Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: 6BR vs. 6XC?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline BoilerUP

• Trade Count: (+6)
6BR vs. 6XC?
« on: 02:13 PM, 06/01/11 »
  • Thinking about getting a new prefit barrel for a Savage build, and after spending many hours on this website and contemplating many calibers I think I've narrowed it down to these two.  Big draw to these is no fire forming of brass, efficiency, and relative lack of recoil.

Intended use: paper, steel, and possibly varmints to 600yd. 

My research has left me with a few questions I was hoping those with experience using these calibers can help with:

1.  6XC Norma brass through SSS is a bit cheaper than 6BR Lapua brass - is the XC brass as durable as the Lapua cases?

2.  I know what the cartridge pages say...but what kind of velocity increase over the BR might I realistically see from the XC? 

3.  How much barrel life does the XC give up to the BR?

Thanks for the input!

Offline WyleWD

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Ace Member
    6BR vs. 6XC?
    « Reply #1 on: 07:52 AM, 06/02/11 »
  • I have both the 6br and the 6xc.  I've won matches with both of them, and one shoots as tight of groups as the other out to 400yds.  If the gunsmith does his work well, and you do your part well (loading and shooting) this is a no lose choice in my experience with them.

As far as your question on brass, I've had much less trouble with the XC brass than I have the Lapua 6br. (I might have got a couple bum boxes of Lapua)  And as far as brass life goes that remains a toss up too at this point.

From my experience the cartridge pages are relatively close on velocity capabilities.

I can't comment from experience on the barrel life difference as to this point they're still doing fine at well over a thousand rounds.  WD

Offline JerryMay

• Trade Count: (0)
    6BR vs. 6XC?
    « Reply #2 on: 01:33 PM, 06/02/11 »
  • Another cracking cartridge well wrth looking at is the 6mmx47 Lapua, good brass and the advantage of small primers.
    Jerry, (UK).

Offline Bob3700

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ace Member
    6BR vs. 6XC?
    « Reply #3 on: 02:19 PM, 06/02/11 »
  • Out to 600 yds, 6mm BR hands down. 

I would give the accuracy advantage to the 6BR, they just shoot small groups.  Velocity wise, they are right on the heels of the 6XC.  A 5 to 8 gr less powder per cartridge and a bit less recoil is a worthwhile advantage.

Lapua brass is excellent and the XC has a host of brass available that can vary in quality depending on make and vintage.

Bob
    Bob Beckett
    In Sight of the St. Louis Arch

Offline HPMike800

• Trade Count: (+1)
    6BR vs. 6XC?
    « Reply #4 on: 03:45 PM, 06/04/11 »
  • The 6BR has better brass. The new 22-250 Lapua brass  may change that but you will have to from them.

With heavy bullets, the XC will give you about 150fps or so more speed.

The XC barrel life is about 1/2 of the BR.

If you want to shoot 115gr bullets (7.5tw) you'll need the XC.

Hold Hard,
    Mike Toliver

Offline Forum Boss

• Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+3)
    • Ace Member
    6BR vs. 6XC?
    « Reply #5 on: 03:56 PM, 06/04/11 »
  • The 6XC is a very accurate cartridge. In the world 300m championship, it was the first cartridge to dethrone the 6BR. The Norma brass is very good, although I think the Lapua 6BR brass, with periodic annealing, may last a few more loading cycles.

The 6XC burns more powder and will have more recoil (because you'll be able to drive the 105-108s to higher velocities).

I wouldn't hesitate to try either, and I don't think the 6BR has a major accuracy edge. A 6XC from a good barrel will probably outshoot a 6BR in a medium quality barrel.

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
    Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
    Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.