want to. make sure you don't have the bushing screwed down tight as it could cause concentricity problems, put the bushing and turn down stop until snug, then back off about 1/4 turn. best of luck to you.
Wayne.
Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Hawaii's Firearm and 2a forum
I would recommend the competition shell holder set to do your head space.
Just follow the directions till you get the sizing you need.

Start with the thickest and work your way down till you get the case to chamber easily. Or if you have measuring tools, you can switch out the holders till you get the desired shoulder bump. Most folks like .002" bump.

Hope that helps.   :)

Aloha.

Offline LR_Shooter

so nothing is wrong with my die, well its either I buy headspace gauge and set chamber as it should or I will buy shell holders.  I'm planning to switch barrel to 260, so headspace gauge sound like good investment...

Offline bozo699

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Ace Member
the shell holders are not a necessity, you can set the die up to bump the shoulder enough, if not then the positive shell holders you buy from Redding won't help at all as they are plus .002,.003 ect ect and you would need to be negative to get the job done or take a little off the bottom of the die.
Wayne. 
Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
Aim Small Miss Small.

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+97)
  • Ace Member
Get a good headspace gauge, either the Hornady or Sinclair, and the issue will be settled. I've never seen the need for the shellholders of various thickness. I've been using the same couple of standard shellholders for many years now, for dozens of different 6BR case head ctgs., have the Redding FL S type bushing die adjusted to bump the shoulder back .001" to .002", and it's a non-issue for me. Keep it simple. I've never found the small area that is unsized at the base of the neck to be an issue either. It's caused by the radius that must be on the bushing for a smooth entry of the case mouth, otherwise it could hang up and the case neck would be crushed. Actually that small ring is conforming to the chamber diameter at the base of the case neck, providing a snug fit, a good thing.
Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline CatShooter

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ace Member
I got this die and I tried to FL size using 0.268" bushing, but it won't resize whole neck any ideas why?
when I pull it back from the die I have to apply lots of force to get it out... Brass is lubed with imperial, body and inside of the neck.

scratches on the brass are from trying to chamber it, I think its headspace its to(o) hard to turn.

This die is not really a full size die, it is a shoulder and body size die - the die itself, does NOT touch the neck.  The bushing sizes the neck.  You can adjust the amount that the neck is sized by adjusting how much the bushing is forced over the neck.  Many shooters just size 1/2 or 1/3 of the neck.

That small part of the unsized neck that you are talking about, comes from the shelf area that the bushing sits on, plus the bushing has a rounded edge, so a little bit of the neck cannot be sized, and as another respondent commented, this is absolutely normal.

Have you left the Redding expander button on the decap rod... these are sometimes very hard to withdraw.  Redding includes a small collet to hold the decaping pin in place WITHOUT the expander button - it makes things easier if you use this, and do not expand the neck on the way out.

There is no need for headspace gauges or comp shell holders.

CatShooter.
Spring has sprung, da' creek has riz, I wonder where dem kitties is?
Here Kitty, kitty, kitty.

Offline LR_Shooter

thank you for all the replies!  CatShooter, I was playing with this die resizing cases then trying them in my chamber, but bolt is still hard to close or open, so I thought maybe its not  touching shoulder.  However I did play with candle and I was bumping shoulders more then just 0.001.  Because I start reloading 6BR on the short notice I don't have Hornady Headspace Gauge in .350", but its on order.  The expander, I did leave expander on, I tried to take it off last night but couldn't get it to turn, I'll get it cracked, just trying not to scratch it while doing it.

Offline fdshuster

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+97)
  • Ace Member
LR_Shooter: Reviewing your postings, I do not see any history noted of the brass. Has it been fired in your chamber only? How does new Lapua chamber? And what about case length versus chamber length? Do you know what your chamber length is and are trimming accordingly? I guess there is always a chance the case mouth could be hitting the end of the chamber. By all means, get rid of the expander button. That's the reason Redding includes the small fitting to hold the decapping pin in place without the expander. I understand some do not believe in, or use the Hornady/Sinclair headspace and bullet seating depth gauges, but I use mine constantly. First measurement I take with a new chambering, is headspace length of the fired case as it comes out of the chamber, record that length, and adjust the sizer die for that before mentioned .001" or .002" bump. Use the bullet seating depth gauge and keep a record of erosion as it develops so seating can be kept at touching, .010", .020" etc. of jump. One of my most valuable tools, after the Hawkeye. ;)
Civilian Marksmanship Program/ Distinguished Pistol, 1982

Offline LR_Shooter

Brass fired twice it was neck sized new out of the box, then it was neck sized again, its when I noticed I cycling problem, now I'm trying FL size it.  Brass is short it was 1.500 new now its 1.550", I don't see any scratch marks on the mouth so assume its not anywhere close to be touching end of chamber, I only see scratch marks on the body close to the head and on the shoulder. 

Offline ridgeway

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Ace Member
make sure you don't have the bushing screwed down tight as it could cause concentricity problems, put the bushing and turn down stop until snug, then back off about 1/4 turn. best of luck to you.
Wayne.
I have a Redding Type S Dasher die that is the total opposite.  If I let the bushing float, I get +/-.002-.003 run out.  If I tighten the bushing snug, I get +/- .0005 run out.  Experiment and see what works best.
Chuck
chuck at ridgewaybodies dot com
Custom Savage Bolt Handles

Offline CatShooter

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Ace Member
thank you for all the replies!  CatShooter, I was playing with this die resizing cases then trying them in my chamber, but bolt is still hard to close or open, so I thought maybe its not  touching shoulder.  However I did play with candle and I was bumping shoulders more then just 0.001.  Because I start reloading 6BR on the short notice I don't have Hornady Headspace Gauge in .350", but its on order.  The expander, I did leave expander on, I tried to take it off last night but couldn't get it to turn, I'll get it cracked, just trying not to scratch it while doing it.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser...

There have been a lot of posts that have clouded the air, so to speak.

You need to get to the point where the problem appears, in order to sort it out.

1 - First, look at the base of a fired (not sized) case, just about 1/4" above the rim - is there a bulge that sticks out maybe 5 thou?

2 - Do you have any fired cases that have NOT be sized - if so, do they chamber OK, or are they hard to chamber?  Stand the rifle on it's muzzle (on a carpet) and drop a fired case straight down into the chamber, and close the bolt - other than snapping over the rim, is there any resistance to closing the bolt? They should go in easily.

3 - If no to #2, then take two sized (with the expander button in place) cases, without bullets, BLACKEN the upper body and sholder, and neck/mouth.  Now do the same.  What happens?  If there is resistance, where is the most black gone from?

4 - Now do the same as #3, with blackened cases and bullets (no powder or primer)... let us know what happens.

"Inquiring minds want to know" ;)

« Last Edit: 04:31 PM, 06/28/11 by CatShooter »
CatShooter.
Spring has sprung, da' creek has riz, I wonder where dem kitties is?
Here Kitty, kitty, kitty.

Offline LR_Shooter

Yes I have fired unsized brass, there is something weird I noticed, never seen before...  Yes they are hard to chamber, open and close.
Look at this pressure formed line running from shoulders to the base:

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.