Powder Valley Sinclair Int'l Midsouth Shooters Bruno Shooters' Supply Bullets.com Shooting Supplies Lapua Products at Grafs.com Click to Donate to Site
By Clicking HERE to Shop at Amazon.com You Can Help Support the Forum.

Author Topic: Anyone Shot the 8208 in a 308 with 150 grain hunting bullets.  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Rustystud

• Site $$ Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ace Member
Looking for someone with experience loading a 308 with 8208 powder.
Nat Lambeth

Offline 6BRonwheels

• Site $$ Contributor
I have used IMR 8208 with the Barnes 130 and 150 TTSX bullets with great sucess in a Savage 308.  The 150 grain bullet has an MV of 3100 with a max charge is 46 grains.
Good shooting,
Jack Neale

Online Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Ace Member
I have not shot hunting bullets but fired a little over 500 Berger 155.5 FULLBORE bullets from a 26" .308 using 8208 XBR. Velocity and accuracy were both excellent, ~2990 fps and .2-.3 MOA, respectively. I shot this load in two 1000 yard matches at Camp Pendleton. Vertical was very good and scores were decent but I went back to the 210 BT-LR because I did not like the way I was blown around on the target.
Sleepygator

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Ace Member
Steve,

going off topic, how is the elevation with the 210s in your experience? GB F/TR shooters have returned to 155s except in very difficult winds because of claims that they hold their elevation much better than the 210gn Berger VLD.

On 8208-XBR, those are interesting results with 155.5gn Bergers. Our Hodgdon / Alliant / IMR importer has only taken one (presumably small) consignment of the powder to date and I didn't manage to get even a single 1lb tub before it was sold out. I had been thinking of it for 6PPC rather than .308 Win though, but from your experience, it's obviously worth a try in this cartridge too.

Laurie,
York, England

Online Steve Blair

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Ace Member
Laurie,

I am actually shooting the 210 BT-LR, not the VLD. I found the LR much more forgiving than the VLD. During a 5X1000 tournament here at Camp Pendleton, one of the F-Open shooters commented that he had never seen a .308 hold elevation like that. I was shooting 210 BT-LRs over RL17. There were a few problems initially but I believe that those are sorted. My 30" Savage was able to deliver a 150-10X at 900 during last year's Arizona State Palma Championship. So, the short answer is they will shoot but may need more attention than other bullet weights. We have a Palma match at Pendleton 8 May and I will be shooting the 185 BT-LR in that match. They have shown very good ES/SD numbers and small 300 yard groups. We shall see what they do at distance. I have a new PT&G reamer on my desk specifically ground for 210 BT-LRs. It has a .281 freebore and allows an OAL of 3.150 when touching. Past experience guiding, I will likely shoot them around 3.125. The reamer will chamber a new Bartlein due in May and mate to a Bat 3L14OCTPIC due in June.

Regarding 8208; several other readers have commented favorably about the 155 bullet weight in .308. It seems to be a real sweet spot for the powder. A point in its favor is high density. It delivers velocity at reasonable pressure without compressed loads. I have also found excellent 6BR results with Sierra 107 molys where the density is again an advantage.

Attached is a silhouette shot with my Pierce 26" tactical off the bipod at 300. The first seven went in .852" but the afternoon wind was increasing and there were no more let offs. The last three went a bit astray. I shot the same 155.5 load at a 1000 yard match but found the wind deflection relative to the 210 distracting. The scores were Ok and elevation excellent but I just did not like being blown around like that.
Sleepygator

Offline Laurie

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Ace Member
Many thanks Steve - food for thought.

Offline dennisinaz

I have used IMR 8208 with the Barnes 130 and 150 TTSX bullets with great sucess in a Savage 308.  The 150 grain bullet has an MV of 3100 with a max charge is 46 grains.
Good shooting,
Jack Neale

That is some magic powder if you can get 3100. I can't get 3000 with anything I have tried without classic pressure signs!!  3000 used to be the holy grail for 30-06 and 150 grain bullets!

I haven't tried the 8208 as it has never been in stock locally and never in stock when I have made a powder order elsewhere...

Offline Heavies

• Site $$ Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Hawaii's Firearm and 2a forum
IMR 8208 XBR is sweet with 155 Amaxes out of a 26" PSS .308 Rem 700.
44.7 grains, Lapua brass, Russian primers, 2.840" OAL (jumped a mile).

I also use this powder in my 6mmBR with 95's, 105's, and 107's. Great accuracy and speed.
Any one used this powder in a Dasher or BRX with the heavies??

This powder is terrific IMO. I'd like to run it in everything I own if I could. :)

Recent Classifieds

DONATE HERE

Sold Stuff Here? Donations Keep our Classifieds Free.

Facebook LINK

Advertise

CLASSIFIEDS RULES

All sellers must have a complete Forum profile, including City, State, and VALID email address. All sellers must provide current true identity, phone number and address to buyer on request.

All sellers must enable their email and private message options.

Sellers MUST state an asking price for all listed goods, which may be supplemented by a request for offers. This site does not provide auction functionality, so there is no automated procedure to accept, qualify, or rank bids.

All sellers must mark sold items as "SOLD". And delete your ads when the transaction is complete. A "stickie" explains how to do this.

All sellers must disclose if the item is posted for sale elsewhere and state that the item is "subject to prior sale."

Any seller who uses deceptive photos, lies about key components or major defects will have his advert deleted without notice and is subject to being banned from the Forum forever.

PROHIBITED PRODUCTS

1. Damaged or bulged barrels (unless they are sold only as salvage metal and are clearly described as "not to be used with live ammunition".)

2. Loaded ammunition that has been loaded or reloaded by a private party (e.g. NOT factory-loaded ammo).

3. Hand-mixed powders of any kind, or powder of unknown origin/date/burn rate.

4. Any actions, rifles, or sound suppressors with damaged or obscured serial numbers.

5. Scopes with broken internals or broken lenses.

Commercial Ads
Commercial businesses which are current, paying sponsors may post Classifieds. These shall be posted in the "Commercial Sales" area ONLY. If you sell products commercially, and are NOT paying for advertising, you are NOT allowed to post Forum classifieds. Companies in violation will be black-balled.

POLICY VIOLATIONS
Any member selling/trading any item(s) on this board who accepts monies from another member without sending out the items purchased will be permanently banned from the Forum.